The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2009, 06:16 PM   #1
boatmonkey82

semi auto 12 ga with clip

call me dumb here but does anyone make a 12ga semi auto that can take a 10-20-30 or drum clips? or is there some stupid law forbiding such ?
Old January 21, 2009, 06:34 PM   #2
JohnRaven

For price, your best bet would be a Saiga 12...
Old January 22, 2009, 12:26 AM   #3
lipadj46

They tend to be banned as destructive devices with no sporting purposes. The Saiga for whatever reason has escaped this fate. Maybe it is because of the hunting stock who knows. They are fun shotguns though. Here is mine:

Old January 22, 2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Icopy1

You can add a Knoxx sidewinder conversion to Mossberg. Not sure of the round count, but it does gives you the detachable mag capability.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:11 AM   #5
boatmonkey82

man id hate to see of of those on full auto !!! the aa12 little brother
Old January 22, 2009, 11:05 AM   #6
4thPointofContact

Currently your only choice is the Saiga series. Sometimes you can find a USAS-12 on GunBroker, but it's a DD and you'll pay out the nose

Valtro makes/made a magazine fed shotgun, but I've never been able to find anyone who imports it or even has one.

In pump guns, the Monolith P-12 had a lot of potential and was scheduled for production in 2009, but it's been 'delayed until the political climate stabilizes' aka: we won't tool up until we are certain our mega-dollars aren't going to be made useless with a ban.

I put 70-rounds through a USAS-12 earlier this week, had all the kick of a 5.56
Old January 31, 2009, 10:29 PM   #7
22_Shooter

Quote:
You can add a Knoxx sidewinder conversion to Mossberg. Not sure of the round count, but it does gives you the detachable mag capability.
That's not semi-auto.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:42 PM   #8
Webleymkv

Quote:
They tend to be banned as destructive devices with no sporting purposes. The Saiga for whatever reason has escaped this fate. Maybe it is because of the hunting stock who knows.
The Saigas are not classified as a DD by the ATF because they are sold in a "sporting" configuration and are not offered with factory high-capacity magazines (the 10 and 20 rounders are all aftermarket). I remember reading somewhere that the ATF said they wouldn't re-classify something based solely on aftermarket parts (the other detatchabe mag shotguns were never offered from the factory in so-called "sporting" configurations and were therefore deemed by the ATF to have no "sporting purpose").
Old February 1, 2009, 01:48 AM   #9
Gunfighter123

The Saiga-12 is about your only choice --- mine has shot hundreds of rds. of Buck,Slugs and Birdshot and I've not had a single malfunction.
Old February 1, 2009, 04:33 PM   #10
TN_Mike

I love my saiga 12 and add on the 20rd drum it makes for some happy times until it is time to reload and buy more ammo .

Old February 1, 2009, 04:54 PM   #11
goodspeed(TPF)

I don't see the purpose.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 1, 2009, 05:32 PM   #12
strat81

Quote:
call me dumb here but does anyone make a 12ga semi auto that can take a 10-20-30 or drum clips? or is there some stupid law forbiding such ?
It's a magazine, not a clip.

Magazines have springs, clips do not.
Old February 2, 2009, 04:34 PM   #13
lmccrock

Quote:
I don't see the purpose.
Because its there. Fun. Whatever. There is no purpose for most of the firearm variants out there.

That said - I have seen some Saigas in 3-gun competition where the shotgun stages are won and lost on reloading speed. Drop mag/insert full mag is much faster than stuffing them in the tube one at a time.

Lee
Old February 2, 2009, 04:49 PM   #14
freakintoguns

while im genertally not a fan of AK based Weaponry, i have found myself wanting a Saiga 12 as well as a remington autoloader.

also lipadj46, where did you get that stock?

Last edited by freakintoguns; February 2, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old February 2, 2009, 04:56 PM   #15
bigghoss

Quote:
the other detachable mag shotguns were never offered from the factory in so-called "sporting" configurations and were therefore deemed by the ATF to have no "sporting purpose"
funny, I don't remember the words "sporting purpose" in the second amendment...
Old February 2, 2009, 07:14 PM   #16
lipadj46

Quote:
I don't see the purpose.
Deer hunting and turkey hunting with mine, what is the point of your shotgun? The Saigas have a chrome lined bore and barrel, are more or less indestructible, pretty much require no maintenance and can be completely field stripped in seconds with no tools. What more do you want, wood?

Last edited by lipadj46; February 2, 2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old February 2, 2009, 09:12 PM   #17
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
the other detachable mag shotguns were never offered from the factory in so-called "sporting" configurations and were therefore deemed by the ATF to have no "sporting purpose"

I don't either, but apparently the BATFE does:barf:
Old February 2, 2009, 09:37 PM   #18
lipadj46

Quote:
That is really a moot point because we miss out on a lot of cool stuff because the powers to be think that there is no real purpose to owning them. The street sweeper shotgun is one. I believe the .50 BMG will be the next to go.
Old February 3, 2009, 04:00 PM   #19
Jimbo-Indy

So does that mean there is no "Sporting Purpose" for my Tromix modified Saiga 12 ? With the folding stock, pistol grip, vertical front grip, shortened barrel w/ flash hider (just on the legal limit) and a stack of 10 round magizines it sure looks mean. I'm sure there must be a purpose beyond home defense. My local club runs a shotgun division in it's monthly steel shoot. I think I will try that as a "sporting purpose".
Old February 3, 2009, 04:23 PM   #20
HvyMtl

The Saiga is based on the AK design - ported to 12 gauge.

They are amazingly light weight. I have not yet had the chance to fire one. Typically, the price is around $500-600 or so.

Self defense yes, but I can see possible skeet shooting.
Old February 3, 2009, 08:56 PM   #21
MisterWhite

The local gunshop has one in(Saiga 12). I was amazed how light it was. The thing does look devious.
Old March 3, 2009, 02:23 AM   #22
max_drum

For "sporting purpose" we use Powermag 700 made by www.maxrounds.com . No problem with ammo up to 3''.
Old March 3, 2009, 03:02 AM   #23
Nnobby45

Quote:
The Saiga is based on the AK design - ported to 12 gauge.

They are amazingly light weight. I have not yet had the chance to fire one. Typically, the price is around $500-600 or so.
That's one reason they're popular--the AK similarities.

Also available in tube magazine. Gabe Suarez is fond of the Saiga, and features both the tube and detachable mag. versions, as well as the 870 in his latest shotgun dvd.
Old July 26, 2010, 12:33 AM   #24
KEVIN74

searching.. used Saiga Semi-Auto shotgun

Growing up, my father took me fishing & Hunting alot, and tought me how to clean/care for all the firearms we had, I loved it when i got my 1st .22 semi-auto rifle, it caused me to start a firearms collection, mostly "Sports" classified, but I had a couple antiques (1873 Wenchester)-- when I moved and "Somehow" the moving truck / company "Lost" not only my entire Firearm collection, but also several --only Valuable-- items (comic book collection, though I lost all interest when I discovered how fun Girls were..haha, but I kept them, had the Whole series of X-Men, with doubles of some issues, like the one where the "Old" X-Men changed to the new ones, I spent my weekly allowence --slowly getting the whole series..and boy did it yank my chain, when I spent half my money<comics were cheap back then--late 70'searly 80's>on issue .. I think roughly #32 was some exactly the same as issue #13, might be off a few #'s, plus the spiderman that had the upsidedown "Safty Stamp"<whatever it was called> ect.)
Anyways, I'm interseted in anyone willing to talk about a deal on a Firearms, I like the Saiga Shotgun Mag. Drum Semi-auto 20-12 ga. in ANY condition, even just parts, my children are getting of the age that they would like me to teach them proper Gun Maint./ Safety as well as my own curiosity, I love to "Tinker" withthem, and the Saiga is one I'm not familar with, so even one that no longer works, or just parts ect. I'm interested in. If the economy was better and I hadn't suffered a big Finnatial blow, I'd be happy to restart my collection with new models, but beggers can't be choosers, I'll have enough $$ to eventualy start looking at new prices after, taking care of the new "School Year" supplies & clothes for 3, I can't believe how much it costs just for the new underwear & socks !!!
But yeah, I'm (and all 3 of my children) really interested in learning more, tinkering, ect. about the Saiga Semi-Auto shotguns, but any firearm used-non working-parts-info books/pamplets on maint. ect. ** plus, does anyone know if they make --reproduction/working models-- of great firearms like the 1873 lever action ,MP40, the M14 ect. also realy looking for a Glock 26 I've never seen one but they look so great + have so many great reports for a "Palm pistol" + AR 15 (I'd love to have one, they make different lower & upper recievers, get the one that takes Beawulf 50 round !)
Well I love to talk about firearms, this thread was the 1st one i've been able to find decent info about a good semi-auto shotguns --thanks !!!
Old July 26, 2010, 09:56 AM   #25
rjrivero

Saiga 12's are out there, but most of the used market are heavily modified Saigas. They're like the AR of the shotgun line.

You can get one brand new from K-var.com for $469. www.k-var.com

Hard to beat that price.