The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 22, 2009, 07:30 PM   #1
hjmick

S&W 32 CTG Questions

Okay, here goes... My first thread... And my first post...

I recently came into possesion of my grandfather's old S&W 32 CTG:

This is the first gun I ever fired, many many years ago and I have not fired it or seen it since that outing. As a result, I am at a loss as to how to open the little bastard in order to clean and load it.

As you can see by this picture, there is a screw/pivot point just in front of the trigger guard which tells me that this paritcular gun is a "top break" loader, but for the life of me, I cannot remeber how it's done:

Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

One last question...

I noticed a thread or two concerning serial numbers and manufacturing dates. Perhaps someone could help me date this thing? The first three numbers are 213xxx.
Old February 22, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
hjmick

Okay... Never mind about opening it, figured it out... Now, about that serial number...
Old February 22, 2009, 08:22 PM   #3
laytonj1

Quote:
The first three numbers are 213xxx.
.32 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model. SN's ran from 170000 in 1909 to 242981 in 1937.

Jim
Old February 22, 2009, 08:29 PM   #4
hjmick

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the info.
Old April 3, 2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Andyman

Ok, I have the same pistol, which I also inherited from my grandfather, and I do NOT know how to open it. Can someone tell me how?
Old April 3, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6
woad_yurt

Grab the two knurled nubs on top (slightly behind the cylinder) and pull straight up.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Andyman

God bless ya... I saw a fairly complicated set of instructions somewhere else, and in retrospect I actually think they were wrong. Thanks!
Old April 4, 2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Tom2

Ammo- You might look up Remington part R32SW or Winchester X32SWP at your gunshop or hardware store or sporting goods. Both LRN designs of 32 S&W, not .32 S&W longs. The box of Rems cost me 17.95 in a hardware store not known for cheap ammo a couple years ago. Nowadays, they might want 30$ for a box of them! These cases could easily be reloaded but I suspect your curiosity is just to experience shooting it, and not shooting it alot. Not powerful ammo, you might be getting 600 fps in these little bullets in some cases. Assuming the gun is tight enough to shoot safely.
Old April 5, 2009, 03:23 PM   #9
dogngun

FWIW, the Smith in your pics is in beautiful condition:

Please do not remove the grips! They are made of hard rubber and over time get very brittle, and easily broken when they are removed. The finish on this revlver is nickel plating - do not use Hoppe's # 9 solvent as it will tend to losen the plating and caust it to flake off.
I'd spray the upeoen gun with CLP BreakFree and let it soak for a while, then wipe it clean with an old Tee shirt or similar soft cloth. This will clean the old grease our of it and lubricate the entire revolver. Get a small bore brush/cleaning kit to clean the bore and chambers.

From your photo, the gun is really very nice - I have seen this model Smith in lesser condition sell for over $200 locally in the last few years and for much more online and at auctions.
Keep it nice.
enjoy it.

Mark
Old June 1, 2009, 03:14 PM   #10
captnphoto

.32 CTG Dating question

I hate to just tag on here but I too have a 32 CTG that I inherited. Serial number is 114206. It's not quite as nice as the photos posted by hjmick but overall, pretty nice. Rumor in my family is that my greatgrandfather kept it behind the counter at a hotel bar that he owned and ran in Pittsburg, PA. Any help dating the gun is appreciated.
Old June 1, 2009, 03:41 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
I hate to just tag on here but I too have a 32 CTG that I inherited. Serial number is 1142xx...
Does your grandfather's gun have a concealed hammer and grip safety like the one pictured? This identifies it as a Safety Hammerless aka New Departure aka "Lemon Squeezer". If so, it was probably made ca. 1901-1902.

OTOH if it has a spurred hammer and the same type of trigger, it's a .32 Double Action, and it's quite a bit older.

If it has a spur trigger and is single-action, it's a .32 Single Action aka New Model One-and-a-Half, but IIRC their serial numbers never made it up to the 114,000 range.
Old June 1, 2009, 04:22 PM   #12
captnphoto

it is identical to the one in the photo (hammerless (concealed hammer) and grip safety). The only difference I can see in the photos is that mine appears to have a small pin through the barrel (rib) holding in the front sight. Someone previously told me this indicated it was an earlier model.
Old June 1, 2009, 09:18 PM   #13
carguychris

The sight pin identifies it as a .32 Safety Hammerless 2nd Model rather than a 3rd Model.