The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 13, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1
bulletKID

Some help please..

Sup guys. I'm doing my A-Level art project here in the UK on the topic of self induced harm.

I'm interested in creating a composition with cigarettes and guns. Because guns are banned her in the UK for civilians I'm having some trouble creating the image that I desire.

So could anyone take a multiple pictures of their gun 'revolver' with cigarettes within the cylinders, with a note with my name on it next to the gun?

My topic is self induced harm. I see the smoking of cigarettes as a form of self harm, guns are cool and I have no problem with them. I'm just using guns as it bares distinctive connotations. When a bullet penetrates the flesh of man it has the power to kill, by replacing the bullets within the cylinder with cigarettes I'm suggesting that cigarettes have the power to cause harm/kill.

I'm just an A-level student, it is highly unlikely that I could propagate a hate fuelled anti gun campaign. Also, the ownerships of guns is a none topic in the UK, my pictures won't be used for propaganda. Our gun crime is low, there is 0.000001 gun ownership.

I wish I could create a still life which consists of objects that are readily available here in the UK. But I've already invested a lot of time researching numerous artist who depict guns in their unique styles.
So one could say that the gun is an important element that I need to include in my next piece, in order to show some form of continuity/development from my sketchbook onto my final piece.

If you could help me please do. Ill paypal you a couple bucks as well.
Note: The mods approved of my thread, I pm'ed them a request
Old April 13, 2014, 12:13 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Actually, I do consider the picture to be propaganda.

If your topic is self induced harm, I won't argue that people do use guns for that, but, they also use rope, pills, and jumping off high bridges. Guns are in a different category from cigarettes.

Used the way the manufacturer recommends, cigarettes can harm the user. Guns DO NOT harm the user, when used the way the maker recommends.

I think putting the two together is sending the message that they are both in the same category, and they are not. Putting them both together in a photo composition says they are equally "bad", and that, I disagree with.
Old April 13, 2014, 12:24 PM   #3
g.willikers

Why on earth did you pick this forum to help with anti-gun propaganda?
If this is going to be your message, one would have to assume you have been badly mislead by your societies present views.
It wasn't always like that in England, you know.
Oh, right, you probably don't know.
Would you like to know??
Old April 13, 2014, 12:30 PM   #4
bulletKID

That is what I say throughout my sketchbook, guns don't kill.
I will be painting my picture on a canvas with multiple cig packet sign 'smoking kills'. Everything I draw emphasis my message that smoking kills.

My piece will only be seen by me > teacher > examiner. I wouldn't say my work will be harmful even though a viewer may interpret my message differently.
The majority of Uk citizens are not bombarded with anti-gun campaigns that you may experience. So if they were to see such an image they would not come to the same conclusion like say a US citizens viewing my piece would come to.

Last edited by bulletKID; April 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old April 13, 2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletKID
The majority of Uk citizens are not bombarded with anti-gun campaigns that you my experience. So if they were to see such an image they would not come to the same conclusion like say a US citizens viewing my piece would come to.
Even if that's the case, I think you're still going to have a hard time finding someone here who is willing to take a picture that -- in and of itself -- appears to be anti-gun. We see and hear enough anti-gun propaganda from the media and from our politicians, so we sure don't want to feel like we're adding to it, regardless of how you actually use the picture.
Old April 13, 2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Once it's created and posted on the interenet, you'll likely lose control of how the image is used. I do hope that you do well on your project, though.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old April 13, 2014, 01:01 PM   #7
SocialAnarchist

Personally, I can't support this project. The message is clear to me, guns and cigarettes have the equivalent power to potentially harm yourself and others.

The anti-smoking campaign on this country focuses, of late anyways, on people that have smoked and are now suffering or have suffered and died, from the effects of smoking. It is a VERY compelling and powerful ad campaign using a woman named Terri that recently died of cancer from smoking. It followed her life and the recent progression of her cancer. The pictures of her at the end are something you simply can't erase from your memory.

To me your message is far more politically based than anti-cigarette based and my bet is you would consider yourself some kind of avant garde hero if you got gun owners to help you.

Last edited by SocialAnarchist; April 13, 2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old April 13, 2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Marty8613

Sorry

If I had a revolver I would do this. Seems you opened a can of worms. Until some folks realize that all perspectives are allowed in true freedom. People will always fight. I, like these others, don't really get a good feeling. I have a stronger desire though to help a student with his studies and his freedom to do so, however he wishes. I'll see if I can borrow a revolver from an informed friend.
Old April 13, 2014, 01:48 PM   #9
manta49

Quote:
Because guns are banned her in the UK for civilians I'm having some trouble creating the image that I desire.
That's wrong for a start, guns as you call them are not banned in the UK. Maybe you need to do some more research.
Old April 13, 2014, 02:23 PM   #10
bulletKID

Ok are the majority of guns banned? But small percentage are aloud for clubs and clay pigeon shooting
Old April 13, 2014, 02:35 PM   #11
manta49

Quote:
Ok are the majority of guns banned? But small percentage are aloud for clubs and clay pigeon shooting
Anyone over the age of 18 can have a firearm if they want in the UK. For hunting and target shooting and self defence in some cases. Black powder handguns are also allowed. If you are looking pictures of revolvers you are correct you will get more in America. I doubt you will get anyone posting photos of their revolvers with cigarettes in them on this forum. But some might you never know good luck with your project.

Last edited by manta49; April 13, 2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old April 13, 2014, 03:45 PM   #12
bulletKID

I will pay 20 dollars
Old April 13, 2014, 03:48 PM   #13
g.willikers

Revolvers are still legal to own in the UK, with registration and permission of course.
But they need very long barrels, to supposedly prevent them from being carried concealed, maybe.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:20 PM   #14
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty8613
Until some folks realize that all perspectives are allowed in true freedom.
That's a ridiculous statement. Of course all perspectives are allowed in true freedom, but that's completely irrelevant here. We also have the freedom to decline to help him by taking a picture that appears to portray guns in a bad light.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:33 PM   #15
Sierra280

I'd take a photo for you, but after the cigarettes get gun oil and potential traces of lead on them; I won't want to smoke them!

The Shooters and Reloaders Record Book
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/149051...sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Old April 14, 2014, 12:26 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletKID
My topic is self induced harm. I see the smoking of cigarettes as a form of self harm, guns are cool and I have no problem with them. I'm just using guns as it bares distinctive connotations. When a bullet penetrates the flesh of man it has the power to kill, by replacing the bullets within the cylinder with cigarettes I'm suggesting that cigarettes have the power to cause harm/kill.
I'm awfully glad you explained that, because I would never have drawn that connotation from the image.

Respectfully, if your goal is to suggest that cigarettes can kill, I think you need a different image entirely. Especially as your topic is "self-induced harm." The harm generated by smoking is extremely slow and gradual, accumulating over a period of years and even decades. This is quite different from the harm generated by a bullet wound, which is immediate and nearly instantaneous.

Bad analogy, IMHO.

Also: You are an A-level student and you can't spell "bear" and "allowed"? I thought you Brits complained because we rubes in the colonies were destroying the English language.
Old April 14, 2014, 05:17 AM   #17
bulletKID

Sierra280

ill pay for the cigarettes that will become contaminated
Old April 14, 2014, 11:17 AM   #18
SocialAnarchist

Quote:
If I had a revolver I would do this. Seems you opened a can of worms. Until some folks realize that all perspectives are allowed in true freedom. People will always fight. I, like these others, don't really get a good feeling. I have a stronger desire though to help a student with his studies and his freedom to do so, however he wishes. I'll see if I can borrow a revolver from an informed friend.
I hope you realize the irony of your comment that I used bold type on. You bemoan people not allowing all perspectives while scolding those that choose not to help this guy because they don't like the image it portrays...Freedom means I may not like what you are saying or the images you use, but I don't stop you from doing what you do. I most certainly do not have to support it.
Old April 14, 2014, 06:18 PM   #19
Sierra280

I was trying to make light of the fact I won't do it. Plus, your photo has the direct implication that guns kill people (none of the guns I own ever have!).

I have a great deal of certainty that the cigarettes I smoke are a greater danger to my health than my guns. Sorry.

The Shooters and Reloaders Record Book
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/149051...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Last edited by Sierra280; April 14, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old April 17, 2014, 03:07 AM   #20
bulletKID

Someone just helped me out, thanks for TFL for accommodating my weird request on your forum.

/thread
Old April 17, 2014, 06:28 AM   #21
Targa

I get the message your trying to deliver, cigs are bad and will kill you. My problem with it is that people need to start minding their own business, if people want to smoke , so be it, leave em alone, they want to indulge themselves in large soft drinks and 2000 calorie burgers leave em alone, dip fries in lard leave em alone.....see where I am going with this. Here in the States we are bombarded by propaganda with what society and the government thinks we should be doing and it really makes me sick.

Why not do an art project on the i'll effects that the able bodied, to lazy to work entitlement leeches have on society? You replace those cigarettes with 6 of those clowns and ill work on my photo shop skills to help you out.

Last edited by Targa; April 17, 2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old April 17, 2014, 09:26 AM   #22
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletKID
Someone just helped me out ...
And so, with that, we'll close this one.
Closed Thread