The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2009, 01:36 PM   #1
only1najeep

Ruger Blackhawk

I just bought a Ruger Blackhawk that has not been converted. It is a 1971 serial number and was curious if i should send it to ruger to have it done. I dont even know if they are still doing it for free. Will it hurt the value of the pistol? any help would be great. plus if anyone has an original box for this pistol in .357 im in the market for one. thanks
NRA range safety officer
Old January 23, 2009, 01:47 PM   #2
CraigC

Hell no! The so-called "safety conversion" is designed to save the idiots from themselves. There's not a thing wrong with the original design, which is based on Colt's lockwork, if you know how to handle it. The feel and trigger are superior in every way, especially compared to the New Models. Just remember to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber. Load one round, skip one chamber, load four rounds, draw the hammer back to full cock, then lower it all the way down on the empty chamber. Simple, easy. The only safety you need is between your ears.

Also remember to always lower the hammer from full cock, never from the half cock notch.
Old January 23, 2009, 02:13 PM   #3
only1najeep

thanks

Thats kind of what i was thinking. usually when a "problem" must be fixed usually means someone found a way to screw up a perfectly good and safe design. thanks i'll leave it the way it is.
NRA range safety officer
Old January 23, 2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Bear Claw Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC
Hell No!
What he said!!!!!!!

The conversion had the worst trigger pull ever. Just use old fashioned sixgun safety and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 23, 2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Dirty Bill

I've got a 1971 super single six,and they will never convertit as long as I own it. It's a very good revolver,btw...
Old January 23, 2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Gun 4 Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC
Hell no! The so-called "safety conversion" is designed to save the idiots from themselves. There's not a thing wrong with the original design, which is based on Colt's lockwork, if you know how to handle it. The feel and trigger are superior in every way, especially compared to the New Models. Just remember to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber. Load one round, skip one chamber, load four rounds, draw the hammer back to full cock, then lower it all the way down on the empty chamber. Simple, easy. The only safety you need is between your ears.

Also remember to always lower the hammer from full cock, never from the half cock notch.
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
Get it? Good!
Old January 23, 2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Jim March

Ummm...Ruger does give you the original parts back in a little baggie. If you're one of the 5% or so of people who manage to keep ahold of it, no drop in value will occur as the basic gun is unchanged.

I have heard before that converted Rugers have a worse feel than New Models that started life with a transfer bar.
Old January 23, 2009, 09:01 PM   #8
CraigC

We've also heard a lot of reports that the old parts were not returned. If you absolutely must send it in, take the parts out that will get replaced.
Old January 23, 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Bear Claw Chris

Not sure what they do know, but years ago the did send the original parts back.

I know, because every 3 screw I owned, I put them back in myself!

Jim March is correct, converted Rugers have an absolutely horrible action.

Cocking them feels like grinding gravel in them.
Old January 23, 2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Mat, not doormat

I can't tell you what to do with your own gun. I can only tell you what I would do if it were mine. I'd not have it converted. Heck, I've even had two of my New Models un-converted.

The loading operation is easier, the trigger is better, and the gun is no less safe. As a matter of fact, handled properly, it's actually safer. There's no way it can possibly go off without a round under the hammer, but there are several ways for the transfer bar system to foul up and make it possible.

~~~Mat
Old January 23, 2009, 10:34 PM   #11
RioKid

New Models

What year did they start making the New Models? I just bought a used New Model SBH .44 mag. that has printed on the top of the bbl. "made in 200th year of American Liberty". Ofcourse I am assuming this would be 1976.
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Ps. 19:14
Old January 23, 2009, 10:51 PM   #12
CraigC

Old January 24, 2009, 12:01 AM   #13
RioKid

New Models

Thanx, CraigC. I didn't realize they had been making them that long.
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Ps. 19:14
Old January 24, 2009, 12:49 AM   #14
daywalker627

My neighbor has a Blackhawk it is the 44 mag. There was a scope on it and he decided to take the scope off. The problem he had when taking the scope off was that who owned the gun before him had taken the rear site off and it was not with the gun. He called Ruger and they told him to send them the gun and they would replace the rear site for free. He went to our local gun dealer and the gun dealer sent my neighbor to usps for a shipping box and placed the Ruger into the box and sent it off to Ruger. One week later, the gun came back from Ruger. Inside the box was a baggie with a bunch of old parts. The gun itself had the rear sites paced in for free. Also, Ruger had placed a hammer safety and replaced many screws and even put on new rosewood hand grips. Honestly, the gun looks better now then before it got sent off. My neighbor took it shooting and he swears that the gun had never shot so good since the day he bought it. The hammer was new the trigger was new and even the trigger guard with the backstrap was all new. He also loved that fact the used to, he had to unscrew a screw and pull the stem out to take the cylinder off. Now all he has to do is push in the button and pull the stem and cylinder comes right out. I do not know much about revolvers and I am sure this thread probably shows that, however, I just wanted to pass on his experience. He had thought about selling the gun at first, now he tells me that he has fallen in lover with it all over again. Now he is trying to find a new holster rig to take it hunting when the season comes back in.
Old January 24, 2009, 02:41 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

If you think you ever might sell the gun...

Don't have it converted. If you send it to Ruger (for any reason) they will convert it to the new model lockwork. The have to, as part of a legal settlement. I have heard that they stopped sending back the old parts, but cannot verify this.

3 screw Rugers bring a premium to collectors. You gun is worth more "unconverted".
Old January 24, 2009, 02:47 PM   #16
Michael Bane

+1!

DO NOT get it converted! Non-converted Blackhawks go at a premium (I was lucky enough to pick one up a the local gunstore last year..it's now a beautiful Dave Clements' custom .44 Special.

Michael B
Old January 24, 2009, 09:27 PM   #17
daywalker627

Those of you saying not to convert, are you saying this because you had it converted and did not like it and then had it converted back, or are you saying this from hearing what others are saying?

The reason I am asking, I had my neighbor read this thread and he is shocked that people are saying that it made the gun worse. It made his better. As far as bringing the price of the gun down, he was told that it would not bring the price of the gun down one bit. If it does, then whoever is trying to buy the gun from you is trying basically give you a bad deal. You can sell the converted gun for the same price as the unconverted.

I am not here to make an argument. Like I said, I do not own one, my neighbor owns it and he wanted me to ask the question to the ones here on what basis are you all stating about it messing the gun up?

He just got the gun back this week and they sent him all of his old parts. He said need be, he would have it converted back if there was strong evidence that it hurt the gun. Right now its shooting better than it did when it got sent off. He said everythig was smooth about it.

Thanks for the help.
Old January 25, 2009, 07:37 PM   #18
CraigC

Personally, I'm saying don't convert it for all the reasons I've mentioned, purely out of experience. Bluntly, your neighbor is wrong. Traditional half cock actions are much crisper and smoother and capable of much better trigger pulls than transfer bar actions. That much is pure fact. The "safety conversion" adds new parts, replaces old parts on what will be at least a 35yr old sixgun. That is guaranteed to add some roughness that years of use smoothed out. The addition of the transfer bar kills that lovely trigger pull and add one more part to drag inside the frame.

It brings down resale almost universally. Collectors will never pay full price for a converted model. Ruger stamps a mark on them that's a big turnoff for those guys. Shooters will never pay full price for one converted that does not have the original parts with it. A great many shooters go to the effort and expense to seek out replacement parts to convert them back. Usually costing at least $150. Your neighbor is wrong again.
Old January 26, 2009, 01:36 AM   #19
Jim March

Quote:
The reason I am asking, I had my neighbor read this thread and he is shocked that people are saying that it made the gun worse. It made his better.
If that's the case, then the original parts were just bad in some way: either they were crap from day one or they were corroded or worn or something. In which case dropping in new "full safety" parts that happened to be made on a good day helped.

This would be an uncommon situation but not at all impossible.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:20 PM   #20
Mat, not doormat

I've fooled around with a few that have been converted, and I wasn't impressed. I'm also not that impressed with factory New Models, which were not converted, but actually manufactured with transfer bars. Up until the intro of the New Vaquero, the New Models were a PITA to load, as they didn't have halfcocks, or anything else to align the chamber with the loading gate. That's in addition to extra parts dragging and adding to the force required to actuate the action.

As such, I've had two of my New Models worked over to remove the transfer bars, set the triggers back to where they're supposed to be, and half cocks added. They are the slickest rugers I've ever seen. Not all of it is due to that part of the work, but it is a significant factor.

I don't know your neighbor, but I'd check out a few of both, converted, unconverted, New Model, etc, before I'd make a decision. Words on a screen can only convey so much. If you're anywhere near Ohio, PM me, and we'll rig it so you can try mine out.

~~~Mat
Old January 26, 2009, 01:22 PM   #21
CraigC

Quote:
I'm also not that impressed with factory New Models, which were not converted, but actually manufactured with transfer bars. Up until the intro of the New Vaquero, the New Models were a PITA to load, as they didn't have halfcocks, or anything else to align the chamber with the loading gate.
You ain't kiddin'! Most of my New Models are either freewheeled or have the Power Custom half cock kit plus a pair of 50th anniversary Blackhawks with the reverse indexing pawl. Dad left his Bisley Hunter with me for some load development which has no more than grips and a spring kit. It's extremely awkward going backwards, I'll definitely have to freewheel it if I'm gonna get along with it. While a New Model can be reworked into a nice handling sixgun with a good trigger pull, there is just no comparison to a tuned Old Model, Colt or traditional replica. I've got about a dozen each of New Models and traditional guns, they each have their advantages and disadvantages.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:46 PM   #22
daywalker627

I personally thank you for the replies. I will pass the info on when he gets off from work and let him read this himself. After I had stumbled on this thread, I had talked to him about it and he showed a little concern over the matter. He was wanting to find more information on that matter. Now it could have been a bad gun but unknowingly to him as he thought it was pretty good and now he just felt it was better. He does not intend to sell the gun now that it shoots better in his opinion. I had never shot it before or after. He does have all of the old parts. He was thinking last night that he might try and find a gun smith to see if he can uncovert it then look it over to see if there were anything wrong with it to begin with. But then again, he said it isn't costing him anything leaving it alone as is now being that it is accurate and shoots really good. So, I will pass on the info and just let him be to make his own decision.

Thank you all
Old January 26, 2009, 11:11 PM   #23
ipscchef

My old three screw .41mag is by far the sweetest single action I have ever felt, and most of my friends agree. You could not pay me to have it converted, and yes I have felt a reworked one, It felt like crap compared to mine. Just my two cents.
Old January 27, 2009, 09:08 PM   #24
sandbag

Don't mess

with it.Just treat it like a real SAA and carry the hammer on an empty chamber.Idiotproofing is actually for idiots