The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 6, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Greguw

Moving with your guns .

Hey Guys , I have a buddy who is moving from Pennslyvania to Texas ... I'm baby sitting his arsenal ... He is making a few trips back and forth with the family and belongings
I know the long rifles are not a big deal as the hand guns ... I was considering just let him ship himself the hand guns to his new location .

Any of you guys pack up and do the same and take your collection along for the ride ?

Look at Uncle Ted Nugent ..he moved from MI to TX ...imagine his collection move ...LOL
Old March 6, 2009, 11:51 AM   #2
NavyLT

First, I don't understand this statement:
Quote:
I was considering just let him ship himself the hand guns to his new location
Aren't they his guns? Why are you considering "letting" him do anything with his own guns? Since when is it up to you to decide what he does with his guns?

In answer to your question, yes, it is very simple and easy to take your own guns with you during a move. Just lock them up in a trunk or other exterior compartment of the vehicle or put them in a locked case and take them with you. And, yes, I have done so with 14 rifles and handguns half way across the US, twice. Along with 5,000 rounds of ammo, 2 to 3 thousand primers, 40 lbs of gun powder and about 200 lbs of brass and bullets.
Old March 6, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Shorts

While not as an impressive load of luggage as NavyLT, we too have 'car moved' for PCS carrying our own gear. As he said, unload them, pack them up in locked cases, put them in the truck or ext cab of the truck. Take the care necessary for any ammunition. You're fine.

If you'll be stopping at hotels along the way, don't make it too obvious what you're carrying. At night we did bring luggage in with us, especially depending on the area and where the truck was parked in the lot.
Old March 6, 2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Greguw

He's still not back from Texas yet ... He's like a bother and we both have a large collection ...over 100 guns ... He was trying to keep up with me ,
You know when you have a good friend , when he's out picking up a new slug gun and he buys one for you ...LOL
He was flying back and then driving a rent a truck back ... He was going to have me ship them down , to be honest I was not comfortable with that .
The locker sounds like a plan ... I have a few big lock boxes and that should work .

Thanks guys
Old March 6, 2009, 12:59 PM   #5
NavyLT

Quote:
He was going to have me ship them down , to be honest I was not comfortable with that
I would not be comfortable with that either, since it would be illegal. Just have him put the guns in the rental truck first, all the up against the foreward bulkhead, pack everything else in behind them, get a high security lock and he will be just fine.
Old March 6, 2009, 09:46 PM   #6
TEDDY

moving

I put mine up at front and packed everything on and around them75 guns 50,000rds mixed ammo.dot go over speed limit and be very carefull not to get stopped.