Yes, For Novelty Purposes 2 1.35%
Yes, From Opportunity (Friend/Store sold them cheap, Given one) 4 2.70%
Yes, Other (please explain) 10 6.76%
No, I don't feel i'll ever need one 40 27.03%
No, Other (Please explain) 34 22.97%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 7, 2009, 10:06 PM   #26
P99AS9

Only when I go to public ranges. You never know what kind of idiots you can run into there.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:06 PM   #27
Wildalaska

Absent extraordinary circumstances, a civilian has no need for body armour and I look askance at folks who do

WildnoneedAlaska TM
Old February 7, 2009, 10:08 PM   #28
Socrates

I have one. Asked a friend for one, when it became real clear that a gangbanger had harassed a girl outside my classroom, and, I was involved. Never saw the guy again, but, I agree with Mas Ayoob, that if you know they are coming, taking COM, yours, off the table as a target is a huge advantage.

Also, it forces the bad guys to bring either heavy enough weapons, past .357 magnum, or be very good shots.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:17 PM   #29
noyes

Quote:
Only when I go to public ranges. You never know what kind of idiots you can run into there.
Good chosie . I have seen a few at the ranges. Most of them will tell you a story of the people whom have got shoot at different ranges. Some by rickashing bullets.
Old February 7, 2009, 11:19 PM   #30
G-man 26

Needed?

I voted yes, for work. I'm not LE or military, but used to do security and bounced a few bars in the rough parts of town.

I have a III-A. Wore it a few times, never needed it. I still have it, in the bed, flat under the mattress. I can't understand why civilians would want one, that said, I can't see why we should be barred from it. Like was said in Animal Farm, "all animals are equal, but some animals are MORE equal".

This mentality is why the gun laws are such, in California, and soon to be, for the rest of you. Civilians shouldn't have them because a couple of bad guys did bad stuff with it 15 years or so ago? I've heard this logic before(referring to guns), and shudder to see it here.
Old February 7, 2009, 11:26 PM   #31
Old Wanderer

I purchased a 2nd Chance Level II vest many years ago. Every once in a while I will feel the urge to wear it for some occasion or another.

Nice comfortable fitting T-shirt insert vest. Good insurance to have.
Old February 7, 2009, 11:31 PM   #32
FM12

I have several that belong to the State of Alabama, issued to me as state LEO. I also bought one of ebay that looks a little like a dress vest. Better than a t-shirt, dont you think?
Old February 8, 2009, 01:19 AM   #33
Csspecs

I've been looking to buy one, I get stuck going into rough areas every so often. Not like I plan to get shot.... But I also don't plan to have a flat tire :P
Old February 8, 2009, 12:39 PM   #34
bigghoss

armed guard
Old February 8, 2009, 01:07 PM   #35
mellow_c

I've got one for 3 of the above reasons....

1... For home Defense.

2... As a novelty item

3... I got a REALLY good deal on it from a friend. I could sell it for 3 time's what I paid for it.

Nothing wrong with civilians owning protection. People act like just because Civilians CAN own body armor, that they are automatically going to use it to go rob a bank. Do people assume that just because you own a car, you are going to use it as a getaway vehicle for robbing a bank?

My vest is pretty big and heavy, it's a level IIIA, and I Just ordered SAPI plates for it. it's awesome, but I was thinking about getting something a little more practical in addition to that vest. Something I can grab and put on much quicker in a home defense situation. And I'll keep my more protective vest aside for your classic disaster scenario. Like Katrina.

You can get pretty good protection for around $300-400. Instead of buying your "next gun" get a vest.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:30 PM   #36
EricReynolds

I have 2 for work. 1 contoured and 1 extended plus a trauma plate. I'd like to get a Dragon Skin but have no idea where to get it from.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:44 PM   #37
1trp45

Body Armor

I am issued one for work, and I personally purchased two for work when the issued body armor did not fit well as a concealment model, and then when my issued armor expired my agency (federal) did not have the funds to replace it I personally replaced it. Purchased both from a company called PT armor in Northern Virginia, the original one, not the new company. Both were made of Spectra Shield, one level IIPlus and the second level IIIA. Prior to 9/11 and the Hollywood CA shoot out it was not that uncommon for civilians to be able to purchase them. Usually they were available at gunshows from some unknown manufacturer. Currently some are still available on Ebay and other places. Big investment for a civilian if you really don't have a need or threat on your life.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:24 PM   #38
TxShooter474

I have several, one for uniformed duty, one for tactical applications and a couple old outdated ones in different parts of the house.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:29 PM   #39
mordis

Im currently considering one just for home defense. I wanna get something that i can put on quickly and have JIC. Id much rather have one and not need it and need one and not have it. I can understand why alot of people dont have them, but why look down on a civilian for owning and using one.

We all talk and train to protect ourselvs with a weapon, or what ever it is, but why then do we ignore armor and look down on those who arnt in LE or military who own them.
Old February 8, 2009, 06:51 PM   #40
troy_mclure

ive got a frag vest, and a point blank vest.
the frag vest i got years ago when my unit switched to point blank.
the point blank(current GI issue) was in a duffel bag in a conex that was MIA for over a year.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 8, 2009, 07:07 PM   #41
WC145

Quote:
I own several for various members of the family. My reasons are my own and I am not a fear-mongerer. Lets be plain, you buy life insurance, wear seatbelts and put bike helmets on your kids right.... why is this any different. As to the comfort issue.... if you dont know how to make one comfortable you havent worn one enough. If you are uncomfortable think about what hurts worse; a bullet or sweat? If you dont have the stones to deal with some sweat; what does that say about your mindset. I have worn all kinds of different BA from PASGT to lo-pro police style and full spectrum with full rifle plates and K-pot in temps from 90 to 110 F all day. drink water, wear cotton or mesh and suck it up. I trained to shoot with it on and still compete that way regardless of the weather. Even on the range how many knuckleheads have ever "swept" you with the muzzle on a condition one weapon? It only takes one bullet. Kevlar is our friend
What on earth are you talking about? The "stones" to deal with some sweat? Suck it up? Vests are just plain uncomfortable and it's got nothing to do with having the "stones" to deal with anything. Like I said, wearing them is a pain. I wear one on duty but if I wasn't an LEO I wouldn't own one, I just don't see the need if I'm not on the job. And, IMO, equating vests with seat belts, bike helmets, and life insurance is a bit of a stretch but to each his own.
Old February 9, 2009, 02:14 AM   #42
mellow_c

Im currently considering one just for home defense. I wanna get something that i can put on quickly and have JIC. Id much rather have one and not need it and need one and not have it. I can understand why alot of people dont have them, but why look down on a civilian for owning and using one.

We all talk and train to protect ourselvs with a weapon, or what ever it is, but why then do we ignore armor and look down on those who arnt in LE or military who own them.
mordis is offline Report Post

Thats a great point!
Old February 9, 2009, 02:16 AM   #43
Smallgame2100

I voted "no, other" because I dont feel like I need to wear one, just to walk around campus or in my home. I'm sure I'll eventually wear one due to working my way to become a correctionals officer. But, never really thought about getting one to be honest. I felt like my shotgun was enough protection.
Old February 9, 2009, 02:19 AM   #44
exprt9

I currently have one from the military and use it now for HD and SHTF situations.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:45 AM   #45
Don P

For work and now no longer working at that job so it hangs in the closet. Not to be picky, it is bullet resistant not bullet proof. Mine is a fit to order so selling would be hard to do. It is rated to stop a 357mag. Just real glad I never had to see if it would stop a 357mag.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:48 AM   #46
The Great Mahoo

I've never owned one and never plan on it. I don't work in a dangerous job, and don't really plan on doing it anytime soon. If something in the future changes, maybe, but I don't count on it.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:51 AM   #47
JollyRoger

I have had several for work (LE) - they change them out every 5 years or so, as the manufacturers will warrant them only so long. That's a consideration for anyone buying a second-hand vest: they deteriorate over time from heat, sunlight, sweat and body oils, etc.

I have had mostly level III or IIIA(Spectra) vests, although I had a secondary "surveillance" vest that was a IIA. I can't imagine wearing one of these things on an off-duty basis. Some are "more comfortable" but all are uncomfortable. All mine have been full coverage vests, however. Maybe the contour vests or the t-shirt with inserts is more comfortable. You give up a lot of protection, however.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:14 AM   #48
Corpsman

I had one given to me by a friend who works for the police department. It just sits in a closet though. Do the vests ever go out of date? I had a friend tell me that they "expired" somehow
Old February 9, 2009, 10:21 AM   #49
Dustin0

I have an older one somewhere found it cleaning out a family members basement, now its in mine somewhere.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:48 AM   #50
anythingshiny

a few years back, i took a series of pistol classes that progressed from how to draw...all the way up to a 'basic how to clear a room'.

for the 5th and 6th weekends the instructor recommended that if you had armor to wear it as there would be shooters behind and we would be moving and shooting dynamically. we ran thru many many times without weapons...many many times cold..and then finally hot.

I picked up a state patrol trade in IIa in an older carrier. Used it for class and put it under the bed for bumps in the night. Picked up a second one and keep one under the wifes side too...

As far as the folks who feel i should not be allowed to own it, i ask where you stand on gun control and why you post on this board? The EXACT same arguement can be applied to any weapon...YOU dont NEED one of those and WHY do you have a gun?? Only cops and soldiers need them right? the bad guys follow the rules right?...they wont come in my house and take my stuff...cuz thats against the law right?

i am far from the tin beanie wearing crew...but dont see an issue with armor under my bed for bumps in the night. do i advocate daily wear? naw...not for me...cops, security and so forth? absolutely if that were my job..id wear it.