5. Weatherby
  6. Other please fill in.
Old January 22, 2009, 02:07 AM   #2
armsmaster270

Browning A Bolt?
Old January 22, 2009, 02:27 AM   #3
hardhit

rifles IV owned Anshults Sako Weatherby Winchester tikka
I have never owned Remington Salvage but I would say sako hits the number 1 spot for sure in my book followed closely by Wetherby tikka, Winchester and Anshults Wetherby tikka slightly ahead of Winchester.
Old January 22, 2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Jason R

1. Accuracy International
2. Remington 700 5r
3. Need I say more..?
Old January 22, 2009, 05:27 AM   #5
darkgael

Accuracy

From your choices, I'm assuming that you mean CF rifles. (the 5 most accurate factory centerfire hunting rifles). Otherwise, the Anschutz .22 target rifles would have to be on the list and probably number one. What about Colt's Match HBar ARs? Right out of the box, with good ammo, those will shoot one hole groups with the iron sights.
Pete
Old January 22, 2009, 05:41 AM   #6
roach4047

My Wilson Combat AR UT-15 comes with an Accuracy Guarantee
of 1 MOA @ 100 yrds. I'm sure their SS-15 SUPER SNIPER TACTICAL RIFLE would do better than that. And either of these two have got to be a couple of the best looking rifles ever

Roach
Old January 22, 2009, 07:52 AM   #7
snuffynra

you have left out

probably thee most accurate one ,as far as factory goes.you did not say affordable.LOL . The CZ Ultimate Hunting Rifle , is a new CZ 550 based rifle in .300 Winchester Magnum that comes in at 8 lbs, and includes a minute of angle accuracy guarantee to 1000 yards (when purchased as a package with Nightforce 5.5-22 scope & CZ one piece rings) . By maintaining quality control standards unheard of in the industry, the Ultimate Hunting Rifle delivers a level of accuracy formerly only available from high-end custom rifle smiths.
Old January 22, 2009, 08:38 AM   #8
sureshots

Tc Icon

TC ICON, these are guaranteed to shoot less than one inch groups at 100 yards. www.tcarms.com
Old January 22, 2009, 08:38 AM   #9
dipper

1) Savage

2 and 3 ----Sako/Tikka , Remington or Remington , Sako/Tikka your pick.

4, 5 etc. The rest in any order you like.

CZ builds a fine rifle but can't agree with:

Quote:
By maintaining quality control standards unheard of in the industry, the Ultimate Hunting Rifle delivers a level of accuracy formerly only available from high-end custom rifle smiths.
Just plain old sales hype.
Old January 22, 2009, 08:40 AM   #10
almtiba

what about HS-Precision ?
Old January 22, 2009, 08:57 AM   #11
hoytinak

I don't shoot bolts but in a semi I'd say the HK PSG-1.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:04 AM   #12
snuffynra

CZ builds a fine rifle but can't agree with: from dipper.fair enough but what about the money back guarantee of minute of angle at 1000 yds,does any other factory rifle do that.....also shooting usa did a show on it and they did confirm great accuracy,but the pushing $3000 price tag gets me.

Last edited by snuffynra; January 22, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:32 AM   #13
bojack2575

I tried to turn this into a poll, but screwed it up, but yes I was meaning out of the box center fire factory rifle used for hunting or target shooting. Basically any rifle that you can commonly go down to your local sporting goods store and buy that day, any rifle that has to be special ordered I consider custom.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Water-Man

Weatherby Mark V
Old January 22, 2009, 11:07 AM   #15
greg788

If you want "most accurate" out of the box then you order a rifle tha's MOA certified from the factory. Simple. So your options are:

TC Icon
Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA
Sako

There may be others but these I know of off hand.

Tikka, known for inherent accuracy, also comes with a target from the factory but isn't exactly MOA certified.

Beyond that, Savage always gets good press for accuracy but isn't MOA certified.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:07 AM   #16
L_Killkenny

Too many variables in this question. How in the heck can one compare a $300 sporter weight Stevens to a gun costing 8 or 10 times more? Everyone knows that for the $$ a Savage is hard to beat but I'm dang sure that a rifle built and properly set up as a tactical/long range gun will beat it soundly in the accuracy dept.

It might be better to break it down based on design. Sporter, Bull barrel, target, etc.

For the record: When comparing apples to apples a Savage will shoot with most of the production guns out there. Definitely close enough to make it so the extra money is not worth it if your "only variable is accuracy (not looks, finish, resale, etc).
Old January 22, 2009, 11:23 AM   #17
dipper

I've said many times, go to a few matches and observe what the guys ARE SHOOTING and see what is winning OR, pick up a copy of precision shooter or like publication and look at the winners and their EQUIPMENT lists OR go to a good benchrest website and read what the gentlemen there have to say about a certain rifle---you'll get a real good picture real fast as to what is shooting good and what isn't.

Accuracy guarantees, factory targets, "MOA certified" don't amount to a hill of beans for the most part.

Their are several manufactures of "common" buy it off the rack rifles that are building very good shooting rifles at this time and really, there are few variables that will determine which of these will out shoot the others on any given day....not the least of which is the guy behind it doing the shooting.
Old January 22, 2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Scorch

1. Howa- after all, Weatherby uses them for the MOA rifle
2. Sako
3. Savage (ugly, but they shoot)
4. Remington
5. Tikka

BTW, this isn't just my opinion. Field & Stream recently tested dozens of rifles, mostly in 308 Win, and this is the order they came in at.
Quote:
go to a few matches and observe what the guys ARE SHOOTING and see what is winning
Interesting. He is starting to sound like me. But since the thread specifically said factory rifle, I didn't throw in thing like Stohl, Panda, BAT and the like because those are what top shooters use as part of custom rifles.
Taylor Machine
Old January 22, 2009, 12:13 PM   #19
dipper

Quote:
Interesting. He is starting to sound like me. But since the thread specifically said factory rifle, I didn't throw in thing like Stohl, Panda, BAT and the like because those are what top shooters use as part of custom rifles.
Scorch, I've been saying that for years.

You should have been at the Hickory egg shoot----lots of Savages and Remingtons ( factory rifles) there along with MANY customs using the above mentioned actions.

Guess what won.....a ugly box stock Savage.

I like to go to matches that include factory rifles and go to as many as I can.
Haven't seen any Howas at any matches but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.
I DO see Savages and Remingtons however and a few Sakos.
Old January 22, 2009, 12:24 PM   #20
bojack2575

Quote:
You should have been at the Hickory egg shoot
I am going to ask a dumb question, but is the Hickory egg shoot what it sounds like? Do you shoot eggs at varying distances or are there paper targets as well? Sounds pretty interesting!
Old January 22, 2009, 12:25 PM   #21
Scorch

Quote:
You should have been at the Hickory egg shoot----lots of Savages and Remingtons ( factory rifles) there along with MANY customs using the above mentioned actions.
I don't know why, but Howas have been sleepers for decades. They are excellent shooters right out of the box, but you hardly ever hear someone going on and on about Howa rifles. It's always Savage vs Remington, as if no other rifles existed in the world.

I had a Howa (S&W 1500) in 223 back in 1986 that was scary accurate, probably the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I let a friend talk me out of it and he unscrewed the barrel and rebarreled it for 7mm TCU.
Taylor Machine
Old January 22, 2009, 12:30 PM   #22
LateNightFlight

Cooper.

"... guaranteed to shoot 1/2” 3-shot groups at 100yds using match grade ammunition."
Old January 22, 2009, 12:59 PM   #23
blacksky

Savage

Savage MK II BTVS 22LR
Not considered pretty in some circles.
But a tac driver out of the box.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BTVS.jpg (58.3 KB, 7423 views)
Old January 22, 2009, 01:43 PM   #24
Chui

Steyr should also be mentioned. As well as Blaser, Sako, FN and a host of Remingtons.
Old January 22, 2009, 01:56 PM   #25
sc928porsche

The most accurate factory rifle that I have run across is the FN Mauser. I do not own one but I have 4 friends that do in different chamberings and they all are extremely accurate.