The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 25, 2009, 09:26 PM   #1
aerod1

J.C. Higgins 22 rifle

I just acquired an old J.C. Higgins semi auto 22 lr model 36. It has a tubular magazine. It shoots very well.
Does anyone know who manufactured this rifle?

Thanks.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old January 25, 2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Scorch

It is a Marlin Model 80.
Taylor Machine
Old January 26, 2009, 04:46 PM   #3
candr44

It was made by High Standard. It is an updated version of my model 30. Sears payed High Standard to design and build this rifle and the design was owned by Sears. These are great shooting rifles and seem to be in demand.

Numrich Gun Parts cross reference lists this rifle as a Marlin 80 but I have seen others list it as a High Standard. If you go to Gunbroker.com and do a search for a model 36, 30, 31 or 34 you will see that they are all the same design. Also do a search for Marlin 80 and you get a very different rifle.

Rimfirecentral.com will also have more information on them and there is a member there who has a web site with the original manuals. If I remember right his name is SGVictor. Numrich has some parts for these rifles but I would cross reference the parts in the owners manuals on SGVictors site first as design changes were made on each model that carried over to the next improved model. As an example, Numrich lists a firing pin for my model 30 that is different than what I have. According to the owners manuals they changed the firing pin on the last version of the model 30 and it is the same as the model 31.

Last edited by candr44; January 26, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old January 26, 2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Hawg

My Numrich list has two J.C. Higgins model 36. A bolt action which crosses to a Marlin model 80 and a semi auto which crosses to a High Standard model 34.