The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1
oneounceload

Guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy

But this "shotty" crap, IMO, is just juvenile. It is a SHOTGUN.....not a shotty....it's a MOSSBERG....not a mossy.....it's a REMINGTON.....not a remmy....

we do not call handguns "Smithy's"...."ruggies", etc......we don't call rifles "Remmys", Savies", etc......

why is it acceptable to bastardize shotgun names?

It's bad enough every other thread is yet another one about the same HD/SD 870/Mossberg comparison.....at least folks who find it easier to start another thread instead of using the "search" feature could use the proper terminology.......

OK....FLAME ON

Just had to get this off my chest
Old February 27, 2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Hawg

Quote:
why is it acceptable to bastardize shotgun names?
Just is.
Old February 27, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
oneounceload

only to some.........

I own Brownings....not brownies.......I own Remingtons...mot remmies, I own Savage, not "savies", or anything similar

I own handguns with many names...none of which are mentioned like that......sorry.....IMO, not acceptable
Old February 27, 2009, 10:54 PM   #4
.45 COLT

I said the same thing a few months ago - although not quite as detailed - didn't change a thing.

DC
Old February 27, 2009, 10:55 PM   #5
oneounceload

I understand .45.....

but damn, just gotta say SOMETHING.....lol
Old February 27, 2009, 10:59 PM   #6
dalecooper51

I agree.

Shotty reminds me of deagle. It is all reminiscent of video game culture.

Most of the time I just ignore it. There are more important issues out there as opposed to getting upset over slang verbage of youngsters.

The one that drives me batsh** crazy is libary.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:00 PM   #7
colostomyclown

Thread is backed. it's not a huge deal, but it definitely makes it look like you need to turn off the x-box and go shoot some 3 inch slugs already. at that point, users of the "shotty" term may or may not want to sell their tacticool 870 and purchase a walther g22 instead.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:00 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OOL, (notice i didn't type the whole thing?) it is a matter of convenience for me... Laziness if you must... But "mox nix" to me... If'n (bastardized) ya'll (bastardized) don't like it remember DILLIGAF (bastardized acronym)... Yes we have our share of 18 year olds and under as well as first time gun/shotgun owners... I am not them! I am 40 and have OWNED my own shot gun for 32 years! I have been shooting "big bore shotties" for 29 years. I have in excess of 20,000 small birds killed, most with pellet guns for farmers, and countless rabbits, doves, squirrel, and ring necks crossed our supper table at the impact of my "shotty" I did not know the word until well passed 30 but like it... easy to say easy to type and the little whipper snappers know what I mean. You dust sparrow shooters won't learn much from me as ya'll are far surpassed me but if one guy learns ONE THING from me... all this time has been well spent! I know the purists cringe to hear the bastardized terms but so sad too bad... I cringe to ride the mower and need to lay up in bed for 2 days after I mow in pain so bummer deal...
Hate to sound irate but short of a guy tied up in a hospital room I can't fathom getting bent out of shape at my choice of characters used to express my 1A rights... Miffed? Yes I guess I did get a bit miffed!
Brent
Old February 27, 2009, 11:05 PM   #9
oneounceload

hogdogs - you're entitled to your opinions....and I will never silence anyone.....this is just MY opinion and a personal bitching....so flame on if you must....I would prefer folks, especially the new folks, use the proper terms....guess I'm just old enough to appreciate the proper stuff

JMO, YMMV
Old February 27, 2009, 11:15 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Oh yes! Prefer in one hand and poop in the other right... I do try to use the proper term in a thread eventually. I hope they rub off... But I ain't gonna chap a guy's butt for saying .410 gauge either... just a pm. I think courteous leadership gets better results than ostracizing a person in public (a blanket party in boot camp may be the exception) Then again my civics 101 teacher foresaw me as a politician or at least a political diplomat as a profession... I have run with many groups with the exception of the urban gangsters...
Brent
Old February 28, 2009, 12:08 AM   #11
Scattergun Bob

oneounceload

Hopefully you do not take offense to my use of scattergun, it's kind of my trade mark.

I too don't like the use of shotty, it seems wimpy for a weapon that can remove pieces of flesh from our bodies.

There have been many "interesting" names for our beloved shotguns; Trench broom, street bitch, alley cleaner, The bitch, gauge and the list goes on, shotty just does not fit.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old February 28, 2009, 12:18 AM   #12
colostomyclown

scattergun very much acceptable!
Old February 28, 2009, 12:25 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I used to refer to them as "big dogs" they bark here but bite over there...
we also used to say that once cut to 12 inches (I know it is not so true with education) the payload leaves the muzzle, it looks both ways and goes where ever the heck it chooses... YES I WAS ONCE IN THE NO NEED TO AIM OR EVEN POINT WITH A SHOTGUN crowd...
Brent
Old February 28, 2009, 01:03 AM   #14
zippy13

I'm with oneounceloads on this one, these abbreviations come across as sophomoric and can become irksome. When I first saw the term shotty, I didn't have a clue. Was it a fresh term for a Rambo-wannabe gun, or a short barreled shotgun, or any shotgun? (Shotty is very commonly used term to describe a condition of lymph nodes.) I couldn't tell if the writer was trying to be cute, appeal to a clique, describe a type of shotgun I'd never heard of, or what. If a term isn't universally accepted and understood, then it's use may lead to confusion, misunderstanding and controversy. Isn't that the opposite of what we're trying to accomplish here?

I'm an old phart, for all I know a shotty is something you order in a gay bar.

Bob, not to worry, scattergun is a long accepted term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattergun Bob
I too don't like the use of shotty, it seems wimpy for a weapon that can remove pieces of flesh from our bodies.
+1
Exaxctly! Well said, my friend. This may be what really botheres oneounceload -- like you and me, he takes his shotguns very seriously.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Ruger4570

"shotty, something you order at a gay bar"....
Perfect. I loved it
I too don't know why folks cant type "shotgun" it is only 1 letter longer than "shotty" It must just be kids...
Old February 28, 2009, 01:33 AM   #16
flippycat

Sadly I think old fuddy-duddy hits the nail on the head. Rather then try to make people feel about this-> _ high about their generational terminology.

Post by example ...keeping them active in hopes they pick up what is consider socially respectable and acceptable here to hob knob and ask questions to the old school and senior members who use proper manufacturer names when posting.

It is not like we all do not know what is being spoken when reading a post regarding "shottys" and "remmys".

I think calling members out about it seems to be a tad on the snobbish side and possibly even sending new members who would other wise stick around and learn how to interact with knowledgeable firearm owners elsewhere.

And sending them elsewhere out of fear of ridicule may not let them get the proper firearm learning experience that can be learned here.

Last edited by flippycat; February 28, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:37 AM   #17
Creeper

Yesterday, I had a gentleman visiting my shop.
I had my Benelli out on the bench, tinkering with the trigger group when he walked in.

He walked up to the bench, looked at the shotgun and said, "Cool, an M2 nelly".

I said, "Nelly?" ... "Where in the hell did you get nelly?"

He said that he'd heard the word in use in a gun shop... one popular with vacuous, commando-esque types, and thought it was a cool word. I suggested that I might need to hit him forcefully in the "skully", should he ever feel the urge to use the term in my presence again.

Yes 'oneounceload', not only am I a fellow fuddy-duddy... but a board certified curmudgeon and fully bonded, old school gezzer as well.

C
Old February 28, 2009, 01:38 AM   #18
kmrcstintn

sorry to offend...

sometimes typing with sore fingers can lead a person to type shorthand...

as in shotty, remmy, mossy, snubby, wheelie, revo, semi, et al
Old February 28, 2009, 01:50 AM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Beinz-ta-how I am but a simple feller who most often types as I speak, I don't always save finger motion to type. It is for me to get the point across that I am a redneck. Funny thing huh?
Brent
Old February 28, 2009, 02:17 AM   #20
Bill DeShivs

I don't like it, either.
How about simply typing SG? It's a lot shorter than "shottie."
I think a Shottie is a cross between a ****zu and a rottweiler. Or, would that correctly be "****weiler?"
Old February 28, 2009, 02:25 AM   #21
flippycat

Well said Bill DeShivs ...I personally do not like the terms either ..I think it looks/sounds silly to read them or hear them referred to like that. After reading this post...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=341372

where the op here managed to stir the pot of ridicule stew, I think starting a whole new thread to further rip new members like that apart is less sophisticated then the use of the term shotty.

Last edited by flippycat; February 28, 2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:45 AM   #22
rantingredneck

Perhaps its shotgunners in general that tend toward traditionalism and curmudgeonliness (is that a word?).......

I am by no means old at 35, but I find myself rolling my eyes and shaking my head all the same when I see shotguns with PGO's and M4 buttstocks and the like.

Especially egregious are the ones that have been outfitted with the entire ATI catalogue and photographed endlessly while never shot.

Then when the offense against all things holy and practical is compounded by being referred too as a "bad ___ shottie/shotty"......it all becomes too much to take.

Yes, some of us (me included) tend to point out the flaws in reasoning that go into building such monstrosities. Sometimes harshly...(mea culpa)... But we've all also attempted to educate and seen some new posters actively resist such education. Some to the point where they claim loudly that their PGO "shottie" is just as capable as a properly equipped and fitted shotgun.

Until Dave McC reissues the challenge (which to date is unanswered).

Not all new posters react as such of course, but it happens..........

So in closing I'll offer to curtail my criticisms as long as the mallninjutsu stays at reasonable levels.......

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 28, 2009, 04:04 AM   #23
SCREAMIII2006

you think your a fuddy-duddy?.........

I had to google "deagle"
Old February 28, 2009, 05:35 AM   #24
Hawg

I'm 52 years old and I've been shooting for dang near all of them. I don't use the term shotty or some of the others but I have used the term Remmy's for my cap and ball revolvers many times. I'm sure back in the day when scattergun was first used some eyes were rolled then too. The terms are here to stay, for better or worse. It's a fact Jack, get used to it. Just like everybody(prolly even you)calls a .45 Colt a .45 Long Colt.
Old February 28, 2009, 07:52 AM   #25
.45 COLT

Quote:
Just like everybody(prolly even you)calls a .45 Colt a .45 Long Colt.
Everybody?

DC