The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 19, 2009, 04:13 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Watch what Obama DOES not what he SAYS. That will tell all. He is the master of saying something then voting or signing the opposite into law.
I agree, e is a politician. Now that we have identified what job description he falls under we can progress forward
Old February 21, 2009, 08:03 AM   #27
Doggieman

Gun Control is about as important to this administration as saving the spotted owl.

Those were early 90s platforms. You guys are kinda living in the past. The Dems saw that gun control lost them congress for over a decade, and the era of school shootings is over -- that is, the intense media focus on them. I'm sure they still happen but they aren't as emotionally riveting these days.

'bama is the type of guy who wants to go down in history as turning the US around.. which currently involves the economy and foreign affairs. They don't give a rat's behind about guns right now. Maybe in 4 years they might.. but not right now.
Old February 21, 2009, 08:28 AM   #28
thallub

Quote:
Bingo. Last year, OSHA tried to pass the 1910.109 standard, which would reclassified ammunition under their rules for explosives. The effect would have been that you could not have ammunition in the same place that firearms are discharged.

My area of expertise is explosives. I know some of the folks involved in this issue. SAAMI and the Institute of Explosive Makers asked for that regulation. When the draft regulation came out their member companies had a total hissy fit.

I tried to tell the NRA-ILA that it was all one big red herring issue, to no avail.

BTW: Do some research on the guns in parks rule. Find out that the onerous rule was put in place by the Reagan administration.
Old February 21, 2009, 08:02 PM   #29
Doggieman

Though I must say I'm glad that people get up-in-arms when they get wind of this stuff.. I'd much rather people OVERreact to perceived 2nd Amendment threats than not react at all...

Though all this hoarding of ammo recently seems a bit strange.
Old February 21, 2009, 08:28 PM   #30
kayakersteve

Don't you see it....

He has discovered that gun owners/buyers are his new ace in the hole. We are the only ones stimulating the economy currently. We will make him pro-gun one way or another!

Last edited by kayakersteve; February 22, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:00 PM   #31
USAFNoDak

Obama Wants Two Terms.

Obama may very well have learned from Clinton what damage can be done by taking a stance on guns that is too far left. Obama, in addition to having more pressing issues on his plate, may want to wait until he wins a second term to go after gun rights. Of course, he may then sabotage the next democrat in line to run, but would he really care? He doesn't like Hillary all that well in the first place.

He had to soften his stance on guns compared to his previous record to placate the union members and rural democrats, as well as some moderate republicans. That was a politically calculated move on his part which certainly helped him in his campaign and to win the election. It's too early to toss those people under the bus.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:08 PM   #32
USAFNoDak

Fremmer Wrote:

In between all of his attempted gun-grabbing, Obama now wants to study the environmental impact of guns on national parks. Get ready for a major lead-kills-animals claim.

That's a humorous statement. We've been using lead (as in bullets) to kill animals for hundreds of years. As long as you limit and/or regulate hunting in National Parks there should be no issues with "lead-kills-animals". I know what you're trying to say. Lead can kill animals when injested by animals, which is why we went away from lead shot. But to think there will be widespread "lead exposure" for animals in parks because they allow carry of handguns with permits would look ludicrous on their part. Still, stranger things have happened in Washington.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.