The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2009, 09:28 AM   #1
madmo44mag

Homemade rat shot shells

Ok, don't beat me I know the info is on this site but after two days searching and still cant find what I am looking for so I have to ask.
I need to load some 38Spl and 44Spl rat shot.
So any recipes ya'll have post them or point the right thread out please. My tree rat problem is way out of hand here.
Old March 4, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
jmorris

Speer sells empty shot capsules. http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/accessories.aspx

As for shooting "tree rats" you are not going to like the results unless you can feed them by hand. They are really only "good" to about 10 feet.
Old March 4, 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
madmo44mag

These dam things come right up to my porch and office window.
I can sit in my office and hit them 4 -6 feet away.
They are not afraid of people.
I'm not to concerned with killing them but discouraging them from coming around.
A pellet gun is out because a ricochet could hit the dogs or other object and do damage. A little light rat shot would run the off. I hope!!!
Old March 4, 2009, 03:21 PM   #4
protectedbyglock

My fiancee's mom has a real rat living in her shed and she wants me to take care of it.
I have some .45 shotshells that would be perfect (I can catch it outside), but the noise will disturb the neighbors (development) and they'll likely call the cops (or LEOs...whatever).
I'm not big on the red ryder because the rat is a big one and will probably just laugh at me (as will the girl's mother if I miss).

I guess I could use a hammer like I did on that one rat in my garage, but that could lead to even more laughing.

Any ideas? If I still had a bow, I would probably just do that...
I have many calibers at my disposal, but nothing really "quiet" per se..
Rat traps are overrated, my rat just set them off and ate the bait. Glue traps disappeared entirely.
I'm thinking maybe CO2 pellet pistol or something...
Old March 4, 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
SL1

If you try a pellet gun, get at least a .22 caliber. I shot a squirrel completely through the chest, just behind the shoulders, and he ran off and lived for at least a month. It was a .177 caliber 8.9 grain pellet at about 1000 fps. NOT what I expected! I want that one OUT of the gene pool, because he is trying to gnaw his way into my house.

Anyway, if you just want to discourage them, then I suggest an airsoft pellet gun, or maybe a paintball gun. They will soon learn EXACTLY how far away they need to be so that you won't hit them or it won't hurt. Smart little cusses.

SL1
Old March 4, 2009, 03:40 PM   #6
mkl

A 38 or 44 shot shell going off will sound as loud as a 2 1/2" shell in a .410 shotgun. Been there done that.

Best way to get rid of squirrels in the city, close to neighbors, is to get one of the "live traps" that is open at both ends. Catch them and relocate them -- release five miles or so from your office. Google Havaheart traps if interested.

A pump 22 caliber pellet gun would be your next best solution. Just three or four pumps is enough and is fairly quite. The "adult" break action pellet guns are loud and more than you need.

A 12-gage shotgun with #6 shot gives really personally satisfying results for the da** pests, but that does not work so well with close neighbors.

Last edited by mkl; March 4, 2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added 22 caliber for the pellet gun
Old March 4, 2009, 03:44 PM   #7
Mr Phil

Gamo has a shot shell air gun

http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?ProductID=71

I have used it on crows that raid our bird feeders - not great range or punch but it peppers them enough to make them leave and not come back.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:00 PM   #8
PCJim

You might try some of these silenced options....

Supersoaker water pistol with detergent/hot sauce additive
Paper clip projectiles shot from rubber bands
Spit balls thru an old Bic Pen shell
Slingshot
Nurf pistol that shoots darts (they're rather fun with the grandkids!)

I'm sure something will come to mind....
Old March 4, 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
30Cal

I would choose a route that will assure 100% that there will not be a dead carcass rotting under the house.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:15 PM   #10
crowbeaner

Try the subsonic 22 loads; they will assure the rat dies and not make a lot of noise in the process.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:52 PM   #11
roy reali

Nature's Way

Do you know anyone that is into falconry?

On the serious side, do you know anyone that owns a terrier type dog? A friend I used to know had some sort of small terrier. He was hardly bigger then a tree rat himself. But that little dog used to do a number on the rodents.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:16 PM   #12
protectedbyglock

He he.... some very good ideas! More than I expected....

I'm leaning towards the paintball gun. I have one, and I bet I could knock the rat out for long enough to hit it with a hammer!
Heck of an idea, those things pack a punch!

I also like the 22cal pellet gun. I don't have one, though.
I do have a blow gun, but that wouldn't work without poison darts.
But then If I use poison darts, I'm back to it rotting under the house. Hmmm.. You know, i don't really like her mom that well....

Roy, falconry is hilarious... I saw a hawk pick up a full grown cat once. Now THAT was funny. My border collie would probably kill that rat, too. He's up to date on his shots, and quite the mouser. Another possibility.

PCJIM, I like the slingshot idea. I wonder if I still have the touch? I used to be a deadeye with one of those back in the day. I could grab a couple ball bearings from work. Those glass beads work well, too.

I think I have a couple of live traps at work. I took them all in there because we had a cat problem. I'd set them up overnight, and empty them in the morning. Always told the ladies in the office that I was taking all the cats to the shelter.... He he... Yeah right.
Thats a good idea, too, though. Maybe score some brownie points with the future mother in law. I'll trap it live and tell her I'm taking it to the woods a long ways away, but I'll really let it loose and chase it with a 12ga.

The possibilites are endless.....really. I'm almost excited!
Old March 4, 2009, 11:37 PM   #13
PCJim

Ah, come on. Give 'em at least some sort of running chance and use a .410 instead of the 12ga.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:37 PM   #14
Inspector3711

Get a Victor rat trap. Bait it with peanut butter. Attach a chain to it and nail or bolt the chain to something big.

Where I used to work in Seattle the traps kept disappearing until we chained them to racking or the leg of my desk They were using my bottom drawers for a bathroom. They quit after the trap caught three of them. Big as cats.

I have a Jack Russel at home... No rats there.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:56 PM   #15
Gazzmann

Mini Mag 22 CB's work well also.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:59 PM   #16
roy reali

Inspector3711

I think that is what that guy had, a Jack Russel terrier. Like you, he didn't have any rodents.
Old March 5, 2009, 12:04 AM   #17
Tex S

Quote:
Anyway, if you just want to discourage them, then I suggest an airsoft pellet gun, or maybe a paintball gun. They will soon learn EXACTLY how far away they need to be so that you won't hit them or it won't hurt. Smart little cusses.
Ain't that the truth
Old March 5, 2009, 12:13 AM   #18
Inspector3711

Quote:
Jack Russel terrier. Like you, he didn't have any rodents
We both spelled it wrong... Russell... Yeah, I've even read that these little dogs will take on a badger. I believe it. She hasn't shown fear of another animal yet except for the buffalo in Yellowstone. When she gets mad she's pure evil. Her teeth are downright nasty.

I read somewhere that most rodents avoid terrier homes. Somehow they know (smell?) to stay away.

A funny thing about my dog. There's a big black tomcat that jumps up on the bench in front of the window and taunts her. She goes berserk. I wonder how often he does it when we're not home. All in all, my dog is as good as one of these can be.
Old March 5, 2009, 12:24 AM   #19
Swampghost

The Sheridan 5mm air rifle is my fav. you need at least 3 pumps to clear the bbl and 10 (max) will take out a small coon or kill a person with a head shot inside of 50 yds. You get your choice of 'thup' or 'thwack'.

I messed with air rifles for about 20 yrs. and the Sheridan Blue Streak is the only one that I've kept.
Old March 5, 2009, 12:52 AM   #20
bullspotter

LOL this is to funny, had a freind that had a tree rat problem, we went at them full force with the paint ball guns. Didnt take long for them to relocate, still get 1 or 2 around every now and then but not like before. LOL it hits them hard enoguh to knock them off the limb their on. I was shocked that they could recover and grab anouther limb on the way down, they move out pretty fast when you tag one.....
Old March 5, 2009, 08:08 AM   #21
SL1

If you consider traps, remember that they can catch things besides your rat.

A LONG time ago, I spent some days in a PATC cabin. There was a message tied to the rat traps. It read:

"Do not set these traps. They are not rats. They are skunks!"

I'm glad they told me, because I otherwise would probaly have spent those several days outside in freezing rain without a tent.

When not molested, the skunks were actually pretty polite. You just had to be careful not to scare one if you got up in the dark.

SL1
Old March 5, 2009, 08:23 AM   #22
darkgael

shot

Quote:
I'm not to concerned with killing them but discouraging them from coming around.
Airsoft.
Old March 5, 2009, 10:32 AM   #23
10 Spot Terminator

find some lye like that they use to add to commercial parts washers and sprinkle some of it along the baseboards in and around the areas where rats travel. The lye gets on their feet and gives them " the old HOT foot" and they go looking for other places to haunt. If you want to put one away for good try this one ,,, get a tall container like a 15 or 20 gallon waste can, put about 5 gallons of water in it, take a short strip of heavy card board the size of a ruler but wider ( 2 inches ) and set the trap up as follows ,,,,, Find a spot where they travel and leave their nasty little calling cards on top of boxes, counter tops etc. where it as high or slightly higher than the container with the water,,, run the carboard strip from the box , counter or whatever over the edge of the bucket several inches and place a piece of bread and peanut butter on the end over the water. Old Mr. rat will drop in the bucket and although he can swim he will tire out and drown. It may be cruel but it works every time . No shooting, no poisons, no empty traps with smarter rats, just results .
Old March 5, 2009, 11:03 AM   #24
blatantevil

An ol' pumpmaster .177 cal BB gun works pretty good for me. It's not really quiet, but it was like $20 at walmart. I shot a rabbit with it at about 50 feet (no doubt some luck was included, but anything point blank is no problem) and pinned the rabbit in the spine just above the hind legs and parylized it from that point down.
Old March 5, 2009, 11:03 AM   #25
protectedbyglock

10-spot, that is brilliant. I'm a total a-hole, so I don't mind the cruel drowning part.

Yep, and jack russells do hate pests. They're awesome at agility trials, too. I'm not particularly fond of the breed, but at least they're good for something (unlike many other breeds I won't name)
My border collie used to catch mice and show them to me. I would always take them from him and chuck them out back, though, which upset him. So now when he catches one, he shows me real quick, and then he swallows it whole. He's a unique dog. The best catch I ever saw him do was in the pantry. He smelled them, opened the pantry door, and knocked over a bag of potatoes. Two mice fell out. He bit one and threw it, then grabbed the other one and did the same before it could get away. Both were dead with broken spines. I've never seen him move that fast. It was awesome.