The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 6, 2009, 05:13 PM   #1
jintsfan

Mossberg 500 Shorty Question(s)

I've been looking for a HD shotgun and came across a Mossberg 500 Shorty that someone wants to trade me. I don't know anything about it, and haven't been able to find much in various searches.

Do they all come with a pistol grip only? If so, is recoil an issue? Or can you put a stock on it? I handle a .45 ACP just fine. How much more recoil would there be in this?

Does it come in different gauges, and does it shoot both 2-3/4" and 3" shells?

And, last, what would be a fair price?

Anything at all in the way of info would be great!
Old March 6, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
colostomyclown

there's no such thing as a mossberg shorty.

there is such thing as a serbu shorty, usually based off a Remington 870 or a maverick 88, and it's a 12 gauge.

if you don't have nfa privileges, you'll most likely be a criminal by possessing one. they always have pistol grips. recoil is definitely an issue. those guns are meant to be hip fired and as such lose a ton of accuracy, but hey thats the price of a REALLY COOL LOOKING GUN right? it's a novelty in my opinion. you'd be better off learning to use an actual mossberg 500 or remington 870 properly...or winchester defender or ithaca 37, benelli, etc. take your pick and it'd be cheaper in the process. the recoil is way worse than a .45 acp and it's also a different kind of recoil as well. new they usually run around 600-700 but that's for thiose who have the ability to buy them. you'd be better off not trading, saving your cash and buying a remington 870 express with 7 shot capacity, 18.5 inch barrel or mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel and practicing up.

Last edited by colostomyclown; March 6, 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old March 6, 2009, 05:57 PM   #3
jintsfan

I was afraid of that. Thanks for all the really great info. And for keeping me out of trouble! I have a Remington 1100 with a 30" barrel, and I'd really like to find an 11-87 with an 18.5"-20" barrel.
Old March 6, 2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Vanya
Staff

Jintsfan, welcome.

The Mossberg 500 is a perfectly good shotgun... I like mine fine (12 gauge, full stock).

If you do a search (something like "shotgun pistol grip"), I think you'll find that the received wisdom around here is to stay away from pistol-grip-only SG's... painful to shoot and hard to control. And here's a current thread dealing with this subject, which comes up all the time:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=341189

As to price, I paid $200 for mine 3-4 years ago, a youth model with 24" barrel, new (on sale). One of these days I might get an 18 1/2" barrel for it, as it is the HD gun, but it's not too unwieldy as is.

As far as the specifics of what's available, gauges etc. -- just go to the source...
http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products

My advice: look for a basic model that fits you well -- it doesn't need to be all black or tricked out with shell holders or other useless decorative gunk -- spend some money, as much as you can afford, on light loads to practice with, and practice until you're comfortable with the thing. Get instruction, even...
Old March 6, 2009, 06:02 PM   #5
flippycat

if by shorty you are meaning ..not a full size standard model and with an 18.5" barrel already and pistol grip... refer to this thread for reference on its recoil and some other opinions :P http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=342895

As far as price, if it is used and depending on how used they are going for between $250 and $350 though you can still find the random original equipped models wood stock and forend for around $150

sorry Vanya :P...we were typing at the same time...though you beat me by a mile lol
Old March 6, 2009, 07:49 PM   #6
colostomyclown

i think hes referring to a serbu shorty. theyre 12 inch pump shotguns with 3-4 shot capacity made by a company that bases them off of mossberg mavericks or remington 870s and are strictly NFA purchases assuming they're legal. look up serbu shorty. to original poster, the shortest barrel length you want to safely go is 18.5 inches...18 is the legal limit but 18.5 to be on the safe side unless you go the NFA route which i don't know much about except it isn't as simple as going and simply purchasing a gun. the standard mossberg 500 or remington 870 in that length with a 6-7 shot capacity should run you 250-375 like above posters said, sometimes more depending on finish, configuration, etc and are much more effective than a pistol grip at most distances as pistol grips are only meant to be hip fired. i like pistol grip shotguns and have used them a lot, but they wouldn't be my primary shotgun by any means.

My suggestion is go with a Mossberg 500a in full stock configuration unless you can find a deal on a high end 870 model like Remington 870 police magnum.

Last edited by colostomyclown; March 6, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old March 6, 2009, 07:58 PM   #7
colostomyclown

did the one youre looking to trade look similar to this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...suf/serbu4.jpg
Old March 6, 2009, 08:08 PM   #8
jg0001

On the Cabela's Flier I just got, it has a Mossberg "Just in Case" Shotgun, with a pistol grip shotgun that comes in a tube-shaped box. Perhaps this is what you are referring to?
Old March 6, 2009, 08:41 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The J.I.C. is an 18.5 inch barreled 500 with pistol grip only (PGO)...
Shotty may be what he meant? Not "shorty", if he meant "shorty" it is a SBS and needs a federal tax stamp to purchase/possess..
500 is an excellent platform but as previously stated and my posts in other threads will echo...
the PGO equipped gun is only superior in rare tasks of few professions and not for the the LESS THAN SKILLEDat wielding nbattle guns in close quarters or for breaching doors! Buy the gun and a full stock. After you have run a thousand rounds +/- in intentional "self improvement" training or professional instruction you may find the PGO is what you want and at the time swap 'em out.
Since vanya posted the link I replied in I will quote my own reply...
Quote:
The least accurate is PGO. The most difficult to secure from your opponent should they try to take the gun is a pgo. The least versatile in terms of shooting positions is also a pgo. The least safe in CCB is a pgo. The least usefull should you need to use the gun as a club is the pgo...
To each his own but there is no way these points can be disputed... There are approximately 4 others who regularly post here have far better training or experience than me so don't take my word only but please hear these guys out!
I have not seen a reliable rebuttal from any one regarding this statement from any one and especially those aforementioned.
Scattergunbob, BigJimP, Dave McC are the first 3 coming to mind. If you wish, I suggest you PM them so as not to feel "tossed under the bus..."
As is stated in a dern near "trademarked" way "BA/UU/R"... buy ammo, use up, repeat...
The gun you want for HD/SD is an extension of your arm. It should always point directly at your target as a fist and be delivered with a forefinger anytime/everytime all situations.
Thank you for taking your time to read this...
Brent
Old March 8, 2009, 12:33 AM   #10
Katrina Guy

too many slang terms being slung around here for shotgun and short barrel lengths,

now, confusion regarding what the poster actually meant.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:36 AM   #11
jintsfan

I've lived this long because I know when to listen to good advice. I've decided against any shotgun with a pistol grip.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:50 AM   #12
colostomyclown

Jintsfan, go buy a Mossberg 500a or a Remington 870 express tactical off the shelf and spend the rest on low-base ammo (walmart sells 100 rd packs of federal low base perfect for practice for 23 dollars) and a couple boxes of 2 3/4" 00 buckshot take it out shooting once a week, and keep in mind it takes hundreds of rounds to break that gun in. learn the pattern your gun puts out (the way the shot spreads) and learn proper cleaning technique and when you're ready learn to fieldstrip it and reassemble it. after that, just keep some buckshot on hand and possibly slugs and you're good.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:51 AM   #13
scorpion_tyr

Wow... that's a first! Glad to know there's still people with intelligence running around

Check out the Shurshot stocks that remington makes. I've got one on my 870 HD gun and I love it. Gives you pistol grip and full length stock, and it just feels great.
Old March 8, 2009, 04:31 AM   #14
SCREAMIII2006

870/500s Cinderellas of shotguns

Whatever version of the Mossberg 500/590 you get, the stock should be the last thing that is the deciding factor.
Its very easy to change out.Its not like its welded on!
One bolt and the pistol grip comes right off.

You should go to the store and handle each version and purchase whatever feels good to you.

My personal preference is a full stock with a pistil grip.
My 870 has an older Choate ar style one on it and It works for me.
My 590 mariner has a SS butler creek folder on it,which is for the boat and needs to fit in a carry on bag.
My 590 came with synthetic stock,looked bada**,but I decided to switch out the plastic for a wood one off a 500,and like it much better.

There are many options,as opinions,just get one and shoot it.
Old March 8, 2009, 11:38 AM   #15
prc77

I just swapped out my SpecOps on my M500 in favor of the Hogue 12" lop stock. Shoulders way faster and great sight picture with the ghost ring