The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 25, 2009, 04:49 PM   #226
WarMare

I was invited on here by a gent here after I wrote an essay called Women, Handguns and Civilization.

I'm a writer (fiction, non, political and cultural essays), a knitter and weight lifter, a currently horseless horsewoman. (Had to euthanize my fine mare Banner back in October and haven't yet had the heart to look for another.) I expect that when I do, I'll end up looking for a rifle because I should eventually like to go hunting with my horse.

Not much else to say.

Erin Solaro
Old August 26, 2009, 07:56 AM   #227
Doc_fuller

Hello all. I am a 29yo Navy Corpsman who lives in Fayetteville NC and is stationed in Jacksonville(Camp Lejeune). Right now I am out here in the sand box on my 5Th playground trip ( 2d time in a hospital; no bullets flying and lots of down/computer time. I am not complaining though, If I am busy then someone else usually had a very bad day) Thats about it, oh yeah I like to shoot too.

-Doc

-Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
Old August 26, 2009, 09:21 AM   #228
ustc instructor

Just a friendly hello

Hello all new to TFL just wanted to say hello to everyone. A little about myself: I was in law enforcement for 15 years rode motorcycles for 9 years of the 15. I have been a firearms instructor and general instructor for 12 years. I had an opportunity to leave law enforcement and start a career in firearms and tactics training. I love to teach and meet new people. I am currently an armorer instructor with collateral duties as a firearms instructor. I work for U.S. Training Center in northeast North Carolina where I have been since 2003. I currently teach Mossberg shotgun armorer, Ar15/M16 armorer, and a 1911 armorer courses. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Old August 26, 2009, 03:43 PM   #229
Fish_Scientist

I followed a link from another site I read to find The Firing Line.

I'm mainly a hunting enthusiast (varmints, birds, deer/elk), but recently purchased a handgun for personal and home protection and will be applying for a CCW in the next month or so. I read this forum as a way to hear what others think about guns, shooting, personal/home protection, and politics. I tend to lurk more until I get a "feel" for a message board, but I will be reading. (Because--politcally, at least--I'm in the minority, I'll keep my own opinions to myself until I really know how the board operates.)

Steven
Old August 26, 2009, 05:36 PM   #230
killbucket

Hi! I'm Killbucket. My particular sickness is airsoft guns. BIG airsoft guns. I used to make airsoft copies of

Browning M2's and

1919's.
Some of you may recognize me as the voice of Air-Sharp.

I've retired from making ANYTHING, and now mostly research Grandpa's old guns (and large women) online.

Just want to say hello to everybody, and if anybody has questions regarding airsoft in particular, I'd love to be of assistance.
Old August 26, 2009, 10:39 PM   #231
JerseyDrez

A new purchase, and a new member..

I hate the stickied introduction threads, no members other than noobies go in there and I feel they are a waste of time.

Well the name is Drez and Im from, obviously, NJ (everyones favorite state haha!) Im on few other boards, mostly for sport bikes. I bought my first firearm about 2 months ago, and just purchased another a few days ago so I thought Id say whats up and maybe post up a picture of them. I also have a shotgun on order, it should be arriving at my LGS tomorrow. Im pretty excited.

So I basically hope to learn whatever I can on everything firearm related. Im somewhat inexperienced and forums are a great way of getting informed (by the right people of course. A few of my family members are hunters so Ive shot here and there when I was a bit younger, but its great having my own guns now. Its kind of annoying though, everyone wants to shoot them now.

My first weapon I sort of purchased was a P22, I bought it from a relative. Not only was the price unbeatable, it was pretty much brand new and barely fired. Its seen about 3 or 4 range days, and although with its short barrel and relatively small grip, I love it and am getting better at shooting it. And I just bought this bad boy, a GSG-5. People love giving me **** about it but damn is it a fun gun. Unfortunately, you have to upgrade a few things and do this and that but after it, its a blast to shoot. Ive added a few things to it, next thing Im planning on getting for it is a real H&K stock as the factory one is rather..flimsy.

If you wanna see some pics, let me know.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "

Last edited by JerseyDrez; August 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old August 27, 2009, 01:07 PM   #232
crankyranke

FNG here

my name is nate and im from southern indiana and happy about it. love to hunt small game, turkey and deer. starting my gun collection and i have 11 but i am finding that 11 isnt nearly enough. i have carried a weapon since i was 18 (is 18 in indiana) joined the army at 19 and havent looked back. did 3 yrs in iraq as a cav scout and loved it. currently a staff sergeant. married with 2 girls. one of the reasons im on here is that the more i learn the more i realize just how little i know. forever a student. and the things i do know need to be passed on to others when they seek it. anyways im glad i found this site u guys r awsome thank you.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:57 PM   #233
Bud Helms

Ladies and gentlemen, this thread is for new member introductions only. It is not a discussion thread, a welcome thread, nor is it a photo album thread. Please take discussions to the proper forums.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:56 PM   #234
Fusion Security

Hello from Dallas, TX

I am new to this forum and represent a tactical equipment and security company. Hopefully I can learn alot from you and maybe give some good info in the process.
Old August 27, 2009, 10:46 PM   #235
Nightowl

Hi all. I'm 62 now and started shooting when my dad got me a .22 target rifle and took me to the local range when I was about 13. I've been hooked ever since. I started reloading shortly thereafter. I used to live in Va. and before I moved to NC, I did my time in the Military. I had a FFL until it lapsed in 1995. I moved to New England 16 years ago for economic reasons and my Brother-In-Law harassed me until I got my Class A LTC, we joined a gun club together and since I retired, I've had more fun than the day the hogs ate my brother. I was browsing on the Internet one day a few weeks ago and discovered this forum by accident and as they say, "the rest is history." BTW, I still have all my fingers and can see out of both eyes. I think this forum is an extremely valuable resource and look forward to visiting every chance I get.
Always - Safety First!
Old August 28, 2009, 12:32 PM   #236
AmmoSphere

Hey Guys,

From Komufornia. What's up?
Old August 29, 2009, 09:18 AM   #237
wm.mcintosh

Hello....

New to TFL. Have carried a firearm since age 18 when I joined the military in 1979. State certified firearms instructor and security firearms instructor along with other instructor certifications. Look forward to exchanging ideas.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:42 PM   #238
[email protected]

joined here a long time ago, but only read until a few days ago. Been shooting since I was probably 7 or so. Don't hunt, but love to target shoot.
Currently have:
Hi-Point 995
Walther P22
Baikal IZH 81KM
Mossberg 500 20ga pistol grip
Remington Nylon 66
Winchester model 94 32 Win Spl. Pre 64

Need:
something in 223, maybe single shot
1911 5"
9mm carry piece
Old September 1, 2009, 10:43 PM   #239
scrub12b

hey, I'm a new poster but I have been lurking for awhile.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:45 AM   #240
ARB

Hello folks, good to be a part of this Forum. Hoping to learn a lot from all of you. Maybe, impart some wisdom of my own. Keyword, maybe.
Anyway, I'm from Missouri, married with a 6 yr. old boy that's growing like a weed. Love the outdoors and everything that goes along with it.(Except, maybe the skeeters.) Always, looking foward to some time at the range.
Old September 3, 2009, 07:35 PM   #241
marcchristopher

New Member - Marc Christopher P22 Problem

Retired USN ... getting ready for you know what ... have 2 Walther P22s and noticed that 40 grain 22LR Mini-Mags do not fire but the 36 grain does... what the heck? Both same brand CCI marked "High velocity". Thought I had a bad batch of 40 grain but the rejected shells from the P22 worked fine in rifle?

What is the difference between 36 grain and 40 grain that makes the 36 fire and the 40 grain not fire?

[Moderator Note: this is not a discussion thread. It is an introduction thread. If you have a specific question or need help with a problem, go to the appropriate forum and post your question. - Bud Helms]
Old September 4, 2009, 09:45 AM   #242
Mitch Ray

Howdy

Figured I'd say hello to you folks. I'm just a low-budget shooting enthusiast from the Deep South. I'm a grad student working on my Master's in Biology, with a concentration in Wildlife and Conservation Biology. I work with Alligator Snapping Turtles, kind of a southern specialty. I like snakes and Taurus firearms so I'm sure to generate some controversy here.
Old September 5, 2009, 11:20 PM   #243
Joey2

Hello

Hi Guys

Just found this forum, and started looking around. I am from Durham NC, retired and love guns an motocycles.

Never saw a firearm I did not like and never been on a motocycle that was to fast.

I was looking for some info about pistol scopes and the correct way to set them up. I am OK with a rifle scope, but never dealt with a long relief scope. I am sure there is some tricks to this animal.

I have a 308 striker with a cheap tasco scope on it, also just bought a 17 HMR striker I have not recieved yet. I should get it early next week

Hopefully, some scope expert could give an Ol'Man some tips.

Joey Fletcher
Durham NC
Old September 5, 2009, 11:24 PM   #244
Latex Ducky

Hi I'm new
Old September 14, 2009, 01:58 AM   #245
Glenn Dee

Hello Everyone... My name is Glenn and I'm a gunaholic. Seriously though... I happened on this forum while doing some research. You all seem to be a friendly, and helpfull group. I hope my membership will contribute. Thank you all for having me.

Glenn Dee.
Old September 15, 2009, 04:04 PM   #246
semtex

Hi guys and gals. I'm a long-time gun owner but new to this forum. I hope to make a good contribution where I can.
Old September 15, 2009, 08:43 PM   #247
Waldermar

I'm pretty new here. My husband and I live in NW Missouri. Love to shoot, hunt and fish. Thank you for all your great knowledge and advice. This is one of friendliest forums I've come across. You make a new-comer feel most welcome.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:06 PM   #248
vandyatc

I've been lurking for a while as well and love to sponge in the information. I grew up in a gun-friendly household and was shooting pellet guns and .22's since I was 7-8 years old. I became "proficient" on an old Remington .22 of my fathers and his Ruger Mark II which I still love to shoot when we're plinking around.

I'm not a hunter but have recently gotten my CCW permit. I do a lot of traveling as I'm in medical sales. I'm here to listen, learn, and interact a little for some sagely advice in the tactical, practical, legal, and (to a small degree) political realms.

I have a new S&W M/P 9mm and I love it. I also have an off brand 12ga. that my father in law bought me that seems to be more of a street sweeper than anything else (I haven't even gotten it out of the box yet, but I'll save that for a future discussion).

I'm in the market for a compact version of the M/P 9mm and am looking to learn more about carrying practically and safely in my environment and considering how I have to dress (business mainly most days, and a lot of driving). I'm also looking for advice on how to get my wife, who is a gun HATER, to become willing to learn the workings if for no other reason to lose her fear of guns and understand it as a (sometimes) necessary tool and not a ticking time bomb. I think understanding diminishes the fear and turns that into healthy respect and thus overall safety.

Great place, and so far I've been very impressed with everyone's candor and attitude.
Old September 16, 2009, 12:11 PM   #249
12beretta
Registration in progress

Introduction, new here today

I live in south central penna. Retired, love auctions, gun shows, used to be an avid trap shooter hence the 12beretta name. Currently enjoy owning and shooting a beautiful sporterized 1903a3 done by an old coal regions craftsmen.an early mod.94 30-30, rugerLCP 380, S&W 38 chiefs spcl.early 44 cal percussion revolver. I also love collecting early single shot youth rifles, they come and go to support my habit. Currently have a near excellent stevens crackshot mod. 26 in 32 cal rimfire. Most of my time lately is spent searching for 32 Cal. rimfire short. I am getting used to this site and will enjoy it.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:23 AM   #250
AWDstylez

Hi

Hi everyone. I'm here and I'm done with those idiots at opencarry.org. I'll try my luck over here for a while. If anyone has any question, I've got the answers.

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent