The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: how do you carry? and why?
Condition 1 Cocked and Locked 61 67.03%
Condition 2 Chambered Hammer down 31 34.07%
Condition 3 full Mag None it the pipe 5 5.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11, 2009, 01:06 PM   #26
Recon7

I carry one in the tube, the "hammer" partially tensioned and all 3 safeties on
Old February 11, 2009, 01:08 PM   #27
David Armstrong

Didn't vote because it depends on so many different factors. Depending on the gun and the situation, I might carry Condition 1, 2, or 3, whichever I feel is appropriate at that time.
Old February 11, 2009, 11:29 PM   #28
Wagonman

I hope your muscle memory remembers what situation you are in.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:47 AM   #29
David Armstrong

I've never found the muscle memory concept to conflict with any style or technique of presentation. One's presentation should not be based on muscle memory, it should be a reasoned response to a threat. My $.02.
Old February 12, 2009, 05:45 PM   #30
Zulu343

I'm new to this decision.
I have a S&W 908 that i carry chambered, saftey on. Engaging the saftety decocks if it is cocked. Can not be carried cocked and locked. I'm comfortable with that, since 2 things have to happen - 1) long trigger pull 2) saftey released

Here's my dillema: i just got a cz82 (yesterday) which can not be hammer down and saftey on. The saftey (apparently) only works in the "cocked and locked" position. I'm not yet comfortable with that. I'm trying to figure out how to carry it, as "uncocked and locked" is not an option.
Any thoughts?
Old February 12, 2009, 07:41 PM   #31
NavyLT

Here is from another blog regarding CZ82:
Not so hard to let the hammer down if you remember to release the trigger in the middle of the process...that puts the hammer stop into play...

So, grip the hammer tightly, squeeze the trigger, let the hammer come partly forward to where half-cock would be if it had one, release the trigger, then release the hammer and the mechanism prevents the hammer from getting within an eighth of the firing pin.

...practice with it empty of course

I would not hesitate at all to carry the CZ82 chamber loaded with the hammer down, safety off, ready for a DA pull of the trigger. It's the same way I carry a Taurus PT92 or Beretta 92FS or Ruger P345.
Old February 13, 2009, 03:53 PM   #32
oldkim

Carry the way you are comfortable

Even for 1911 carriers it's somewhat tough to start off carrying cocked and locked, even though, the gun is designed to be carried this way.

When you first start off concealed carrying you have to be comfortable with the condition of your carry gun. So, like some have stated be it condition 1, 2, or 3

Practice how you carry and how to react to make your gun ready. So, if you have a loaded magazine but none in the chamber. You know when you draw you'll have to rack the slide to load a round in the chamber. Practice that way.

We all develop in stages. Some are comfortable starting off in condition one. Some are not. Where ever you are - be comfortable and train that way. You may find yourself later scaling up... that's good. But, if it's more comfortable for your state of mind to carry in condition 2 or 3 or whatever do so. Just be aware of the downside but if you train you can develop some fast deployment tactics.

One guy showed me an Israeli tactic to rack the slide upon engaging. He drew from concealed and as the gun was about belly button height he would grasp the slide and before it reached his chest the gun was racked and he was shooting. He did this very fast - faster than I could of just drawing my gun.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old February 13, 2009, 06:31 PM   #33
David Armstrong

Quote:
One guy showed me an Israeli tactic to rack the slide upon engaging. He drew from concealed and as the gun was about belly button height he would grasp the slide and before it reached his chest the gun was racked and he was shooting. He did this very fast - faster than I could of just drawing my gun.
Most folks don't realize how little time, if any, is added to the presentation by racking the slide, especially if the shooter knows what he is doing.