The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 17, 2014, 08:07 AM   #1
kajvid

Brown Bear vs. .45ACP Bear loses.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1869656

What a way to wake up! 9 footer knocking on the window!
Old July 17, 2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Skadoosh

I wouldn't have shot the bear unless it actually broke something like a window or a door.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:35 AM   #3
kajvid

As someone who's been charged by a brown I can tell you that asking nicely does not work.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:56 AM   #4
mikthestick

I think the fisherman did the right thing. It's a shame he had to kill the bear. I don't believe in killing something not trying to kill me or mine. Unless it is vermin.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Colt46

I'd like to see the autopsy

.45 ACP wouldn't be my first choice........
Old July 17, 2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt46
.45 ACP wouldn't be my first choice........
Mine either, but if that's what you've got ... use it well. Which apparently he did.

Of course, 9 feet isn't especially big for an Alaskan brown bear.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:25 AM   #7
coldbeer

Everyone's heard the story of the little indian girl who shot and killed what was at the time the biggest Brown bear ever with a 22 long - rifle. On the other hand I'd probably soil myself even if I was armed with a 50 cal browning machine gun.
Old July 17, 2014, 10:11 AM   #8
g.willikers

Bullet placement trumps all else.
There was the incident in Ohio of a large number of half starved critters being let loose from a private zoo.
A hungry bear was put down with a 9mm.
Old July 17, 2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Panfisher

Of course the bear was not if full charge at him, and he had a house to duck back into. Story didn't point out how far the bear went before expiring. 7 bullets into the bear while it is still outside is MUCH better than 7 bullets into it after it gains entry into the house. I agree that my beloved Kimber .45 ACP would be my chosen weapon if I had to face a grizzly in full charge (something belt fed, and maybe crew served might top the list), but a .45 in the hand is certainly better than relying on the bear deciding I am not healthy enough for him to eat.

And yes necropsy results would be great for people (like me) who want to know; How many bullets actually hit the bear (if all 7 dang nice shooting under stress), What kind of bullets, What sort of damage done, etc. etc..
Old July 17, 2014, 12:13 PM   #10
MWalsh

Quote:
I wouldn't have shot the bear unless it actually broke something like a window or a door.
Might have been a fear it would have returned at some other point, though, when he wasn't so prepared...
Old July 17, 2014, 03:00 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good shoot. If he came back, he overcame his fear and could have caused massive harm had he entered the house. I'd like to know where he put those bullets.

I'm switching over to 10 mm soon. We've got black bears in my area. Some of them go up to 600 lbs and the state keeps dumping bears into my area. Thanks Fin & Feathers for the extra bears. Fortunately, most bears flee at the sight of a human but the other day while driving to the village I came across a small cub. It couldn't have been over 18" long. Very cute. No mom in sight. I kept driving.

Now, the ones that hang around the county seat even climb up a tree and sleep in the park near the county court house. They rummage through the garbage cans at night but so far none has ever tried to enter a home. In my area (country) my neighbor's house was broken into twice. The second time the bear tore everything up. Cabinets came off the walls. Refrigerator was shredded. Most furniture smashed and shredded. It was not a happy camper (I guess being unable to open up cans of food got it angry. It bit into them, got the flavor but that's it).
Old July 17, 2014, 03:15 PM   #12
A400 Fan

Even though he is not a hunter, but a fisherman, how does one live in AK knowing those bruins are out there and NOT have a decent rifle even if just for bear protection, like a Marlin Guide gun?
Old July 17, 2014, 06:02 PM   #13
KyJim

Actually, it's just an educated guess that it was a .45 acp. The story only says it was a .45 handgun. That plus seven shots means it's likely .45 acp and likely a 1911. However, maybe it was .45 Winchester Magnum or maybe even .45 Long Colt from a revolver (with a reload). Unlikely, though.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old July 18, 2014, 01:26 PM   #14
Isk

For anybody that wants a deeper understanding, here is the local article:

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...ling-residence

This happened just a few miles from where I'm at. It was a Hi-point .45 apparently. Might make a good advertisement for those guys.

Just like anywhere else, two-legged threats are more realistic than four-legged. We don't all keep a safari rifle under the bed.
Old July 18, 2014, 02:44 PM   #15
OuTcAsT

Quote:
It was a Hi-point .45
There's no way ! It would have jammed during each shot and, the Zamack would have exploded on the last shot.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old July 18, 2014, 03:09 PM   #16
filthy phil

Wonder if fmj or hp?
Old July 18, 2014, 05:30 PM   #17
jmr40

Quote:
It had been run off multiple times and was pushing on the glass windows shortly before being shot. The guy waited longer than I would have under the circumstances.

Brown bear or Grizzly? Big difference. The link says Griz. While they can be aggressive, they are much smaller. A 45 wouldn't be my first choice, but the guy apparently had only 1 choice and he made it work
Old July 18, 2014, 05:43 PM   #18
KyJim

Well, looks like my guess at a 1911 was wrong. The Hi-Point has a nine round magazine so I guess the guy shot a couple of warning shots to scare the bear away and still had seven rounds left.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old July 18, 2014, 06:44 PM   #19
Mosin-Marauder

It would have been funny if he was using Brown Bear Ammo.