The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
orincito

Reloaded .270 Bullets getting stuck in my gun?

My father in law gave me an RCBS progressive reloading press. My dad who owns a Dillon press helped me set the dies up the best we could from the instructions provided. I reloaded a few and tried to load them in in Remington .270 model 770 and the bullets wont fit. The bolt goes almost all the way in but i cant get it far enough in to lock it down. My dad has a Hornady reloading book which says the max case langth is 2.540 and the min is 2.530 and these bullets are all right around 5.350. Any ideas?
Old February 9, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Are these full length sized? If not were these fired in the same rifle? Did you try to chamber a case in your gun before adding powder and projectile?
Old February 9, 2009, 06:43 PM   #3
bhannah

Bullet depth

Sounds like you dont have the bullet seated deep enough.
the Over all length for a .270 whinchester is 3.340 what is the length of your loaded round?

If you are saying that your loaded round is indeed 5.350 please stop and get some help.
There are many good books out there.

Last edited by bhannah; February 9, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:47 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
these bullets are all right around 5.350.
??????????

Sounds like you need to Full length resize to reset case back to original specs (+1 Skulls). These cases were probably fired in another rifle and therefore fire formed to that chamber. Your chamber may be a little different, thus it does not fit.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 9, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
scsov509

Quote:
My dad has a Hornady reloading book which says the max case langth is 2.540 and the min is 2.530 and these bullets are all right around 5.350.
Ok, for starters you need to check those numbers again. I don't have a load manual in front of me at the moment, but I'm thinking that the 2.540 and 2.530 numbers are trim-to lengths for the actual case rather than Cartridge Overall Length. So start be double checking these numbers and making sure you know what they actually represent.

Secondly, I'm not certain at all what your 5.350 number represents. That can't be the actual length of the completed cartridge, since that is significantly longer than the 270 max cartridge overall length. My pet 130 grain 270 load is like 3.33" Case OAL, so that 5.350 has got to be a mistype on your part. Give us some more info such as the correct Case OAL and what weight/style of bullet you're using, and maybe we can help you sort this out a little further.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:53 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

FYI...

Just to try to help you get better answers from the other member here.

The "bullet" is just the projectile you put in the mouth of the "case" or "brass". A "round" is the final product. Not to be a smart*$$, just trying to help you get better answers. By the way, Welcome to TFL!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 9, 2009, 06:56 PM   #7
bhannah

Not to hijack but

Illinois Coyote hunter were you from I am in McHenry county looking for a place to shoot some yotes..
Old February 9, 2009, 07:02 PM   #8
10 Spot Terminator

Of note if you did full lenth resize and we are speculating that you may have neck sized the brass only , you may need to adjust the sizing die a tiny bit more as to bump the shoulder back enough so it will chamber . To chime right in with the others it may be you need to seat the bullets deeper as well, they may be set out too far and hitting the lands . Be sure as well to measure the length of one of the troubled cases as they may have stretched just enough when sizing as to be too long for your chamber and need to be trimmed . Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Tim R

Another problem could be too much crimp.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:13 PM   #10
hardhit

After you resized your case's did you try some of the them to see if they would chamber before reloading them
if not resize some case’s and chamber them see if you can close the bolt fully.
If you can not, follow the full length die set up procedure in you manual you may have a problem in your die set up, it may not be sizing the entire length of your case.

As mentioned earlier you may have your bullet’s seated out to far and they are fouling on the land’s making it almost imposable or hard to close the bolt on a loaded round.
Again follow the procedure in you manual for checking your rifle’s OAL and seat off the land’s.
a good indicator that your bullet’s are hitting the land’s is if the bolt wont close on a loaded round, extract that round and look for small marks on the bullet above the case mouth.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Shoney

orincito

Here are terms from the compendium of reloading terms. You should know them in order to communicate effectively.

Cartridge - Complete unit of ammunition, comprising cartridge case, bullet, powder and primer.
Case - Hollow brass container housing the propellant of a cartridge, the neck of which grips the bullet, and the head of which accepts the primer.
Case Trimming - Shortening cartridge cases to specified length after resizing/firing has stretched them. This is done to ensure uniform grip on the bullet, and thus better accuracy
Overall Length ( OAL or COL) - The total length of a cartridge, measured from bullet tip to base of case.
Trim-to Length (or minimum case length) - In handloading, the length a cartridge case should be trimmed back to after it has stretched past its "maximum case length".

Your bolt will not close on cases that are longer than maximum case length. Likewise if the cartridge length is too great, it will not chamber.

Other things to look at are the shoulder of the case. Often beginning reloaders will overcrimp and cause a slight bulge outward at the shoulder. Examine the case at the shoulder to make sure this is not the problem.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 9, 2009, 09:11 PM   #12
LHB1

If the reloaded rounds won't chamber, the problem is likely either:
1) you didn't full length size the cases far enough to set the shoulder back enough to let the cases chamber. Try feeding an empty, sized case and see if the bolt will close easily. If not, turn your SIZING die down another half rev, resize the case, and try again to chamber. Repeat if necessary BUT you DON'T want to overdo it. Setting the shoulder back too far will create excessive headspace. When the fully sized case will chamber easily, go to step 2.

2) If step 1 is OK and rounds still won't chamber easily, you are likely seating the bullet out too far and it is hitting the rifling. Try turning seating stem down on seater die another half rev, reseat bullet, and try again to chamber loaded round. Repeat if necessary but again you don't want to over do it. Seat bullet just deep enough to not be engraved by the lands/rifling.

Last edited by LHB1; February 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Typo Correction: SIZING die instead of seating die in (1)
Old February 9, 2009, 11:34 PM   #13
orincito

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for the reply's and for the advise. you guys ROCK!!!!
Old February 10, 2009, 02:23 AM   #14
Nnobby45

Lots of reloaders don't know that when you resize a rifle case, the case gets bigger before it gets smaller. That's why a case fired out of the same gun may not fit if you don't size enough to set the shoulder back.

Tags
reloading , rifles