The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1
TonyAR308

Brass cleaning solution

Saw some brass cleaner at Gander Mountain. I can't remember the name of it but all you had to do was soak the brass in it for several minutes, give or take, rinse and dry. It claimed the brass would come out clean and shiny inside and out. Anyone tried cleaner like this?
Old February 6, 2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Iosso brass cleaner probably. It does clean them up, but they tarnish some after drying. You can see the carbonates in the primer residue fizz out in the acid. Carbon deposits are not cleaned out.

I think that solution is good for removing heavy tarnish so you can inspect the brass underneath for flaws. Frankly, I expect a tumbler actually does better at grit removal because of its mechanical action.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old February 6, 2009, 10:38 PM   #3
TonyAR308

Wow UncleNick you get around this forum. You're right about the manuf. thanks for the info, again.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:55 AM   #4
bluetopper

If there was a readily acquired solution to clean brass well it would be quite a time saver for me and lots of others. Tumbling to me is a pain and takes a LOT of time if you have to do large quantities of brass.

I'm sure there is some sort of acid that would do the job quite well but being available to the public is another matter.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:14 PM   #5
45Marlin carbine

vinegar is mildy acidic and will remove tarnishing from brass. may have to soak awile for darkly tarnished.
Old February 7, 2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

But vinegar also activates the surface so they tarnish again on drying. The old NRA formula uses it. The big nuisance with the liquid cleaners is getting the cases dry. Primer pockets and flashholes often stay damp. You have to shake them out individually, then let them sit out a couple of days to be sure they've dried out completely. If they are sitting mouth-up while drying, at some point you have to knock them on their side to be sure water hasn't migrated down to the casehead. I'm not convinced it takes less time or effort than tending a tumbler.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old February 7, 2009, 06:50 PM   #7
TEDDY

cleaning

oh well here I go again mouthing off.get some of the mailorder cat.
midsouthshooters-grafs- midway-natchez and loading tool cat.redding-RCBS-hornady-lyman.90% of your questions can be answered by reading.
theres about 4 different cleaning agents Isso is a good one and dillon has one lyman also.
I put my cases out in the sun to dry.here they cook.and I also use the tumbler with walnut.you can also after shake in bagge with case lube spray.for storage.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:48 PM   #8
hivel37

Best way to dry cases after using a liquid cleaner is to rinse them good then spread them on a cookie sheet then put them in the oven on lowest setting for 20 minutes or so.

Be sure to follow directions when using this stuff.

Think I learned this here on TFL.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:03 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Try using about 1/2 to 3/4 gal washer fluid(blue water) and about a table spoon of navel jelly. The washer solvent will clean the brass and the acid in the navel jelly takes off the tarnish. Not much is needed, and the soak time is about 5 min. After the cleaning I'll rinse about 2-3 times with hot water, spread on an old fluffy towel to dry. The towel will wick away most of the water and just the inside has to dry over night.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:23 AM   #10
hyrczyk

I got a dip like that from a buddy of mine and it cleaned the brass up nice but after dried it looked very tarnished with a film like coating-kinda bluish. Even after dring with a towel. Didn't affect how it shot but I tossed the cleaner out as to it was to much work to get the brass clean after using it. Bought one of the tumbler kits from grafs for under 100 and only use that now and wouldn't consider any thing else.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:17 PM   #11
bluetopper

That navel jelly has my curiosity up............I'll have to try that.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:04 PM   #12
jaguarxk120

Yeh I just slosh the whole batch around till they look like new, then strain the solution into a gallon jug. If your worried about the acid residue just add a bit of soda to the rinse water.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; February 8, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Naval Jelly has had a couple of formulations over the years involving hydrochloric and phosphoric acids. I would be wary of this with brass as these strong acids and can eat the zinc out of the brass and weaken it if you aren't careful. If it starts to look copper-colored, you've overdone it, for sure. Vinegar is a buffer and with its self-limiting strength isn't inclined to do that.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old February 9, 2009, 10:17 AM   #14
SCOTTYDOG

Unclenick, you are a wealth of good information. Thanks for your input.
I have a lot of tarnished and dirty bras that I've been experimenting with trying to find a better way of getting it to the tumbling stage.
Tried a salt and lemon juice trick I heard of somewhere. Cases came out PINK! No amount of tumbling will get the pink hue out of them. If you see a pink round at the range, it's mine.
Next I tried just plain lemon juice concentrate. Cleaned them up nicely,but still left a few stains on them.
Tumbled in fine plain walnut shell and they came out, for the most part, clean and shiny.
Would like to hear more tips and tricks. Keep them coming.
Old August 29, 2009, 11:39 AM   #15
trixie2007

brass tarnish remover

has anyone found Duro Copper 'N Brass Jelly? Its made by the same company that makes Naval Jelly part of Loctite and they're part of Henkel.
Old August 29, 2009, 11:49 AM   #16
mrbraff

SIMPLE GREEN - period
Old August 29, 2009, 11:53 AM   #17
wpsdlrg

Lemon juice and a little detergent. Works very well - and it's cheap and non-toxic. If so desired, add a little white vinegar to the mix. No need for any expensive, "fancy" chemical cleaners..... it is almost always possible to find a simpler way to do it.

Same reason I stopped buying commercial bore cleaners. Turpentine will do exactly the same thing as Hoppe's #9 - except that it won't remove copper fouling (to my knowledge). No matter to me, because I only shoot cast, paper-patched bullets now.
Old August 29, 2009, 02:49 PM   #18
D. Manley

I can't take credit for this, snagged it from a thread on the BENOS Forum but sadly, the images in the thread are no longer there. I didn't bother with the "before" pictures but they were essentially, just black from years out in the dirt and weather. The image is after cleaning as per the instructions but before tumbling. I have'nt had occasion to use it but I have to say, seeing the transformation was impressive. I snagged a bottle of Lemi-Shine just to have on hand...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CLEANING BADLY TARNISHED BRASS.pdf (96.0 KB, 308 views)
Old August 29, 2009, 03:20 PM   #19
margiesex

Maybe, when I run out...

I have some Isso stuff here. Used it once. Still have it. Will I use it again? Well, let's say I keep it in case I run out of Cabela's case cleaner (what a neat aroma, too) and media.

I was not impressed with the shine, and if you add the drying issue, well, when I'm in Walmart next time, I'm picking up a bottle of Nu-Finish (I found this out here, too) for my media - again, when my Cabela's runs out. (did I mention the neat aroma of Cabela's?) Used Lyman once, too - repeat once - and threw that stuff out.

Oh, and did I mention the neat aroma of the Cabela's stuff?

Guess you can tell my preference....

God bless and good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old August 29, 2009, 03:37 PM   #20
putteral

1 Pint of Water
1 Cup of white vinegar
1 TBL of Sea Salt
1 Tsp of laundry detergent.
Soak about 1 minute or so. I gently aggitate them in a strainer, rinse in water then dry I dry them in a cloth with a little cleaner wax or nu finish on it. They come out sparkling. Let them dry overnight and you are good to go.
Old August 29, 2009, 05:33 PM   #21
happy1

After I get through resizing I use full strength apple cider vinegar let the brass soak 20-25 minutes drain then wash in hot soapy water rinse in hot water spread in a cardboard box let sit in the Arizona sun to bake for 2-3 hours dries'em out real quick, The cider vinegar turns the carbon in the primer pocks gray and is real easy to remove.
Old August 29, 2009, 08:36 PM   #22
Sport45

Here's a link to some cleaning solution recipes. I haven't tried any of them to report effectiveness. The page has many other homemade firearms products...

Chemical Case Cleaners
Old August 30, 2009, 07:43 AM   #23
rogn

I assume you deprime first. The old blue jean legs make good tough bags to dry brass in. Sew the cut end shut, place a loose bunch of brass in(loose enough to tumble in the bag) and toss into the clothes dryer with a load of clothes- you may have to do this with your own clothes to convince Mom that its safe. but itll dry 200 556 runds in 15-20 min inside and out. Rain or shine. The zeal with which De LEO(local) leads one to beleive they work on a commision basis???????? Stay under the limits and youre OK, but be real careful about detecting change in speed signs, and getting your speed in line. $80 must have been a 0.5 mph infraction. You were lucky.

Last edited by rogn; August 30, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old August 30, 2009, 08:29 AM   #24
flashhole

Birchwood Casey has a product on the market too. I tried it. Do yourself a favor and learn from my disappointment. Don't buy the BC product unless of course you are the type of person who needs to pee on the electric fence for himself.
Old August 30, 2009, 11:28 AM   #25
F. Guffey

A very boring conversation starts with "I rescued this ole ???? that was stored in a barn for 80 years" The conversation never starts with "Thanks to Les Myers, someone that never threw anything away, etc"., Or "Thanks to the old farmer that stored this in a barn etc.," In the old days the amount of acid, temperature and time were factors in cleaning cases along with 'step sequence.

Because of condition, I have purchased as many as 1,400 30/06 cases for .01 cent each, tumbling the cases clean would have required 4 plus days at 100 cases at a time. At that rate tumbling 1,400 cases would could require 56 days. Instead of tumbling I cleaned the cases in a 3 gallon jar of 4% vinegar in one day. I submurged the case in the vinegar for a maximum of 15 minutes then washed then rinsed in hot water. After rinsing I tumbled the cases for 1 hour. I have used the cases to form cases from 35 Whelen down to 257 Roberts, for .01 cent each plus time I got my money back many times, I have cases from that batch that I sorted and stored, the cases have a dull (non glair finish) but do not have a progessive stage of deteriation after 10 years.

Somethig is lost between the 50s and today, the amount of time, tempreture and acid content.

I use vinegar, before using it as a cleaner it can be used on a salad, I have left a few cases in vinegar for 12, 24 and 48 hours and found there is nothing to gain by leaving the cases in vinegar for more than 15 minutes, once for the life of the case and in the old days I used a good oil, if I considered an additive I wold use Reslone, their promis, if this stuff does not help clean your engine we promios it will not hurt your engine.

F. Guffey