The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 3, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1
harleyriderTN

what does everyone think of the raven mp 25

I have a raven mp 25 i got for xmas and wanted to know what people think of the saturday night specials
Old March 3, 2009, 05:13 PM   #2
oldgranpa

raven

I have the Phoenix Raven .25 and although I'd never carry it for CCW, I just can't part with it. Cute little striker fired .25 and it does shoot fine. I wouldn't try to carry it with a round in the chamber as then the striker is cocked and there's only that little lug holding it back. The "saftey" only blocks the trigger but a hard bump or drop might make the "lug" jump out and then it fires.
Otherwise it's a fine collector's piece. Pictures attached shows what I mean.
(the pistol is bright nickel plated but the glare from the light made it look blackish on the first picture. I'll try to pm you the disassembly picture. Due to file limits and it wouldn't let me post it here.)
og
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raven.jpg (72.4 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg Raven25bullets.jpg (106.8 KB, 358 views)

Last edited by oldgranpa; March 3, 2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: file size limits
Old March 3, 2009, 05:43 PM   #3
12GaugeShuggoth

I don't own one, just have a shooting buddy who does. I didn't know what to make of the little "junk" gun when he first bought it, but have been pleasantly surprised at how it has performed. It was bought used, and looked as though it had never been cleaned. We disassembled it and did a quick clean 'n' lube, and since then it has been a little tack driver.

Like the poster above me said, I'm not sure if I'd personally carry it for personal protection, especially if given a better alternative. If it was all I had though, I'd practice with it and invest in a decent pocket holder. Any gun is better than nothing, even a little "junk" .25acp.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old March 3, 2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Jart

I don't have one either but the thread looked like a spiffy opportunity for me to sneak in one of my more oddball purchases.

You've heard of the highly sought-after, alloy framed, nickel plated slide with fake MOP grips Baby Brownings? This is not one of those. It's a standard blue Baby Browning that some creative bubba plated to resemble an alloy frame, nickeled the slide and probably swiped some grips from a Bauer.

A Bubba Baby Bauer, if you will.

Oddly enough, it tends to work if I can keep my hand from interfering with the slide, which I can't do for any length of time.

Good fun but the safety is primitive and it's a tad on the heavy side - makes me think a real Lightweight Baby might be ... nah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BbyR640.jpg (46.6 KB, 247 views)
Old March 3, 2009, 07:20 PM   #5
HisSoldier

Quote:
You've heard of the highly sought-after, alloy framed, nickel plated slide with fake MOP grips Baby Brownings?
Never have. I have both a Bauer and a BB, I can't think of why anyone would want one with an "alloy" frame. (Common car and gun folk terminology for aluminum is "alloy", but almost all metals are an alloy, my stainless guns are all an alloy of iron and chromium, for instance)

Are you referring to Beretta?
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old March 3, 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
bigghoss

buddy of mine had one, it was a lot of fun to shoot. but I'd rather have a small .22 since it's just for the fun factor.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Jart

Quote:
Are you referring to Beretta?
Nope, though the Baby Browning Lightweight had similarities to the Titanium Tomcat in appearance, frame color-wise.

Here's the original thread from THR "Firearms Research" a couple of years ago.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=260096

At the time there were a couple on Gunbroker but none today. The Baby Browning Lightweight was a bit scarce but not to the point of having really high prices compared to the blue version. I've seen listings up to around 800.00 but don't recall if they actually sold for that amount. This one went for 400.00.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=294460

Alloy in this context, much like some motorcycle wheels, is intended to convey "aluminum". In addition to your iron/chromium/nickel alloy, regular 4140 is an alloy. Any attempt to force a dictionary definition of "alloy" into the trade at this point is futile. Much like the dictionary definition of "bronze" means "copper and tin", the architectural trade has applied the term to brass alloys (copper / zinc) for so many years it's become the norm - even adopted by CDA for longer than I can remember. Not that I don't enjoy a little pedantry as much as the next guy.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

The zinc Raven guns have always had a good reputation for working.
The Browning Baby Lightweight at 7 ounces was 2+ ounces lighter than the steel gun. The slides and steel parts were chromed, not nickel. The triggers were gold plated.
Jart- your grips are not Bauer grips. They appear to be genuine Browning grips. Are you sure the frame is steel?

Last edited by Bill DeShivs; March 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Jart

Quote:
Are you sure the frame is steel?
Yeah - check the linked THR thread - good old bubba had one old timer going. Based on the listings I found earlier on Gunbroker, it's close to a dead ringer for a real lightweight. Trigger is off though.

Contrary to my previous posting, there's one that closed recently on Gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=123466489

I had the magnet hanging off the trigger guard and the postal scale said it was exactly what a steel one was supposed to weigh - the lightweight should have been a full 2 ounces lighter.

According to the lister in the linked auction, the slide was nickel.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Stinkfactor20

I had one almost 20 years ago. It was my first gun and I loved it. I think it would jam about every mag or so but it was so much fun and I did not know any better. Pretty accurite, too.

I guess there was the "word wide web", at the time, but I was not on-line at the time. Not sure I even knew what the hell being on-line ment. Otherwise, I may have read a bunch of opinions and reviews about what a POS the Raven was, and I would not have enjoyed it so much!

I would not mind having another and probably will one day. Here is the thing about "cheap" guns: They introduce people like me to our sport who my not otherwise have the means to get involved. While I can an do own firearms with a much higher price tag today, the fun of that little gun started it for me. Gun snobbery hurts us collectively.

Enjoy the Raven.

Stink

Last edited by Stinkfactor20; March 3, 2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Spelling, excuse oversights, please
Old March 3, 2009, 10:41 PM   #11
orionengnr

If you want an honest opinion (and you asked for one) I would use a .25 for a fishing weight. Nothing more.

If I were absolutely destitute and had nothing else with which to defend myself, I would carry that .25 and pray to God that I never needed to actually use it.

I am far from affluent, but learned long ago that my life is worth something. I'd rather eat beans and rice for a while and own a real self-defense pistol that gives me a degree of confidence and a chance of survival should I actually have to use it.

Your screen name is Harley Rider....You can afford a Harley but you can't afford a real pistol? Makes me wonder about what you value.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:47 PM   #12
Average Joe

Well since you asked, its a cheap gun for a reason. They jam a lot, and are not high quality. I would not own one.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:14 PM   #13
HisSoldier

Dang, that one really surprised me, a BB with "alloy" frame. What next?

Honestly, I've never heard of that. Not that I'd want one, uhh, you say they are valuable?

Quote:
Alloy in this context, much like some motorcycle wheels, is intended to convey "aluminum".
Yes, and "polymer" is a nice way of saying plastic in the gun world.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old March 3, 2009, 11:17 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

The lightweight Browning has a Duraluminum frame-very much like the SIGs and Berettas. It is a pocket gun. What is wrong with an aluminum frame?
Old March 3, 2009, 11:17 PM   #15
Playboypenguin

Jart,

I love those little Baby Buers. They are so cute.

As for the Raven...I have shot a few of them in my day, and surprisingly it was always a pleasant experience. They will not win any beauty pageants but they are a fun little gun. I cannot relate in personal negative experiences with them...as much as I would like too.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:58 AM   #16
HisSoldier

Quote:
What is wrong with an aluminum frame?
Nothing, if you can accept it's limitations.
Old March 4, 2009, 12:26 PM   #17
Wildalaska

Junk

WildyouaskedAlaska ™
Old March 4, 2009, 01:59 PM   #18
chucksolo69

I had a friend who owned one, and this time, I agree with WildAlaska, the Raven .25 auto is definately JUNK. My friends Raven had the slide crack after only a few rounds fired. Definately pot metal junk.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:04 PM   #19
batmann

One of those 'cute' little pistols that you don't want to have to use to save your life.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:13 PM   #20
Jart

[threadveer]
Is the Bauer closer to the Browning or the Raven in construction?
Sure looks like the Browning in pics.
[/threadveer]
Old March 4, 2009, 04:34 PM   #21
btolliverjr

Quote:
Nothing, if you can accept it's limitations.
What are the "limitations" of an aluminum frame?

There are many good quality guns with aluminum frames. My Ruger KP89 has an aluminum alloy frame and the Kimber Tactical Ultra II has an aluminum frame. I'm sure there are also a lot of others that do as well, but I don't know for sure of them.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:07 PM   #22
Bill DeShivs

I'll answer several questions.
The Bauers were solid stainless clones of the Browning. Machining was a little rougher, and you rotated the barrel the opposite direction to disassemble.
In a .25 cal pocket pistol there are no "limitations" on an aluminum frame, but there is one advantage, though-light weight.
The lightweight Browning sells at a premium over the blued model because it is lighter and prettier, and was not made in the same quantity as the blued one.

Last edited by Bill DeShivs; March 5, 2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:57 PM   #23
HisSoldier

Quote:
What are the "limitations" of an aluminum frame?
If you, or anyone else, doesn't know the differences in strength between steel and aluminum, please enjoy your aluminum pistols. I'm not going to try to give anyone a short explanation of the differences between aluminum (Of any alloy) and alloy steel.
A long explanation might suffice, but people who want to believe aluminum and steel are the same except for weight would probably not be willing to follow the study, just as people who voted for President Obama can't seem to see any problems in our economy caused by him alone. Why waste the effort?

Ok, Aluminum alloys are every bit as strong and wear resistant as heat treated chromoly steel. Heck with this idiocy.:barf:
Old March 5, 2009, 04:17 AM   #24
Bill DeShivs

Everyone knows aluminum is not as strong as steel. We also know it is considerably lighter. Why is that a problem for you?
Old March 5, 2009, 11:02 AM   #25
martin08

I have three Ravens and they are all 100% reliable guns to go bang - every time, mag after mag - if I could afford to shoot .25acp with any regularity.

As far as the Ring of Fire/Pot Metal guns, the Raven is by far the most trouble free and built to the best tolerance specs. Very little "smoothing" is needed, if at all. None I have ever heard of have cracked a frame or a slide, and all seem to be quite accurate for a fixed 2 1/2" barrelled gun.

The weak link - firing pins. They tend to break, but usually due to excessive dry firing. The springs can also weaken over time and use. But the firing pin is the same as the Cobra CA32 or CA380 and can still be purchased (as long as you don't say it's for a Raven!)

I don't carry one in the pipe, if I carry it at all. It's a cheap novelty and a fun plinker. As far as betting my life on one??? Let's just say they're fun if I didn't already...

Everything you wanted to know about Ravens but were afraid to ask.
http://www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarm...forum.php?f=19