The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 25, 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
mellow_c

Vest and Plate Threat levels

I recently bought a Modular Tactical Vest (MTV) From a friend for only $200! It's basically brand new with all the Kevlar and components included.

I'd like to get a front and back plate for it. I'm trying to learn about Threat levels for the plates and vests, but I cant figure out how they combine their protection, and how they measure up when put together. Here are some links.

This is the MTV vest I own...
http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.asp...ucts-_-SF-_-V1
It is listed as a Level IIIA vest.

These are the plates I was looking at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Ceramic-Body-A...3%3A1|294%3A50
They are listed as Level III in Conjunction with Level IIIA vest. However at the top of the description, they say that they are level III plates as "stand alone" protection.

I'm just trying to figure it all out, I'd love to find some sort of Chart that explains it all.

I'm also looking at these plates
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bullet-Proof-Fam...3%3A1|294%3A50
They are much lighter and claim the same protection.

Hope someone can help me Thanx!
Old January 25, 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
2amencw

plates

go to bulletproofme.com they have a section that should explain what combinations will protect against. Good Luck CW
Old January 25, 2009, 05:15 PM   #3
mellow_c

Awesome! Thanx... I'll have to spend some time on that site
Old January 25, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
2amencw

plates

I am not asking what your purpose for armor is, I have my own.... just want to pass along some good info. always be aware of what and who you buy from. Stick to the reputable dealers, BPM is one, EBAY is iffy. I bought a really nice vest and when I got it all of the tags had been cut out except for one. By double checking that tag with the manuf. it turned out that the vest had been stolen from Uncle Sam. I notified the Inspector Gen /CID on the reccomendation of the Manuf. Two days later a Nice Federal agent showed up at took custody of the vest. I am out $370.00 but the satisfaction of doing the right thing makes it easier. Plus I dont have to worry about being somebody's "punk". Be careful and armor-up!
Old January 26, 2009, 01:02 AM   #5
2amencw

more

This may seem a little goofy but I routinely wear a vest at ranges. We have all seen the knucklehead that show up next to us. In my ccw class I armored up and the instructor walked up , gave me a once over, tap the trauma plate and said,"you don't trust anybody ,do you?" I replied nope.I have personally seen and been hit by at least three bounces from adjoining ranges or backsplashes. Some came back up range almost 100yds. A good friend of mine was hit in the jugular by a steel penetrator core out of a ss109/m855 round that hit a knockdowntarget.Luckily no serious injury. But believe me it is very unsettling to hear something whizz by and then your friend grabs his neck! I shoot safe on approved ranges but things can happen. Now this will really sound out there but when the boys go to watch a tactical match with me they wear avest and K-pot. Why you ask? I learned about a young boy Named Tr__ C----y. He was struck in the head and killed by a stray 45 bullet on a range in TX. It was an astronomical impossibility that somehow happened. We wear seatbelts in the car, and earplugs at car races so why should kevlar around bullets be unusual. I try not to go overboard but like it has been said, things happen. To the boy's family I want them to know he did not die in vain.