The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2009, 05:24 PM   #1
j28s

H&K USP Combat Competition - Trigger Upgrade?

EDIT: Tried to make better since and more information...
I have a H&K USP 9mm Combat Competition and bought it because of good reviews from others, AND I thought it was going to be more of a match trigger (guess I was thinking of my 1911 model). So, after shooting it, I'm not impressed because of the heavy pull and the long travel, so I called H&K and after talking to one of the gunsmiths, I bought a USP MATCH TRIGGER PARTS KIT (Part # 216169R). Note: He said there were two different kits I could get, the MATCH TRIGGER kit (which is what I got) and a another kit which would decrease the trigger pull but would convert it to Double Action Only and there would be no safety.

Now, after talking to others and thinking more about it, I don't know now if what they sold me is either already on the gun or if the LEM coupled Match Trigger on the gun is better, or if the new kit is indeed better. So, I called H&K back today and spoke to a different gunsmith which said the LEM Hybrid Match Trigger was the best they had. So not sure if the first guy sold me something I didn't need because he didn't know, or if the second guy was incorrect.

So, I'm looking for some help with anyone that knows more about the USP Combat Competition 9mm and if there is a better trigger availabe. Note: this gun is only used for target/range/competition. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by j28s; February 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: easier to read
Old February 25, 2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Jason_G

From what I understand, H&K makes a match trigger kit that is for their LEM USPs, and another for their DA/SA USP models. Sounds like you might have inadvertently ordered a DA/SA match trigger.

Maybe someone else can add more info?

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old February 26, 2009, 10:38 AM   #3
j28s

EDIT: revised original post to make better sense and more information

Thanks Jason, I added a bit more information to make some better understanding to my original post.

Last edited by j28s; February 26, 2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: updated original thread.
Old February 26, 2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Hornett

You can't fix a USP trigger.
But, that's just my humble opinion.
I sold my compact because of the squishy, scratchy, heavy trigger.
Old February 26, 2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Jason_G

I wish I could help you more on the trigger confusion, but you might want to contact Bruce Gray in order to get the best possible trigger on that USP.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old February 27, 2009, 09:05 AM   #6
j28s

Thank you Jason. I'll give him a call today.
Old February 27, 2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Chui

There is a guy on hkpro.com that also upgrades triggers and all seem to be happy.
Old March 3, 2009, 02:55 PM   #8
j28s

thanks for the info. Shipped it to Scott at Gray Guns for some work. I'll let you know the outcome.
As an FYI - I wouldn't buy an H&K USP Combat Competition model if I had it to do over again.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:41 PM   #9
j28s

Jason - just wanted to say thanks for giving me GGI's info. Talked to Scott and sent him they gun. They were able to make the LEM system better. Get the gun back today, can't wait. Here's a video of Scott using it at a competition over the weekend...I was more than happy to let him shoot it for finding a way to make the trigger better...
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...EM_reduced.flv
Old March 11, 2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Jason_G

Quote:
Jason - just wanted to say thanks for giving me GGI's info. Talked to Scott and sent him they gun. They were able to make the LEM system better. Get the gun back today, can't wait. Here's a video of Scott using it at a competition over the weekend...I was more than happy to let him shoot it for finding a way to make the trigger better...
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...EM_reduced.flv
Cool. Keep us posted.

Jason
Old March 13, 2009, 05:43 PM   #11
ƒORTE

Quote:
There is a guy on hkpro.com that also upgrades triggers and all seem to be happy.
Bill Springfield
Old March 20, 2009, 11:29 AM   #12
j28s

Well, after getting the gun back from GrayGuns...to sum it up...fantastic job. Thanks Jason for the recommendation!

- DRY FIRING - When handling the gun I noticed a few different changes. While the overall travel in DA is still about the same length it is smoother and a constant movement…no tugs anywhere. The DA trigger weight feels a bit less (sorry didn’t get a trigger weight on it, guess I was so excited the SA was so good), and again still smoother and crisper than before and a more consistent feeling. The SA break point weight felt much less than before, but the the biggest different is with SA trigger length which IS much less…wicked short (from the time it breaks in SA to the trigger stop is less than 1/8”). Since I really like my 1911 trigger (Kimber Grand Raptor), I typically compare other guns with my Kimber and want them to operate the same (we can wish can’t we…). Well, in SA mode on the H&K, the trigger weight and length are a bit better than my Kimber). I even had to pick up both guns several times and compare to make sure I wasn’t jumping to any conclusions. I was shocked and still am…

- LIVE FIRING
After shooting 250 rounds - 7 targets all at either 10, 15 or 20 yards at the range, I will say that I am still a shocked in the changes to the gun. I can tell the trigger pull is much smoother with no gritty feeling or catches (as mentioned dry firing). The trigger is smooth and soft all the way to the point to fire the gun. At that point, the trigger pull weight is lighter as well as the trigger length to the trigger stop is reduced. The SA trigger is now a touch under 4.5 lbs whereas before it was just under 6.5 lbs (note: the digital read out would read 6.0, next time 6.6, then 6.3, then 6.4…so the average is somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 before the trigger work, today it was 4.4, 4.6, 4.3, 4.5). The SA trigger length before was around 3/8” (from the point there is tension to fire the gun to the trigger stop). Now it is maybe a touch under 1/8” (note: the gun has an adjustable trigger stop that I did adjust prior to me sending the gun, it looks like GGI may have made one complete revolution on the screw to make the trigger stop sooner…note - I tried this, but the trigger would not reset so I had to go back to where H&K put the trigger stop at). The trigger reset is MUCH improved as well. I would say the SA trigger reset is now about 1/8”, very short and very smooth. The light was low inside the shooting range and the light for my station was burnt out, so I couldn’t get a good measurement…but Matt (friend there) shot it and we were both in agreement.

I cleaned the gun (field strip) and noticed some of the cleaning up (fine sanding and polishing) that GGI did to the gun. You can tell they detail stripped the gun and made everything perfectly smooth. I believe this maybe one of the reasons why the DA and SA trigger weights feel less…everything is cleaned up. I also measured the trigger length in SA and it is a touch over 1/16" (actually 2mm)and 3mm to reset (resets then drops 1mm. Yes, crazy short and I love it. All in all, I would say GGI made a significant improvement to the gun which has also helped me shoot the gun (accuracy). The reason I say this is that before I would shoot 18 rounds in about 18’ish seconds at 20 yards and I may have a 4” group with 14 rounds and 4 rounds are at 8o’clock…yeah, I know me compensating. But with my other three guns I would have all 16 to 17 in the 4” group. Yet every time I shot the H&K I would have some either at 8o’clock or 9o’clock (about 2”
or 3” away). I would try sliding my finger across the trigger more, but no difference. NOW, all of the rounds are grouped together with no ‘wonderers’. Granted I’m sure it was the shooter (me), but now it shoots perfect for me and feels like a new gun. A few weeks ago I didn’t like the gun…now it’s my new favorite gun. Well worth the money to have the work by GGI and without a doubt, I would send it to them again. Great work!!!
Old March 21, 2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Jason_G

Quote:
Well, after getting the gun back from GrayGuns...to sum it up...fantastic job. Thanks Jason for the recommendation!
No problem. Glad to hear you are pleased with it. I've seen some of the work he's done on Sigs and H&Ks, and it is always nice and slick.

Jason