The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2009, 11:43 PM   #1
TeamDub

Norinco SKS Front Sight Pin - GET OUT!

Okay, I'm about ready to rip my hair out... trying to install a muzzle brake that uses the front sight pin, but I cannot for the life of me get that damn pin out.

Is it a universal on Norincos that the goes 100% either left to right or right to left? Any clues as to which way the pin might move?

I'm getting seriously peeved at this thing, especially after Dremeling the front handguard, the new receiver cover, and a path for the receiver cover pin to travel.

Any help is appreciated.

TD
Old February 14, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Tom2

What are you talking about, the round base pin for the front sight post? Cause I have one of the sight drift tools, works for most, but I had one Norinco that I had to soak in Kroil for a long time, then have someone support it on a wood vise block while I really railed on it with a brass punch, to get it to finally shift some. Some of those Chinese are really put together tight, like they assembled them with steel still red hot or something! Everything was stiff on that gun.
Old February 16, 2009, 03:19 PM   #3
TeamDub

Hey Tom -

I'm talking about the pin located on the front sight under the barrel. The "compensator" I got for it uses that same hole to hold it in place, and I CANNOT get it to budge. The handguard pin was tough, but I managed to get it out AND reuse it, but this front sight pin is making me nutty.

I'll soak it and wail on it later this week, but I've been distracted by my new toy - a Hi-Point .40 Carbine in camo. Gawdawful ugly, but durable and fun to shoot.

Thanks for the reply -

TD
Old February 17, 2009, 07:39 PM   #4
RamSlammer

I must have bought the same muzzle brake. After much pounding, a bath in liquid wrench even, what did the trick was a night in the freezer for the barrel assembly. The cold contracts the metal.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:44 AM   #5
TeamDub

Good Idea

Thanks, RamSlammer - I'll give that a shot!

TD