The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
scf8169

Beretta 418 panther/ bantam

I have a 1953 .25 (6.35) Beretta 418 that my mother recently gave me. Belonged to my dad, only gun I've ever known of him owning. I need some parts (firing pin, pin spring, spring guide), but everywhere I check online, such as Numrich or Bob's Guns in Arkansas, they are out and don't no when or if they might get anymore. Anybody have any ideas? I'd really like to get this thing back in operational condition, for sentimental value.
Old January 21, 2009, 08:12 AM   #2
LFOD1776

I'd search Gunbroker for the parts or a parts gun. Create an account and then create a search; you can get notified by email of new matches to your search until you find a real beater that you can snatch up for not too much money.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Que

+1 on GunBroker. You might also try here: http://www.gun-parts.com/beretta/

I have a 1953 and 1946 418 and they are both fun little shooters, and, Mr. Bond's first gun.

Here's my 1953 with the later type of grip safety.

Old October 2, 2013, 07:05 PM   #4
bil

Stay on top of ebay as well.....
I talked to Beretta today, in search of a schematic or a manual (with no luck), but learned that the date stamped (1950) on it is not the date it was made. Apparently all these were made before WWII. The date stamped is the date it was sold. It could have been made anywhere between 1920 and 1935 or so. Hard to tell, as records of serial numbers are sketchy.
Also, it seems that there are but small differences between the years, though there are some, as in the shape of the grip safety, and also some interior parts are different. Good luck in finding out which.
This major gun, made by a major maker, has to be among the least documented of all the guns I've ever researched, save possibly those from behind the Iron Curtain. Damn shame.

Last edited by bil; October 3, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old October 3, 2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Sharpsdressed Man

Parts and parts kits taken from stripped down police confiscations end up on gunbroker and ebay. They are the best source for many discontinued and obsolete guns.