The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 11, 2009, 11:55 PM   #1
lovemyM4

Scope Mounts Ruining My Life

I recently got a Springfield M1a and have a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 to mount on it.

My problem is I the local gunstores don't have any mounts that fit so I need to order online and am not sure which ones would work.

I know that I need a picatinny rail mounts that are 1 inch but not sure what height is necessary.

Here is the link to the gun:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=40

Here is a link to the scope:
http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflesco...5-20x44sf.html

Please help me I have had to return multiple rings that wern't tall enough and having a gun like this and not being able to use it is killing me.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
jpwilly

Medium rings work for up to 40mm Objectives (on a flat surface) bigger rings are needed for 44mm and 50mm IF you don't have any taper to work with.
Old March 12, 2009, 01:04 AM   #3
sholling

You might try ask Bassett Machine if they have any of their Picatinny mounts available. Their Picatinny mount allows you to mount the scope further back then their standard mount - something very important to me. The older design required serious stock crawling. The Bassets are pretty neat people you'll like dealing with them

Anyway even with low/medium mounts you should have plenty of clearance because the Basset mount sits high.
Old March 12, 2009, 03:17 AM   #4
lipadj46

Go here:

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.html

Look for this mount:

Weaver-style M14 Scope Mount $125

Call them and buy it make sure you tell them it is for and SAI M1A. Do not buy a SAI Generation 3 mount they are garbage. The Smith mount is the best low cost mount period. You will need to buy Weaver rings. I suggest to buy the Weaver Grand Slam Steel rings for $18. Add a drop of locktite and you have an affordable rock solid M14 mount.

If you are talking just rings you can probably go with Mediums. Just try to get the scope back as far as you can.
Old March 12, 2009, 05:51 PM   #5
madcratebuilder

You need to decide on what mount, then you well know what rings you need, low or mediums.
A 44 bell on a Sadlak mount well use medium Burris xtreme tactical rings. Lows may clear but it would be tight.
This is a 42 on a Sadlak with med rings.