The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 7, 2009, 07:30 PM   #51
GlockGuy1970

I don't know how you guys Quote people yet but I have to put up the flag on everything "freedom475' has to say about 9mm ammo.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:39 PM   #52
Webleymkv

Quote:
I've always wondered why flat point ammo in service calibers isn't more popular? Sort of a Keith style bullet, adapted for automatics...
My guess is that in older calibers like 9mm and .45 ACP, FMJ is still round-nosed out of deference to older guns like WWI and WWII 1911's, P08 Lugers, etc. that might have trouble feeding flat nosed ammo. Since you're in the minority in considering FMJ for defensive use in a modern gun, the ammo companies haven't seen much reason to make flat nosed FMJ's in the calibers being discussed. Many newer calibers like .40 S&W and 10mm Auto are common with flat nosed FMJ.