The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1
djohn

Kahr CW45 problem

Hi All,I just purchased a (New) Kahr CW45 Single stack 6+1 in the pipe.Took it to the range to break it in and Thus far I am very impressed with its accuracy for such a sort barrel of 3.6 and the recoil is not bad. The Gun is pretty sweet but here whats not so sweet about the one I have.The problem that when I come to my last round to be chambered it FTF and noticed the problem is that the mag drops out about a 1/4.I put a 150 rounds of Independece 230 gr of FMJ through and the problem persist on every last round.I do not have another mag to test it.I called Kahr and emailed for 2 weeks now for a RA (return authorization) if needed with No response this includes voicemail left for support.Now the Gun is at my local dealer and he is going through the same experience and told me he very well may stop selling the Kahr line up if thats the way the support is going to be.Any ideas or suggestions and whats going on with Kahr.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Ben

I have to send my kahr pm45 back to kahr. It ejects the magazine while shooting. They are going to replace the magazine ejection switch. They are going to fix several other things. Look at my recent kahr posts
Old March 14, 2009, 09:58 AM   #3
djohn

Thanks Ben for the reply and will be sure to call them again.A will be happy If they Give me a RA so I could send it off at least I know its going to be worked on when they get it but over 2 weeks No replys at all err.I am pretty sure once its fixed it will be a great gun.IMO its a nice looking gun,very light and very easy to conceal.
Old March 14, 2009, 10:06 AM   #4
djohn

@Ben just read your Kahr post Wow man I hope Kahr QC is Not lacking.
Old March 14, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Ben

I'm working with the director of customer service and another nice rep named Glen. They sound like they will take good care of me.

Ben
Old March 14, 2009, 11:07 AM   #6
spodwo

Is this something only attributable to the .45 cal? I am looking at the CW9 - I want something small and it's the Kahr or the Glock 26...I have also heard that the CW9 suffers from light firing pin strikes.
Old March 14, 2009, 11:29 AM   #7
djohn

Well can't comment on the CW9 as having issues such as mine CW45 but as far the light striker goes I wonder if that can be from accessive lube because my CW45 was dripping oil down the trigger and when I broke it down to clean it before its first visit to the range good gosh.Not the first time of seeing this because my New sig sp2022 .357 came swimming in oil.So much in fact there where little puddles in the case.I assume this is just for rust prevention though.
Old March 14, 2009, 02:45 PM   #8
NWCP

I've had my PM9 for a couple of years now without any issues. Hopefully they'll get your pistol straightened out in short order for you. The trigger on all Kahrs I've shot have been among the best of any DAO I've seen and I wouldn't mind getting another. I've been thinking about a T9. Good luck on your repair.
Old March 14, 2009, 02:52 PM   #9
a7mmnut

This really is a let-down. I've been wanting a CW40 for a while now. They feel great. Good luck, guys. -7-
Old March 14, 2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Playboypenguin

I have heard of that mag issue a couple times lately. I am betting a few guns made it out with faulty mag releases. I am sure Kahr will do a good job of rectifying the problem. At least I hope they will if they want to see any more of my business.
Old March 14, 2009, 05:19 PM   #11
djohn

@NWCP Yes the trigger is Excellent with out a doubt.
Old March 14, 2009, 11:01 PM   #12
XD45Compact

If you're getting no response back from Kahr....regarding a BRAND NEW pistol (THEIR product) you purchased. Bring the lemon back and get something that will work for crying out loud.

I take it you bought the Kahr, as small in size as they are, to be a CCW pistol. This kind of repetitive malfunction would totally shatter my trust/faith in the weapon to protect myself and family.

I say this because I purchased a PM45 and experienced a ridiculous and unacceptable amount of failures in the first 2 trips to the range....and read about the "break-in" period that's recommended. What total BS.

I brought the junk back and got a Glock. Yes, not the prettiest pistol in the herd....but it goes bang every single time I pull the trigger after literally thousands of rounds of all different types, brands, weights, etc....from day-1.
It's what I trust to protect my and my family's life, period.

I can't believe Kahr even lets some of these things out of the factory to be honest. I've read so many horror stories and to tell you the truth...the guy at the shop where I bought it (and eventually bought the Glock), TOLD me not to buy it (despite it being about $200 more than the Glock, at the time)...he said he had sent so many of them back to the factory from other customers, he said they weren't worth their unreliability (I know....there are tons of people who've had NO problems...I'm just restating what HE said his experience was, having worked in this shop for years). He told me right off the bat to get the Glock to begin with and it turns out, he was right.
XD45 Compact * XDm 9mm * XD9 SubComp * Fusion PRO-Series ELITE Custom 1911 * Fusion Custom 1911 Scout Elite 45 ACP * STI Trojan 9mm 1911 * Ruger GP100 4" .357 * S&W 642 Centennial * Beretta 92FS INOX * Mossberg 930SPX 12ga. * Stag Arms AR-15 Model-2H & 5H * Savage BAS LE - .308 * '09 Savage Weather Warrior .308
Old March 15, 2009, 12:02 AM   #13
djohn

I got the Kahr mainly because it was a 45, light weight and like how it felt and looked and was $449.00 New in box and couldn't pass it up.Sorry now I didn't get the Glock G36 in the first place great Guns they are.Going to cryout real soon if I got no response until they get sick of me.anyway thanks to all the replys and will post back the outcome.

Last edited by djohn; March 15, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:24 AM   #14
Van55

I experienced the same frustration in trying to get a return authorization from Kahr. Their customer service line puts you on hold indefinitely and they are SLOW to respond to emails. Once I did get the RA, the turnaround time was about 2 weeks to fix persistent failure to feed. But I had to pay my own shipping to the tune of about $40.00 to fix what shouldn't have been my problem with a brand new PM9.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:33 AM   #15
chris in va

Quote:
Their customer service line puts you on hold indefinitely and they are SLOW to respond to emails
Not my experience. I emailed them twice about a question with a K9 and they got back to me both times within 12 hours. It wasn't regarding repair though, maybe that's different.

I've read so-so reports about their polymer line, especially the 45's. The all-steel Kahrs seem to have a much better track record...just by reading stuff online.
Old March 15, 2009, 12:15 PM   #16
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Not my experience. I emailed them twice about a question with a K9 and they got back to me both times within 12 hours. It wasn't regarding repair though, maybe that's different.
Not anywhere near my experience either. I have called them twice. Once about a replacement for a piece I lost (where they immediately sent me a new piece free of charge with overnight shipping) and once over an issue with a set of grips I ordered (where they sent out new ones right away with a return package inside for the old ones). I have never even been placed on hold that I remember.
Old March 17, 2009, 08:48 AM   #17
djohn

Ok,I spoke with Kahr support on the horn today and explained my problem the very nice gentlemen I spoke with said it was the Mag release and would send one out today along with a new follower.Once i get them I will change it out see how it goes.Hopefully I will have a big grin at the range when she's done meantime awaiting parts.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:01 AM   #18
Ben

XD45,
The reason I don't just sell the gun back is this: how would you like to be shopping for a used Kahr and see this gun in the used gun display case? You buy the gun all excited about your new acquisition, and it jams over and over. Or ejects the magazine over and over. Nobody wants to be the recipient of a defective weapon. Wouldn't that just **** you off if you bought a used gun and shot it and had all sorts of problems with it? That's the problem, people just dump a defective gun when it jams and let the NEXT guy deal with it. Give the company a chance to fix it. That's where we find out how a company really feels about it's customers.

This COULD be an excellent gun. I really want to give it a chance before I give up on it.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; March 17, 2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: didn't know you couldn't say ****. sorry
Old March 17, 2009, 11:17 AM   #19
DBAR

I've always been impressed with the quality of the Kahr handguns. I really like how compact they are, and I'm considering getting a Kahr PM9 to replace one of my back up guns. The back up guns I have don't have the best triggers. With that being said, I haven't been real crazy about Kahr triggers. They are a good smooth trigger, but I'm use to a shorter, crisper breaking trigger. So, I purchased the Glock 36. The Glock 36 hasn't been 100% perfect though. The recoil spring/guide rod cracked on me once, and Glock sent me a replacement. The gun still fired with the cracked guide rod, but now I have a few extras, just in case.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that any quality firearm manufacturer will produce a very good product with a few flaws once in a while. Don't get too frustrated, and see what they are willing to do to help.

Good luck....
Old March 17, 2009, 01:29 PM   #20
djohn

I agree with Ben especially a safety issues,I would hate to trade it off and find out some poor sole suffered seroius injury from a failure of some sort.Hey ya never know it could even be a friend or family member that just purchsed that firearm.I like to give a fair chance it took a little while but know I even got another call today from a gentlemen I was recommended to contact at kahr by a member here in this thread,and that nice fellow from kahr even offered to pick up the ship back fee so I am impressed thus far.

Last edited by djohn; March 17, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old March 17, 2009, 02:32 PM   #21
LanceOregon

Quote:
I'm working with the director of customer service and another nice rep named Glen. They sound like they will take good care of me.

So you actually spoke to the head of customer service at Kahr, yet they still did not issue you a return number?? Just who has to be consulted to give you one? God himself perhaps?

I'm sorry, but I worked in tech support/customer service for many years for both hardware and software manufacturers in the Silicon Valley, and you are NOT receiving good customer service here from Kahr.

Old March 17, 2009, 05:33 PM   #22
smithgal

I got a Glock G36 and it is the best (in my humble opinion) 45 money can buy. Stone reliable right out of the box. Accurate too. I was always told Glocks were dangerous etc. I used to listen. I got tired of buying new handguns that had problems/issues. My brother kept telling me to get a Glock.
I am sure glad I finally listened to him.
Glock is a little bigger than those tiny pocket guns but will go bang when your life depends on it. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire the weapon. It's just like a revolver and just as reliable.
What good is the latest and greatest piece if it jams when your life depends on it?
Old March 21, 2009, 02:58 PM   #23
djohn

Just an Update that I received the mag catch today in the snail mail as promised by Kahr.I removed the orginal one with a dental pick and compared the original to the new both are made of metal,However I noticed the new one has a extra notched cut out just behind where the spring sits in so there is some minor differences.I hope it makes a big difference at the range though.Support also did say they would also send me a new follower but seemed to have forgotten that but not a big deal I hope. Going to test it in the middle of next week and will report back the range results Good or bad.
Old March 21, 2009, 04:56 PM   #24
Ben

Glad they took care of you djohn. Kahr appears very concerned about taking care of existing customers. I should be getting my gun back in the next day or two. I got my new follower and trigger spring pretty quickly as well. I think they replaced the mag-catch while it was in their possession. Lets hope the problems are all taken care of.

I will keep you up to date.
Ben
Old March 21, 2009, 06:09 PM   #25
djohn

Ben,Glad to hear it and I bet now yours will be a hundred percent now because its not a build and release its more of a time taken problem solving fine tunning with craftmenship quality with the fine tooth comb so to speak.