The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2009, 12:49 PM   #1
colostomyclown

high visibility shell followers?

looking to add these to my guns. this is pretty much all i could find:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=218305

''m needing them for my 590's. Even if that does fit, is it meant to be cut/grinded to retain mag capacity? Does anyone else make hi-viz followers? just looking to upgrade from stock at the same time I put my new springs in.
Old February 28, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What is the need for a hi-viz follower? Safety? My black one has done me fine...
When clearing the weapon, even if I see 6 rounds all lined up pretty like, I put my finger in the loading port and feel the follower after looking right at it. follower=smooth shell=primer... then I open the action and visually inspect for an open chamber.
Just me though... YMMV
Brent
Old February 28, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
flippycat

Quote:
This follower is bright orange and allows you to quickly see if the shotgun is loaded.
WOW that sounds like an AD waiting to happen for sure lol.."well officer I saw the orange plug and assumed it was empty".

A waste of $4.89+ shipping considering you still need to check the chamber to be sure the firearm is REALLY unloaded. Use the money saved to buy another box of ammo
Old February 28, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
colostomyclown

its more a matter of just trying to upgrade the existing one. i dont buy into any of that safety stuff, thats a laugher. just a matter of being slightly easier to see and being of higher quality.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
ddeyo1

not worth it.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Creature

Useful no matter what has already been said.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:59 PM   #7
prc77

and lose 1 round capacity, Idea, paint the one you have day glow orange
Old February 28, 2009, 03:18 PM   #8
strat81

A Choate high-visibility follower was included with my magazine extension. It functions fine, doesn't reduce capacity, and is an additional way of ensuring the mag is empty.

Mine still had some flash on it from manufacturing. I chucked it in a drill and hit it with some 400grit sandpaper to remove it.
Old February 28, 2009, 04:43 PM   #9
colostomyclown

I want to make sure i can get it smoothe and glossy if i do paint it and that it won't wear off and get shavings all over the inside my tube. nothing i couldn't fix but i'd prefer it be a one time thing.
Old February 28, 2009, 06:50 PM   #10
MAX100

The 590 stock follower sucks and can give problems along with the spring. I would replace them both. The one Mossberg puts in their 930 shotguns is high quality. They should use the same one in their 590 & 500 shotguns.

Brownells brand metal followers and the Vang followers are very good. You can order a Wolff spring from Brownells at the same time.

GC
Old February 28, 2009, 07:29 PM   #11
colostomyclown

has anyone ordered through tacticalshotgunner.com before? good, bad?
Old March 2, 2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Chuckusaret

Quote:
A Choate high-visibility follower was included with my magazine extension. It functions fine, doesn't reduce capacity, and is an additional way of ensuring the mag is empty
I have Choate follower in my shotguns and they do what they were designed for---they show that there are no shotshells in the magazine.......... IMO it is an added safety item that helps make shooting a safer sport.

Quote:
has anyone ordered through tacticalshotgunner.com before? good, bad?
I bought a receiver shot saddle from them. It is well made and serves the purpose but was rather pricey. They also sell the magazine shot follower but at about three times the price of the Choate shot follower.

Last edited by Chuckusaret; March 2, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:28 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Chuck, While I respect your opinion, I do not agree... No device that takes a level of responsibility from a human is "safer"... a magazine tube does not a barrel make. 5 in the tube and 0 in the pipe is far safer than 0 in the tube and 1 in the pipe... A tilt of the gun while in use and a peek is sufficient to see black or gold... Black equals re-load while gold (silver on the cheap promo loads) says "keep going boy"... Only the barrel matters.
I am of the anti-establishment nanny state no law suits type. I can't stand warning labels either. The only gun that needs a safety device, IMHO, is a gun with a concealed hammer that may need holstered...
If you want the ultimate clarification is to paint your entire gun red so you know it is a gun and needs handled safely!
But I am not saying don't buy what ever you want for YOUR gun. Heck if you want to strap a gas grill to eat so you can cook yer kill as it hits the ground... go for it!
Brent