The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 9, 2009, 03:58 PM   #1
AR15Lefty

Best Left handed AR15?

I am the proud owner of a Bushmaster AR15 and I love the rifle. But, I am left-handed and I'm tired of having shells ejected in my face. I've read a lot about the Stag Arms 1L and 2L, and I've seen mixed reviews on these. However, they seem to be the only left handed AR15s on the market... Help?
Old February 9, 2009, 04:37 PM   #2
rjrivero

I don't know of anyone else who makes a left handed AR. Couldn't you just use your Bushy Lower and get a Stag 1HL or 2HL upper for it?
Old February 9, 2009, 04:40 PM   #3
TheManHimself

CMT/Stag makes the only AR15 left-hand receiver/bolt groups I am aware of. Some of the high-end semi-custom manufacturers will build you a rifle on a CMT/Stag receiver.

You could also tune the rifle with your rifle's gas system to eject brass forward rather than to the side; that involves swapping buffers (carbine, H, H2, H3) and ejector springs (5 coil-black insert/4-coil blue insert/O-ring) until you find a configuration that ejects forward.

Just to check, your rifle does have the brass deflector hump on the right side of the upper behind the ejection port, right? The purpose of the hump is to prevent brass from hitting the shooter's face when firing left-handed; if your rifle lacks the deflector that's probably your problem right there.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:20 PM   #4
RockyMtnTactical

Stag makes an excellent rifle (better than Bushmaster IMO), I would go that route without hesitation.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
nbkky71

I've been shooting an AR15 competitively for a number of years now and have never once been hit in the face with ejected brass.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Zak77

I've been wanting to ask some questions about being a lefty and building an AR. Seems as though it's quite tough to get lefty parts.

Any other issues one should look out for when putting together a righty AR for a lefty?
Old February 9, 2009, 09:33 PM   #7
oldcspsarge

DPMS has made a left hand AR over the years But I would go with the Stag.

Choice #2 add an ambi safety and mag catch to a stock AR...doesnt solve the brass in the face problem .
Old February 9, 2009, 09:45 PM   #8
AR15Lefty

in regards to nbkky71's post, I didnt mean the brass is actually hitting me in the face, it is just bothersome to me that it crosses my body, I would just much rather have a rifle that ejects the opposite way. If I were to take my Bushmaster upper and replace it with a Stag Arms upper, would a gun dealer have that or would I have to order from Stag Arms? and if I did that, would I need an FFL, which I dont have...

Last edited by AR15Lefty; February 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:13 PM   #9
GLK

I have multiple Stag uppers three of which are L series. In addition to the obvious regular reasons of a left handed shooter wanting a left handed rifle there is the more important reason of safety. The further away from the ejection port/chamber my mug is the better. I would advise to buy the normal amount of extra parts, but I would do that whether left or righty. DPMS makes a left handed AR but my experience with them in the past turned me against their product. I have been nothing but satisfied with CMT/Stag
Old February 10, 2009, 02:40 AM   #10
Rifleman 173

Here's some left handed AR makers for you to consider:

http://www.lefthandrifles.com/ar/

http://www.proguns.com/dpmsarms-southpawpanther.asp

Good luck in your search.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Topthis

Lefty shooter here. I was looking at getting a Stag but went with a better Sabre Defence. I have never had an issue with the brass hitting me in the face at all...however, I do get a snoot full of the gas when the shell ejects. Minor inconvenience when I shoot indoors, when outside, I don't notice a thing.
Old February 10, 2009, 01:30 PM   #12
nbkky71

Understood AR15Lefty!

Regarding purchasing... there no need for an FFL if you're just ordering the upper. The lower receiver is the serialized part (aka = 'the gun') that requires the involvement of an FFL.

There may be a local dealer that has a lefty-upper, but you can order the upper from Stag and simply swap it out onto your BM lower receiver.

Another cheap alternative is the case deflector made by TC Accessories for $20. Brass still ejects to the right, but the deflector will plop all your brass right next to the ejection port and it comes nowhere near your body.

Last edited by nbkky71; February 11, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old February 14, 2009, 10:56 AM   #13
awpk03s

I have two Stags. One Stag 2HL upper on a RRA lower, and a Stag 6L rifle. Excellent, excellent weapons.
Old February 14, 2009, 02:04 PM   #14
Mike40-11

I have a Stag 4L and have been very happy with it. DPMS also makes leftys. I did quit a bit of looking when I bought the Stag a couple years ago and they were the only ones I found.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:53 PM   #15
mzimmers

The only two true left-handed uppers I know of come from Stag and Noveske. DPMS makes a left-ejecting upper, but no lefty forward assist (and I think something else is missing).

Stag Arms are made by Continental Machine and Tool and are of very good quality. They've added some nice options to their product line lately, too. I have two Stag uppers, and one lower, and have zero complaints about them. Very good customer service, too.

Noveske is a definite step up, but is 2-3X more expensive. If you want a true upper-class AR-15 (and can afford it), it's the only way to go.
Old August 6, 2010, 11:36 PM   #16
BIG P

Stag for me pretty nice rifle love mine
Old August 7, 2010, 12:16 AM   #17
5.56RifleGuy

I know its not exactly an AR, but the steyr aug and its clones I believe can be made to eject for a lefty. Same cartridge, but uglier gun I guess.
Old August 7, 2010, 04:27 AM   #18
jokester_143

I am a lefty. I only had the issue with brass coming back at me when I was in the Army qualifying with an older M16A2. They had a brass deflector you could put on the standard brass deflector to solve that issue. It is probably cheaper than getting a whole new upper...

Though it never was an issue with newer M16A2's and the M4's I carried for some reason. My S&W M&P 15 doesn't give me that problem.

The main downside to being a lefty and using an M16 type weapon is the mag release. I accidentally dropped my mag a couple of times while deployed.

DLiller

I think the Steyr AUG A3 variant isn't aesthetically displeasing.