The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 8, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Savage Model 12 22-250 long or short action?

Next item on "the list" is a new stock for my recently neglected 22-250. I have the stock picked out and I am going to try to get southern fried yankee to give it a paint job. There seems to be some question as to whether it is a long or short action. Does anyone know? How do I find out? I wrote Savage a while back and received no reply.

It also says SP10 and A1

I bought it used, not sure exactly how old it is. Somewhere around 2004 I believe.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 8, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old March 8, 2009, 09:38 PM   #2
onehitwonder

how old is it. most are short. if it's not old look at savage website it will tell you in the description
Old March 8, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

When I bought it the previous older said"
Quote:
12 Heavy barrel Stainless Syn fluted barrel in 22-250 Has accu trigger and
oversized bolt handle Nice gun, Has stainless Leupold bases on it. I'd be
interested in trading.
It does not match up exactly with any on the site. For one it has a fluted barrel.
All the model 12s have short actions on the site.
Old March 8, 2009, 10:45 PM   #4
MZ5

By anytime close to 2004, the 12 was a short action. Verify by seeing whether a 30-06 cartridge will fit into the receiver opening. If it will, it's a long action. If not, it's a short. See Savageshooters.com for detailed info on this issue. There has been an intermediate-length action built for a short time.
Old March 8, 2009, 11:03 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

that was a good idea. I put a 30.06 cartridge up to it and the black tip paint on the bullet exceeded the receiver cut. It was almost exact. Is there any way someone could do the same test and tell me their results so I am sure I have a short and not an intermediate or something.
The stock I am looking at is http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html with adjustable cheek, rail, sling swivels, possibly adjustable butt and a flush swivel for sling. All told more than most of my firearms. With all the options I am not sure I could send it back. I would really prefer to get it right.
Old March 8, 2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Jimro

For future reference,

Double digit models, 10, 12, 14, and 16 are SHORT action.

Triple digit models, 110, 112, 114, and 116 are LONG action.

However there were some LONG action models that were chambered in SHORT action rounds, like the original Savage Tacticals.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old March 9, 2009, 11:00 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Thanks for the help everybody. Nice to have that numbering system cleared up.
Old March 9, 2009, 01:55 PM   #8
MZ5

Based on your cartridge test, you have the short action. Still, the double-check to do is:

1) Measure the spacing of your action screws,
2) Ask stockadegunstocks to give you the action screw spacing on the stock you want,
3) Make sure they're the same.

The only reason I even mentioned the odd action is that I can't recall offhand when that was made. The general rule listed above is correct, namely: 2-digit model numbers are short-actions, and 3-digit model numbers are longs.

Originally, there was only the Savage 110, and all cartridges used this long action. There was simply a stop/block/spacer placed in the receiver to stop bolt movement and limit magazine length. I don't recall whether that changed in the 70s, 80s, 90s, or when. That's where Savageshooters helps me if I need the reference.