The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 27, 2015, 12:47 PM   #1
DennisCA

Ammo Inventory (it's not what you think- read on)

So last weekend I decided to count my ammo because I know I was low on some and good on others. I finished it and put it on an excel spread sheet and (don't ask me how much - it some where between 1 and 100,000 rounds )
I made the mistake of leaving next to the computer - where my wife saw it.
She exclaimed: (you know what's coming - right?) "Why do you have soooo much ammo? I knew I had to think of something quick - My answer?

"It's for pending Zombie Apocalypse of course!"

She walked away shaking her head, probably convinced that the man she married has gone off the deep end. Doesn't matter - it stop a pending argument in it's tracks and of course I had a good laugh over it!
Old February 27, 2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Gunfixr

In my opinion, and my wife and friends will verify this anytime, there are only two times you can have too much ammo.
When you are swimming, and when you are on fire.

I don't swim, and it's been a number of years since I've been on fire, so I don't have enough.
Old February 27, 2015, 01:50 PM   #3
rickyrick

My loved one urges me to get more lol, I'm the cheapwad

I always get stuck not having ammo through the panics
Old February 27, 2015, 02:44 PM   #4
olddav

Told my wife I did not want a rifle of a different caliber than what I already own. I would have to buy 1K of ammo for it. She didn't understand it then and does not understand now but bless her heart she accepts it.
I believe that most people do not understand that firearms are tools by nature and many tools require comsumables. Cars without fuel are homeless shelters and rifles without bullets are sticks.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:18 PM   #5
wogpotter

I did something similar, but I made a tab for each caliber & another for components.
That way it never looks too "busy" & the Mrs only sees whatever is on the front page!

(Image & application data & format (c) Plonker 2015)

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 27, 2015, 04:24 PM   #6
3kgt2nv

last count I had 80k+ and I find its always what I want to shoot that I don't have enough ammo for.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:33 PM   #7
Rembrandt

There are multiple responses that one could use other than Zombies. Ammo can serve many purposes other than being fired from your personal guns for enjoyment.

- Similar to buying precious metals for investment and hedging inflation. Ammo won't lose its value in times of crisis like other tangibles.

- In times of civil unrest can be used for bartering or as a currency.

- Look at all the money you saved when they start taxing each round.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:37 PM   #8
madmo44mag

Quote:
In my opinion, and my wife and friends will verify this anytime, there are only two times you can have too much ammo.
When you are swimming, and when you are on fire.

I don't swim, and it's been a number of years since I've been on fire, so I don't have enough.
AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 27, 2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Kimio

Man, don't I feel poor by comparison lol. Here I thought my 1k in 9mm was a decent amount.
Old February 27, 2015, 05:39 PM   #10
SPEMack618

I simply told the Lady Friend that when the dollar collapsed she could use my .22 stash to keep buying shoes.
LadyFriend: "I forgot my Boy Scout turned into an infantry officer."
Old February 27, 2015, 05:43 PM   #11
3kgt2nv

Quote:
Man, don't I feel poor by comparison lol. Here I thought my 1k in 9mm was a decent amount.
everyone has to start somewhere.

here is 6500 of just 30-06
Old May 22, 2015, 11:27 AM   #12
Will-j

ammo supply

Damn, I hate coming in on the tail-end of a topic; A few years ago, my worst half got on to me about my "bullet problem"..... [Never learned how to refer to ammo supply correctly]. I was 'advised' [that] "Either it goes or she goes".... Best advice she ever put to me.

My supply has grown 10-fold and she is now a faded memory giving some other sap some [Either-Or] advice.

I really feel sorry for him; I tried to warn him.... Finally told him the best I could do was to keep some of his 'supply' over here and hope she doesn't find out.

WILL.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:51 AM   #13
RAfiringline

Over the last year, I've accumulated quite a bit of 22lr, 9mm and 223 ammo.

I'm not doing it because of some sort of future societal collapse. I'm doing it because prices have gotten acceptably low, and because I don't know when the next nut will commit an atrocity and there will be another buying surge, driving prices way up, making my weekly range shooting more expensive.
Old May 22, 2015, 01:57 PM   #14
madmo44mag

I don't count it any more.
I just worry if the shelves will collapse or the foundation will support the weight.
Old May 22, 2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Will-j

RA; That's exactly what got me concerned back in the mid-to-late 80's.... The "Writing on the Wall" so to speak. After that, it was just as many rounds per arm as I could amass [within reason], and I feel we are definitely not in the minority in this [way of] thinking, as is evidenced by all those commenting on the current state of domestic affairs.

Just what is 'adequate, satisfactory, enough/not enough, too much.. (take your pick)' is up to each person per their own needs, reasons, etc. and whatever they might be, is not up for questioning by anyone for any reason.

I was asked (chided, more like it) by more than a few [friends] just why I had loaded and horded so much ammo when it "wasn't necessary"....Only later to be constantly asked by those same [friends] to give them, or load for them, some ammo for their arms due of lack of said ammo because of the situation we've been experiencing.

I just cannot understand why some still feel that only one box of "X" number of rounds is enough for them, only to have to listen to them moan that they "need some more" because they used up what they had shooting at some rocks practicing... and when asked for the spent brass to help them out, have them tell you they didn't see any reason to save it. Go figure. If I seem to be rambling, it's only because I can't seem to wrap my head around this whole mess. The best to you.

WILL.
Old May 22, 2015, 04:19 PM   #16
Skans

Please, watch a few episodes of hoarders and you won't want to store that much ammo! As long as I have: 1000 9mm; 2000 .223; 500 10mm; 1000 12ga; 500 .308 and 1000 7.62x39, I'm able to sleep at night. Whatever I might have to pay to get more is fine by me, because storage will end up costing me a lot ore than the differential in price.
Old May 22, 2015, 04:54 PM   #17
Blue Grass

When the Boss Lady found out how much ammo I have, she said I had an ammo "compulsion." I said "Of course you're right. I probably need professional help. Tell you what. I'll get help with my ammo "compulsion" if you get help with your shoe, purse,belt, and hat "compulsion." End of discussion.
Old May 22, 2015, 06:42 PM   #18
lamarw

The only thing my wife has ever said about my ammo supply is: "What do you want me to do with all this when you die?" My response was spread it with my ashes.
Old May 23, 2015, 06:15 PM   #19
22-rimfire

It seems to be mostly a guy thing... boys and their toys. Women have other interests usually; shoes are one of the cliches. Stockpile/cache as much as you want to and enjoy.
Old May 23, 2015, 07:54 PM   #20
madmo44mag

The truth is that by buying today at today's prices you are saving tomorrows dollars.
So to the guys with wives that care; just remind then that every dollar you save today by stockpiling ammo at today's prices is a dollar she has to spend somewhere down the road.
Old May 23, 2015, 08:07 PM   #21
22-rimfire

Quote:
The truth is that by buying today at today's prices you are saving tomorrows dollars.
True if you think that today's prices are likely less than tomorrows prices on ammo. I personally don't.

If you have enough ammo, invest the money in today's dollars and you will have more dollars tomorrow.
Old May 24, 2015, 04:06 PM   #22
kilimanjaro

Just remember, with all that ammo, she can take lots and lots of shoes.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:18 PM   #23
Rondog

Man, I just keep yankin' on the press handle and the stuff just keeps fallin' out.....
Old May 25, 2015, 09:02 AM   #24
4runnerman

I gave up counting a while ago too. I shoot to much and replace to much to keep a good record. I can put it this way- We could go into another shortage and it would not affect my shooting for the next 5 or more years. I keep my powder at 3 differet houses to stay with in the legal limits( what ever those are). I just know I am way over for one house. Other then brass for the 6BR I don't think I will ever need more brass, I am more concerned now about maybe starting to buy new barrels and stock pile them as that would be the only issue I will ever have.
Old May 25, 2015, 01:50 PM   #25
Ballenxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-j
I really feel sorry for him; I tried to warn him.... Finally told him the best I could do was to keep some of his 'supply' over here and hope she doesn't find out.
I once had a similar situation where I told the incoming guy "She's now YOUR problem!"
You know what? He actually searched me out some ten odd years later to tell me how right I was, and how he wished he had taken heed.