The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 18, 2009, 04:42 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Heating a shop

I have a shop. I do woodworking now but want to use it for more metal working(including gunsmithing), and a little reloading.

I bought a propane torpedo/salamander heater. It needs 100 pound tanks, which I basically have no way to transport in my Civic(I thought I could get by with 20 pounders).

Before I make another folly in purchasing, what does everyone else use for this type of heater? Propane, electric, kerosene, diesel? What brand/model? Problems you have had with it.
Old February 18, 2009, 05:37 PM   #2
chris in va

Whatever it is, you need to watch out for CO emissions. The propane ceramic heaters work fine indoors but they steal oxygen and can't be used in very confined areas without venting...which pretty much defeats the purpose.

I'd go electric, maybe an oil heater with a fan.
Old February 18, 2009, 06:47 PM   #3
kplender

I am using this in my 24 x 36 garage where I work. It can be run on either propane or natural gas (you order the unit for whichever way you are going to go). It must be ventilated, either up out the roof, or it can be side ventilated out a wall. See here:

http://www3.modine.com/v2portal/page...ontent_013.htm

Works great!!
Old February 18, 2009, 07:22 PM   #4
shortwave

House, domestic water and garage heated with an outside boiler made by Central Boiler purchased from your neighbor David Kruckeberg at Classic Comfort Heating Systems. He`s in Greenville, Oh. Would never go back to heating with anything else.
Old February 18, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I don't think I can redo the entire heating system for this.

The Modine heater is $600, could get what I have to work for 1/2 that.

Have some ventilation set up, not sure if it will be sufficient, but believe it will be.
Old February 18, 2009, 07:56 PM   #6
sophijo

Natural gas

Maybe you can convert your heater to natural gas.While your at it convert your generator too!
Old February 18, 2009, 08:04 PM   #7
RaisedByWolves

I use a kerosene bullet heater. The propane ones make too much moisture and will rust up your stuff.

Old February 18, 2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Casimer

How big is your shop?

I use Kerosene convection heaters - i.e. the cylindrical ones. But I also have enough space that I can keep these well away from my powder, primer, ammo and fuel storage areas.

If you're considering kerosene, be sure to look for sources in your area. Many fuel dealers only sell large quantities. Also pink (i.e. died) kerosene is a lot cheaper than white.

Also kerosene heating is probably more hands-on that some other options. If you let a kerosene heater burn dry, the wick will smoke and stink-up the place.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Buzzcook

I couple years ago I would have said kerosine, but the price went through the roof.
Electric is the least expensive for now.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:56 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Well I looked around at propane heaters online. Lowes had one 1/2 off tonight. They are clearing out their winter seasonal and the box was torn. Will see how it works tomorrow.
Old February 18, 2009, 09:00 PM   #11
HOGGHEAD

Propane Heater??

I like the wall hanging propane heaters.

Why are you hauling propane in a Civic?? Just have your local propane distributor drop you off a 100 gallon tank, and have him fill it up whenever he is in the neighborhood. Tom.
Old February 18, 2009, 09:00 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

local distributors all stopped refilling 100 #ers when gas went up. THey have not decided if they will restart yet.
Old February 18, 2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Wildalaska

Hi efficiency wood stove

WildcheapfuelinohioAlaska ™
Old February 18, 2009, 09:09 PM   #14
B. Lahey

Just do this every hour or so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD2hV8uCkQM

Old February 18, 2009, 09:14 PM   #15
2kflhr

Is the garage insulated?

I have an insulated 24' X 28' (672 sq. ft.) garage with 11' ceilings. When I built the garage 10 yrs. ago I bought 2 propane Comfort Glow Propane vent-free space heaters from Lowe's (end of season clearance as well). The box stated it is suitable for 750 sq. ft. and has two settings low 10k and high 20K BTU's. I originally intended to mount one on each side of the garage but quickly realized one is more than enough. I does so good that I've never taken the 2nd one out of the box. I only need to use the lower setting and couldn't be more pleased with the heat and comfort it provides. It's designed to be mounted on a wall or freestanding. I opted for the stand and placed against the back center wall of my garage during the winter. During summer I can stow it in the loft. I bought the heaters and stopped by the local propane place and bought a LP regulator, 20' of flexible hose and connections and connected it to a 30 lb. bottle so I could move it around if necessary but never have. I intend to bury a line and connect it to my 125 gal. underground propane tank some day but have never gotten around to it.

Last edited by 2kflhr; February 18, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old February 18, 2009, 09:18 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

concrete block absolutely no insulation
Insulating is not an option as I do not own the garage. approximately 40'X24. 3 car garage and a little deep for a garage and I do not know if I will be living at present location for one month or ten years.
Old February 18, 2009, 09:45 PM   #17
2kflhr

I would think a heater such as mine would work good. The problem with the jet blast heaters is they heat up so quick and then you have to cut them off and invite condensation. In my old house I had a 1700 sq. ft. basement with block walls and no insulation and used a kerosene heater and it did well.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Leedavisone

I have had a number of shops, heated just about every way, and have settled on a few opinions. If you can fit it in, and run a stovepipe out, a wood burning stove is hard to beat. It is the most comfortable heat. I even cook my breakfast on the stove in the mornings. Kerosene bullet heaters are next best, as long as you don't have one with a thermostatically controlled cutoff... they seem to give troubles early. Propane is fine, but would be my 3rd choice. I am a furniture maker by profession, but find myself in a new business that puts me in my new shop that does metalworking. Wood heat is the thing for me. Luckily, it is starting to warm up here in central NM.
Old February 18, 2009, 11:13 PM   #19
flippycat

lol even though I think this is stretching a gun related post ...why not just have the tanks delivered.

We used that propane/salamander setup all the time in new houses with no heat yet and were always able to have a company for about the same price as it would cost us to go pick it up and take back to refill to just drop them off on site and come bi-weekly to refill them. Thrifty, Suburban to name two.

Though..even though a tad cleaner burning the kero it is still noxious and leave your nose black as night after a few hours.

BTW if you plan on using those 100 pounders for long durations at a time..you may wind up having to tip them on their side when they get low as they tend to freeze up badly and lose tons of tank pressure.

You could easily go on craigslist and buy a used propane furnace dirt cheap out of a trailer to heat your shop and would take a half a day to install.

lol I know you had some firearms forsale at one point..hrmm maybe a trade for some hvac work ....oh NM just saw you do not own the place ...

Last edited by flippycat; February 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old February 18, 2009, 11:35 PM   #20
Voyageur

I use a 220V electric heater in the metal shop to keep the temp at 60 degrees for my equipment with backup heat in the form of 'Good Earth' stove.

In the wood shop I use an oil-filled electric heater at night (looks like a radiator) with the main heat source the woodstove I've used for 40+ years in my Lodge (tepee).

The metal shop is concrete block with insulated 10" rafters and the wood shop has 8" rafters (16" on center) with 3 1/2" insulation up in the rafter and that new R-14 insulation that reflects 90% of the radiation as well as insulating. Doesn't take much of a fire to keep the wood shop warm. If the sun is out... I don't even have to run the wood stove.
Old February 18, 2009, 11:58 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

3 or 4 of the oil-filled radiator heaters run 24/7 will keep the shop warm without any worry of fire or emissions.
Old February 19, 2009, 02:30 AM   #22
HOGGHEAD

Misread

I think you misread my post. I was suggesting you use the 100 gallon tank, not the 100# tank. I have a 300 gallon tank. Tom.
Old February 19, 2009, 11:32 AM   #23
Bud Helms
Staff

Quote:
I have a shop. I do woodworking now but want to use it for more metal working(including gunsmithing), and a little reloading.

I bought a propane torpedo/salamander heater. It needs 100 pound tanks, which I basically have no way to transport in my Civic(I thought I could get by with 20 pounders).

Before I make another folly in purchasing, what does everyone else use for this type of heater? Propane, electric, kerosene, diesel? What brand/model? Problems you have had with it.
A quote from the fora title page:

General Discussion Forum
A place for general discussion and Member hob-nobbing. Posts must be Firearms related.

CLOSED.