The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 25, 2016, 07:09 PM   #1
gbclarkson

Springfield Armory advertising - a pointless question

What's with the new Springfield advertising campaign: Saint, due for launch 11/1/2016? The Learn More link just brings up more photos of fitness models. I'VE JUST GOT TO KNOW!!! I CAN'T WAIT. I can; just curious. Does anyone know?
Old September 26, 2016, 03:30 AM   #2
DaleA

Ummm... Yeah.

I don't know, but it looks like a advertising campaign that's suppose to peak your interest.

If you click on the 'Learn More' button you're presented with a bunch of the 'fitness models' that are all young, buff, high-speed, low-drag operators that are probably fluent in self defense courses I couldn't even pronounce and undoubtedly would kick my butt in any fair confrontation you could name.

All will be revealed (apparently) on 11/1/2016

I like Springfield Armory products, this ad makes me wonder if they've mis-identified their demographic.
Old September 26, 2016, 08:33 AM   #3
UncleEd

Yes, I'm puzzled as well.

Last edited by UncleEd; September 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old September 26, 2016, 09:46 AM   #4
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Reminds me of when my wife went in to labor and we had a pool going for day, time, and gender...

I'm guessing it's going to be a training course offered by Springfield. Kinda like Magpul Dynamics. A bunch of videos and flashy cool new c-clamps and leaning from cover all while using and pushing other Springfield products.
Old September 26, 2016, 09:54 AM   #5
g.willikers

Advertising seems to be directed at people who imagine they are what they see in the ads, not necessarily who they actually are.
Maybe Springfield just hired the ad agency and hoped for the best.
Considering all the tv ads that follow the same path of thinking, they must work.
I don't understand it, either.
If you look at ads from the past, they were more about the actual product, not how it makes you a superior being.
Old September 26, 2016, 10:39 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Well, the ad has worked. Y'all don't even know what it is, but it has your interest.

I have grown weary of such ads, like when Hornady announced they were changing everything about shooting on such and such date and all they did was fix an apparent ballistic tip problem they were having by creating a new bullet (but not actually fixing the problematic bullets that are still offered with the defective tips.
Old September 26, 2016, 11:47 AM   #7
DaleA

I actually took an advertising class once. (Back when the ads were painted on the cave walls.) They talked about three phases in a product’s life and they used the Bobcat front end loader as an example.

Phase 1 was when there was no such thing as a little, low cost front end loader like the Bobcat and you had to show people what it did and why they needed it. Lots of, ‘this product can do this job’ type of advertising.

Phase 2 was when the product had become established and there were other companies making the same type of product. At this point you needed to show why your product was better. Lots of ‘facts and figures’ type of advertising showing your numbers were better than the other companies.

Phase 3 was when the product was ‘mature’. That’s when everybody knew what the product could do and probably features and quality had ‘plateaued’ out. That is, the products from most companies now offered the same features and had similar quality. At this point when the product was 'mature' the advertising tended toward the 'immature', i.e. you'd put a gal in a bikini standing next to the front end loader or show your front end loader fighting dragons and demons in a lightning storm.