The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 16, 2015, 04:26 PM   #1
KCRaider21

Where to meet for gun transaction?

When selling guns to a private individual, where do you meet to ensure everyones safety? Do you do anything other than a bill of sale?
Old August 16, 2015, 04:44 PM   #2
krimmie

Bill of Sale, exchange of drivers license, usually in front of Bass Pro shops, or a local gun shop/range.
Old August 17, 2015, 10:03 AM   #3
cc-hangfire

+1 to krimmie's answer. No one would be surprised to see a firearm in the parking lot of a gun shop or a sporting goods store.

Sometimes if a sporting goods store isn't convenient I pick a large parking lot in a high visibility area. Enough folks within eyesight to have witnesses, parking lot large enough to get in a less populated corner so we aren't handling guns at the front door. And daylight hours so there are other folks around.

Two copies of the bill of sale (one for each of you) & over the buyers signature a statement that they are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. Both show drivers license & I verify that they fill out the same address as their DL on the bill of sale.

Last edited by cc-hangfire; August 17, 2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 17, 2015, 10:29 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

+2 for the answers.
Old August 17, 2015, 10:47 AM   #5
JERRYS.

whats wrong with the public parking lot at the local p.d.?
Old August 17, 2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Sevens

Never to a bill of sale, ever. Giving your name and address as a guaranteed person who keeps firearms to an unknown person in not a smart move for a little piece of meaningless paper that holds no legal ground whatsoever. (not notarized, not witnessed, etc etc)

I show my driver's license with my thumb over my contact information to prove my state residence and my age and I ask the same from the other person.

I usually meet in the parking lot of a big box type of store, at the far end of the lot (not near the store) so someone walking to the store isn't "alarmed" if they see someone hand over a zippered pistol case to another person.

Most often, one of us sits in the other person's vehicle or we both look down in to an open trunk and handle the firearm inside the trunk for the same reasons.

No bill of sale for a lawn mower or a screwdriver at a garage sale, no bill of sale for a firearm.
Old August 17, 2015, 10:54 AM   #7
BarryLee

Quote:
whats wrong with the public parking lot at the local p.d.?
Yes, many Police Departments are encouraging citizens to use their parking lots for face to face transactions. Some departments are even allocating specific areas with signage and cameras. I do wonder what they might think if they saw a couple of guys handling guns in this area, but I guess you could verify ahead of time that it was ok.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-transactions/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 17, 2015, 11:32 AM   #8
cc-hangfire

Some folks are comfortable buying & selling without a bill of sale. I make it clear that my sales will require one (on Armslist usually).

See this current thread for more on keeping records:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565938

Another issue regarding safety is the before-sale-communication. If anything seems odd or doesn't add up, I just decline to sell (or buy).
Old August 17, 2015, 04:11 PM   #9
FITASC

McD's parking lot, NO BoS, go on our merry ways.
Old August 17, 2015, 10:51 PM   #10
KCRaider21

Thanks for the info guys.
Old August 18, 2015, 03:26 AM   #11
leadcounsel

Well, now in WA we have to go through and FFL due to a new law. Don't let this happen to your state!

Back when we were free to do FFLs here was my learning curve.

I used to do a bill of sale, but then decided I didn't really want some stranger having my DL#, home address in writing, or even a copy of my drivers license.
Of course I'm happy to show it to them, but as for a hard copy, I think that's unwise (burglary, ID theft, etc.).

I just keep a PDF copy of their sale ad, email or PM chains, texts, etc, or otherwise just record their phone, full name, city, for my records, and also keep a copy of their emails. These are all sufficient to rebut any allegation contrary to a purchase/sale given there are time stamps which are probably better than a signature which is not notarized or witnessed anyway.

Of course I will ask the key questions on email or text - mainly to ensure they are not a prohibited person, not a felon etc. All recorded neatly in an email. Also creates a record in case you disappear mysteriously. Good communication in advance to clarify condition, cash sale or trade, expectations, etc. This saves a lot of time, dickering, and weeds out flakes or suspicious buyers.

As for a meet, daylight. Public lot with some traffic but also somewhere that a gun can be inspected without raising attention. A sporting goods or gun store lot is good. Ideally find a camera system to park under in case something goes south. Some will suggest a police station parking lot. Not sure about that one...

I have gone into strangers homes or cars before, but that is not a good practice. I would avoid that.

I would also never have a stranger over to your home for any transactions.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old August 18, 2015, 03:38 PM   #12
ratshooter

I always meet in a dark alley under the dim glow of a street light late at night. I wear a trench coat with the collar raised high and a fedora pulled low down to my eyes. And I always have a spare heater in my pocket just in case. Guns and money are traded, the money quickly counted and I leave. I never leave the same way I came.

Or if I don't feel like playing a crook in a Mickey Spillane novel I will meet a buyer at a gas station just off the freeway that has a car wash on the side. There is an area in front of the carwash that has parking spaces so you can vacuum out your car. Its safe and in plain view of the store/gas station and the fuel pumps. Never had a single problem. Everyone feels safe.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"... Albert Einstein
Old August 19, 2015, 10:40 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Any place that sells guns or ammunition. Walmart, local gun store, etc.

I don't bother with a bill of sale. Most transactions involve e-mails that are saved in my mail account. If I really need to dig them up...
Old August 20, 2015, 12:19 PM   #14
Eazyeach

Walmart parking lot.
Old August 20, 2015, 03:43 PM   #15
Skans

The last FTF I did was in a restaurant parking lot. Nice, easy transaction.

I can't say that I'd be overly concerned about doing a FTF at my home, however. I've bought and sold used cars over the years and this takes place at my home, or the seller's home. I used to use an FFL who did transfers out of his house, when this was allowed. No big deal with that either.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:42 PM   #16
Mannlicher

I guess an honest answer to this question really depends on where you live. In Florida, nothing is required.
I get by with a handshake, and an exchange of cash. Pretty much anywhere is fine.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 23, 2015, 07:51 PM   #17
ejfalvo

Our local PD has a spot set aside for these types of transactions - Craig list, firearm transfer....
Old August 24, 2015, 08:47 AM   #18
vito

I've never bought a gun from an individual, and only sold one once to an individual. I was really naive about selling a gun, but did so after finding an old 6.5 mm semi-auto in the back of a closet of the house I had just bought and moved into. After finding that none of the local gun stores were interested in buying it, I put an ad in the paper and offered it for cash only. The first guy who called came to my house, sat down in my dining room to look at it, and paid me in $20's. I never got his name, he never got mine. I guess that was not an ideal way to do it. That was about 25 years ago.
Old August 24, 2015, 11:17 AM   #19
FITASC

Quote:
I guess that was not an ideal way to do it
Sounds fine to me.
Old August 24, 2015, 02:42 PM   #20
JERRYS.

just had a guy near me state that he was robbed of two AR15s on a gun sale meet.... its a FB closed gun group... fake profile, buyer had three friends show up in another vehicle... met at a local fast food parking lot at 10:30 p.m., said he felt safe because the business was open, had lots of lights and was never robbed before.
Old August 24, 2015, 02:44 PM   #21
FITASC

And that could have happened at any location.........10:30 at night was his mistake..............10:30 AM might have been better. Using emails and the telephone to gather more details might have helped.
Old August 24, 2015, 09:02 PM   #22
Semper Paratus

A buddy and I used to double team. The non buyer would be in an overwatch position close enough to watch the transaction but not so close as to be interfering. Alas he has moved away...not buying much anymore though.