The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 24, 2009, 05:06 PM   #1
K-Minus

Rifle info,sears/roebuck 22.

I need info on this rifle.I havn't seen it,a friend has,and he sent me a message
of what's on the barrel.

"sears roebuck and co.mod 41-103 19771-22. cal S.L at L.R"

He's interested in buying it but since he knows me as the "Gun guy" he's asked me to reserch it first.

I need pics,history and value if possible.He said it's a bolt action if that helps.

I'v never heard of this company so I imagine it's been around for a time.
This is where i'll need the help of the old timers

Thanks for any and all help.
Old January 24, 2009, 05:10 PM   #2
justanegg

a general note on sears is that forbes projects them at 80% likely to declare bankruptcy this year. (sears / roebuck purchased kmart, on a loan based on the valueation of the property that the stores occupy, with their real estate value dropping 30% they are now in default of their loan).

buying a sears product is something i would be very cautious about until they disclose their next quarterly sales reports.

as for this gun itself, i have not seen one, how much are they asking for it? maybe look into what parent company actually manufactures them.

::EDIT:: sorry idn't realize it was an older gun.
Old January 24, 2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Tommy Vercetti

it wasn't made by Sears, it had to have been made by any number of manufacturers like Mossberg
Old January 24, 2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Ronbo1

sears

I had a sears brand bolt action 22 when I was a teenager and I am 60 that looked just like a Marlin. I don't think sears has sold any guns for at least 30 years. They have never made any firearms but were other firearms branded with the Sears name.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old January 24, 2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Hawg Haggen

It's a Marlin model 101. Here's one on Gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=121234973 The sears model wont bring as much as a Marlin marked one.
Old January 24, 2009, 05:54 PM   #6
CajunBass

Quote:
"sears roebuck and co.mod 41-103 19771-22. cal S.L at L.R"

I'v never heard of this company so I imagine it's been around for a time.
This is where i'll need the help of the old timers
You've never heard of Sears, Roebuck and Co.?

Man, I must be even older than I think.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 24, 2009, 06:24 PM   #7
chuckles

Well they dropped the Roebuck quite a while ago. He probably has never heard of montgomery Wards either.
I bought my S&W model 41 at Wards in 1980. Sears used to brand the guns they sold as JC Higgins IIRC. To my knowledge Sears hasn't sold guns in quite a while.
Old January 24, 2009, 06:54 PM   #8
hockea

I have a sears mod 41-103...

...got it in 1964.
Does it cock on opening? If so it may be the DLA model.
Old January 25, 2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Buzzcook

Marlin 101

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=121234973

If you need to look up Sears guns again this should help.
https://www.gun-data.com/sears_roebuck_guns.html
Old January 25, 2009, 01:21 PM   #10
CajunBass

Quote:
Well they dropped the Roebuck quite a while ago. He probably has never heard of montgomery Wards either.
I bought my S&W model 41 at Wards in 1980. Sears used to brand the guns they sold as JC Higgins IIRC. To my knowledge Sears hasn't sold guns in quite a while.
Well, yea. They did. Actually I don't think I ever saw a J.C. Higgins gun in a Sears store. I know they did brand them as that, but all I ever saw was "Sears" brand, and "Ted Wiliams," with Ted Williams being the upgrade model.

First gun I ever bought, was a "Sears/Roebuck" brand double 12 ga, a rebranded Stevens Model 311. 30" barrels, full and modified. My mother ordered it on the phone, from the Sears Catalog in those long ago, pre GCA 1968, days. They delivered it right to the house same as they did bedsheets and handsaws.

Both shotguns I got today are "Sears/Roebuck" brand. One is a Mossberg 500, and the other a Winchester 1200, just stamped "Sears."

And just like they do "Wal-Mart" guns today, people said that "Sears" guns were seconds, and rejects, back then too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 16, 2009, 01:28 AM   #11
Willielumplump

RIFLE SEARS MODEL 41-103 1977 Cal. .22 L & LR

Greetings: I own a RIFLE SEARS MODEL 41-103 1977 CAL. .22 L & LR in prestine condition, given to me by a former brother-in-law who had obtained it from his deceased father's estate. I have never fired the weapon, it appears to be brand new, came in a box but I seem to have misplaced the box. The rifle is single shot, bolt action; so far I have not found the serial number but I have yet to disassemble the weapon so it might be under the stock. I regestered with the FiringLine Forum in order to pass along this information. It appears to be an excellent weapon, attractive and worth purchasing (I am not interested in selling mine!). Having served 20 years as a Marine (enlisted & commissioned) I think my judgement of this weapon is accurate.

Last edited by Willielumplump; February 16, 2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: CORRECTING TITLE
Old February 16, 2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Hawg Haggen

Quote:
so far I have not found the serial number but I have yet to disassemble the weapon so it might be under the stock
Don't waste your time looking for a serial number because it doesn't have one. Serial numbers weren't required until 1968.
Old February 16, 2009, 10:25 AM   #13
Willis

guns from the past

I have the JC Higgins 22 S-L-LR (Short-Long-Long Rifle) I bought in 1958 with my paper route money. I went to Sears & Roebuck, ordered it and went back by myself a week later and pick it up. I was 15 at the time. Things were a bit different back then. It cost $23. It is bolt action, tube feed, and holds 17 rounds with the one in the chamber. I put a 4x scope on it about 15 years ago. Changed the 4x to a 3-9 about 5 years ago. I still shoot it. It is more accurate at 75 yards than my 10/22. Summer before last I got 50+ gophers (ground squirrels) with it. It does not have a serial number.

Willis
Old February 16, 2009, 11:30 AM   #14
TEDDY

brand names

for all of you out there buy NUMRICK cat. it has pages of number conversions
for brand names.besides its great read.plus all the part breakdowns.I just use it to look up the marin 101 being discussed.
Old February 16, 2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Willielumplump

SEARS RIFLE MODEL 41-103 1977 Cal..22 L & LR

For Hawg Haggen: many thanks for info pertaining to serial number (or absence thereof) pertaining to subject weapon. I thought it quite odd not to find one readily observable.

Another reason I logged on was to let all of you know that there is, in fact, such a weapon in existence.
Old March 10, 2009, 05:29 PM   #16
22boy

I have two of these rifles they are single shot 22 short, long, and long rifle. It is a very reliable gun for me, very accurate and is pretty good looking mine are in pristine condition the stocks are wood. It is good for plinking and Hunting. Mine has a blued barrel, wood stock, nickel trigger and bolt and has a pull back bolt like on the Henry youth model single shots if your familiar with them. They are open sighted but can put a scope on with no smithing needed. Over all its a very nice gun.
Old March 11, 2009, 05:53 PM   #17
mobb67

Hey 22boy ,

Can you give me some info on these type of rifles i.e. year of manufacture
etc. I was recently given one and though it is in excellent shape
I suspect that it was made sometime in the late sixties or seventies.
Stamped on the barrel is Sears 22 short, long and long rifle. It is
a little beauty! It is a bolt action, single shot with a model # 101-2830.
thanks-mobb67
Old March 11, 2009, 11:04 PM   #18
Scorch

mobb67-
Your rifle is a Savage 73.
Taylor Machine
Old March 12, 2009, 03:17 PM   #19
mobb67

scorch,

Thanks for the info. The quick story about the rifle is this:
I am renovating a house that belonged to a gentleman that passed
away several years ago - he was in his late fifties when he died
and was a friend of mine. I was working in a closet under the stairwell
when I moved a carton of ceiling tiles and bam ,down slides this little old
rifle covered in dust. Pretty much all his other belongings had been cleared
out of the house by his girlfriend. God only knows how long it had been sitting up there. She gave it to me and I took it home and cleaned and oiled it.
It is in pristine condition. You never know what is going to fall into your
lap. I know somewhere Billy is looking down and smiling.

Mobb67
Old May 10, 2010, 09:00 PM   #20
PervySage

SEARS AND ROEBUCK AND Co.

The Sears and roebuck 22 bolt action is a micro groove rifling bolt action LR and SR firearm. It was made without serial numbers and is why the "people" you have gotten replies from don't know anything about it.

Model 41-103 1977-22 CAL S.L.&L.R.

I currently have 3 that I have restored.

PS. What a waste of time it was for anyone else to reply to the first post....lol....you all sound like you don't know anything at all about guns. A 25 yr old has to give some input that could actually help this person. Its funny how the "old timers" that posted replies don't know much about this beautiful youth rifle...........And no it doesn't cock on pull back for the bolt!

Last edited by PervySage; May 10, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old June 5, 2010, 03:59 PM   #21
bugwon

Sears 42-103

I have a bolt action model 42-103, I think made by marlin, but branded by sears, and I need a clip for the rifle. Mine has been missing for a long time. Anyone have any ideas where I might find one???