The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 7, 2009, 08:48 AM   #1
G BOBBY J

Brenneke Black Magic Slugs

Has anyone here ever taken any type of game with these slugs? I'm an archery guy, but I'm thinking of changing it up this year and using my shotgun for spring blackies. The only experience I have with these slugs is at the range with solid groups at 50 yards. I've just never put them to the test on any animals.

I'm just looking for some actual stories/feedback from anyone who has taken game with these slugs.

Thanks.
Old March 7, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Rigby1962

Been using them for several years for deer hunting and it doesnt seem to matter where I hit them the BM go right through them. All shots have been under 60 yds, just dont get longer shots where I hunt. I like them so much I had my double barrel slug gun regulated for them. Never tested them but they seem to be harder then the regular Brennekes.
Old March 7, 2009, 06:05 PM   #3
banditt007

the most accurate foster style slug will do the job. I beleive all have more than enough killing power. i prefer brenneke's myself. so of them, whichever is most accurate in your gun will surely do the job.
Old March 7, 2009, 06:31 PM   #4
ddeyo1

i use the cheap green box of remingtons and have never had one that underperformed. The first deer i ever shot was with a brenneke, and when your throwing a full ounce of lead downrange the type of slug doesnt really make a difference. I can cloverleafe the Remingtons at 60 and have a 3 inch group at 100. Thats good for any deer, and if you do your part any slug will do more than its part in penetration and destruction of vitals.