The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 19, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
TonyAR308

Bushnell circle x reticle

Does anyone have experience with the circle x reticle? I am looking (because it is cost effective) at this scope for my omega ML. I checked one out at a local store a while back and tried to find the darkest item in the store. At approx. 35 yards I looked at some dark clothing and the x in the circle completely disappeared. The circle was visible but I have no idea the MOA of the circle (lthinking similar to a red dot which is usually 4-5 moa @ 100), must be waaay up there and at moderate yardage seems you could miss small car. Just as a bright store can give you a false sense about the light gathering ability of a scope I am trying to figure out if I just had bad light or something. I know the deer is brown and not black like the clothing but they wouldn't let me move the stuffed deer around the showroom floor, turn off some lights and such, so I got what I got. Just thinking about shooting from light into shadows.
Old February 19, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
fisherman66

I believe it's calibrated to represent an 8" circle at 50 yards. There's better glass out there, but the Banner is a solid value. I have the 1-4x32 (I think it's marketed as a shotgun scope.) I like it.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:14 AM   #3
rantingredneck

I have an older Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 shotgun scope with the circle x reticle. I had it mounted on my muzzleloader last season and shot a decent 6 pointer with it at dusk one evening. Worked well for my purposes.

I've now replaced it with a Nikon and bumped the Bushnell down to a 10/22, but If for some reason I had to put it back on the muzzleloader I wouldn't feel bashful about using it again.

As the previous poster said, better glass out there, but the Bushnell's are serviceable.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)