The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1
cornerb21

Ruger P95 Safety Question

Hi. I just got my Ruger P95 for 399, which is a great price in the Bay Area. But I have a question that has been bothering me. With the safety engaged, no magazine in the gun, I can rack the slide and it will cock the hammer. It only happens if I do a deliberate pull of the slide, but nonetheless it still cocks the hammer. Is this suppose to happen? I would assume the safety blocks the hammer from cocking with or without a magazine.
It doesnt cock the hammer when there is a magazine in the gun and the safety is engaged.
So should the safety prevent the hammer from cocking or does it depend on how I rack the slide?
Thanks this is my first post, loved this site for research.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:25 PM   #2
tblt44

It will cock but will decock when the slide is realeased.This is a very safe gun.Ilove mine,no prblems in 1500 rounds.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Ben

I have the decock-only version. When you push the lever down, it automatically springs back up. Not sure why the hammer would cock when the safety is activated. Sounds odd.

Ben
Old February 9, 2009, 09:34 PM   #4
cornerb21

no it stays cocked when the slide is released. when the hammer is cocked and the safety is engaged, the barrel isnt aligned with the frame. if i disengage the safety, they align correctly.
so yeah it stays cocked when i release the slide, im not holding it back just racking it.
Old August 23, 2011, 02:02 AM   #5
Th3RedShinobi

I am experiencing the exact same problem, any fixes?
Old August 23, 2011, 08:40 AM   #6
GoBoilers!

Similar situation here too

I've got the P95 with decocker/safety. If I have the safety engaged, and I ride the slide forward as it is racked, the hammer stays back too. The thing I've noticed is that the slide does not go fully forward in this case. It stops or seems to hang up about an eighth of an inch short of forwad. If I push it that last bit then the hammer drops as if I'd just decocked it. If I let the slide go forward by itself (using slide lock/release, or slingshot method) then the hammer drops immediatley as I would expect.

My P95 is pretty new and I thought maybe it just hasn't been fully broke in or maybe it needs more lube on the rails?

Anyway, more comments / suggestions on this topic are welcome. Thanks!

---
GB!
Old August 23, 2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
With the safety engaged, no magazine in the gun, I can rack the slide and it will cock the hammer.
This sounds perfectly normal for any semi-auto pistol. If you draw the slide back, the hammer will cock, regardless of whether the safety is activated. Am I missing something? Is there something different about the Ruger P95?(Forgive me - I don't have much experience with the P-Series.)
Old August 23, 2011, 04:16 PM   #8
EddieDaGreat

Mine did the same before it was properly broken in to.. keeping it clean and lubed up is also a plus... The problem is the slide is not fully engaged in the forward position.. You can tap the slide to the forward position and the hammer should automatically go up.. once the gun loosens up a lil bit it becomes more smoother..
Old August 23, 2011, 05:57 PM   #9
vikingextreme93

doesnt sound like the slide is going fully forward. In playing with mine the slide seems to catch something internally that will drop the hammer when the safety is on. If I ease my slide forward the hammer will stay cocked for a second then the slightest of movement allows the slide to move completely to a rested position thus dropping the hammer. It appears to me this is normal operation of the pistol as it is not fully in battery while the hammer is up...I am not worried but mine is pretty new and only have maybe 300 rounds through it
Old August 23, 2011, 06:37 PM   #10
spacecoast

Mine has almost 2,000 rounds through it (1,997 to be exact) and the hammer still stays back when it is racked with the safety on until you move the slide all the way forward. It doesn't require much effort, but it's more than a touch. It is thoroughly cleaned and lubed after each range trip. Great gun BTW, paid less than $300 for it and it uses the same Fobus holster as my P345.

Note - when the safety is OFF, the slide should move smoothly all the way forward while the hammer stays back.

Last edited by spacecoast; August 23, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Seven High

If you are still unsure after reading the above posts, you can always call Ruger customer service.
Old August 23, 2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Coyote WT

The only time I've experienced anything close to this is if the slide is actually not all the way forward after I rack. If I rack and release, the slide will slam all the way forward (battery? not sure of the term) and the hammer will be in the full safe position. If, however, I rack and ease the slide forward, the slide doesn't fully seat. I have never been disappointed with mine and hope you can figure out what's going on before it gets frustrating.
Springfield XD .45
Old August 23, 2011, 09:12 PM   #13
Win73

I have a Ruger P89. If I rack the slide and let if forward slowly, sometimes the hammer will not drop with the safety on and the slide will not go fully into battery. The gun cannot fire in this position. With the safety on the hammer cannot hit the firing pin. This is why the gun does not fire when you drop the hammer with the safety. Also I believe (but am not totally sure about this model) that it has a two piece firing pin. Until the slide is fully in battery, the two halves don't line up and cannot transmit a hammer strike to the cartridge primer.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:51 PM   #14
guitaoist

Same "issue" with Ruger P-89

I was looking for this problem with a P-89 but apparently even the new models like your p-95 have this issue..

"With the safety engaged, no magazine in the gun, I can rack the slide and it will cock the hammer. It only happens if I do a deliberate pull of the slide"

i noticed this too and almost peed myself when it first happened because what if i had a round in the chamber and was released with i decocked it? luckily with the safety engaged the hammer WiLL NOT strike the firing pin, it's impossible due to the design which was improved from the earlier P-85 mark I's, they forced a free recall of all P-85's when one discharged when it dropped with the hammer cocked, no one was injured. so they fixed it and instead released the Mark II's afterwards which solved that problem.
but the problem with the slide is somewhat annoying to have, what i do to solve it is not rack the slide, just do the slide release with your right thumb alone which gives it enough umph to make up for that 1/4 cm difference in the slide. or just really rack the slide instead of gently.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:16 PM   #15
marv

My P95 is decock only which is the way I like it. I used to shoot it some in USPSA. When I racked the slide to load and make ready the hammer stayed cocked. I would then hit the decocker and drop the hammer on a loaded chamber. Range officers didn't much care for that but that's the way it was.
BTW, why are you racking the slide with the safety on? Is that safety not also a decocker?
Old June 19, 2013, 09:26 PM   #16
marv

My P95 is decock only which is the way I like it. I used to shoot it some in USPSA. When I racked the slide to load and make ready the hammer stayed cocked. I would then hit the decocker and drop the hammer on a loaded chamber. Range officers didn't much care for that but that's the way it was.
BTW, why are you racking the slide with the safety on? Is that safety not also a decocker?

Tags
ruger p95 , safety