The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
RamSlammer

Ranier Lead Safe 230 gr. HP??

I'm loading some .45 ACP with these plated Ranier HP's and having trouble finding references in manuals or online.

Everything I see about plated bullets says to load like they're lead.

For starters, they're .451 diameter rather than .452. Shouldn't lead or the like be .452?

Next all the 230 gr. lead bullet references I find are for round nosed bullets which these are not - they have a similar profile to a Hornady XTP. I'm thinking the RN COL's listed are too long for a HP profiled bullet?? If so, could I just use the COL tolerances listed for a similar profiled JHP bullet (like the XTP)?

Also, does the .451 diameter call for any extra measures to ensure firm seating to avoid push back when cycling through my semi autos.

I plan on using 5.5 grains of Unique and CCI 300 primers. Alliant's website calls for 5.7 grains for a 230 grain LRN.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The round nose loads won't apply because the flat nose will have to seat deeper. That raises pressure considerably. I don't have any of those, but hold one next to the case and measure how much of it will be inside the case. I can use QuickLOAD to estimate the charge adjustment as compared to a lead round nose bullets seated to SAAMI cartridge maximum.

The plated bullets don't need to be as wide as lead because gas blowby doesn't affect them as much. They are not as hard as jacketed bullets, however, so their start pressure is lower, like a lead bullet.
NRA Patron Member
Old January 19, 2009, 11:07 PM   #3
RamSlammer

These bullets are .638" long. They feed well in 3 different barrels and mags at COL of 1.237". (Increasing some still would work also.) The brass I'm using is once to thrice fired and varies from .889 to .895", it's all short so figure seating is .290" to .296" into the cases.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Actually, its the distance from the bottom of the case on the inside to the base of the bullet that matters: how much powder volume there is determines peak pressure.

The Alliant site actually called for 5.8 grains. I plugged the Hornady 230 grain LRN, 0.640" long bullet seated to 1.270" into QuickLOAD with 5.8 grains of Unique. This produced prediction of a mild 14,743 psi. Your bullet is two thousandths shorter, but seated a little further in at 1.237". That raised pressure a couple thousand psi, so I backed the load down to 5.5 grains and a predicted 14,752 psi resulted. So your choice of 5.5 grains is an excellent pressure compensation choice. About as close as you'll get.
NRA Patron Member
Old January 20, 2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Mark whiz

I've always loaded my plated bullets somewhere between the lead load and the jacketed load listed for that particular weight and shaped bullet. Or thought of in another way, I load on the lighter side of plated loads............. in .45ACP that is usually .2 or .3gr less powder depending on the powder.
!
Old January 20, 2009, 01:55 AM   #6
RamSlammer

Fantastic. Thank you Unclenick!! Ended up at 5.3 grains as averaged +/- .2 grains on my Lee Auto Disk measure with the .61cc disk. (it doesn't like Unique so .2 is about as good as it does). I feel good about the load though and the bullet seating. It's getting a solid crimp but not enough to hurt the plating.

Thanks again for the consult. First time out with these plated bullets, but for the price they seem a good deal if they shoot alright. Will post chrono results after the next range trip.
Old January 20, 2009, 02:01 AM   #7
ljnowell

As a note to your thread, I recently loaded some 200gr hp Raniers. They were very accurate and the plating help up well. I was able to push them to 1000fps using 700x. The only downside to those bullets are the lack of expansion. Even at 1000fps there was zero expansion of the hollowpoint. The tested mediums were milk jugs of water and wet phonebook/magazine stacks. YMMV.
Old January 20, 2009, 02:41 AM   #8
RamSlammer

I was dubious about whether they would expand as well. No need - my paper targets won't notice. Ideally, I'd like to work the 230 grainer up to about 950 fps to duplicate the Hornady XTP +P load I like for SD purposes in a practice round that won't lead my barrels.

I do think perhaps Ranier is over-hyping their HP's based on their website comments. Heck the things even look like a cross between a Gold Dot and SXT.
Old January 20, 2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Mark whiz

Speaking of 200gr Raniers - my Springer 1911-A1 eats up the 200gr Ranier SWCs at an alarming rate...................with 1/2 inch groups at 15 yards shot off-hand when loaded with 9.6gr of AA#5 and an OAL of 1.258". This produces 903fps at the muzzle.
!
Old January 20, 2009, 01:41 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

pretty sure

I would not use nor recommend 230g Rainiers driven to 950fps.
Use jacketed bullets.
To do so most highly recommend using Alliant Power Pistol.
Old January 20, 2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Walkalong

Quote:
Speaking of 200gr Raniers - my Springer 1911-A1 eats up the 200gr Ranier SWCs at an alarming rate...................with 1/2 inch groups at 15 yards
I have had great success with the Ranier 200 Gr SWC as well. It's a much better bullet than their 200 Gr FP or HP.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:35 PM   #12
ljnowell

They are great bullets for target practice. I wont complain about the quality as far as accuracy. I was told by many that the plating was poor and to expect fouling, even at speeds of 1Kfps I did not have any of this, in fact the plating was intact on the recovered projectiles. I will say that their customer service is below poor, and that if I decide to ever buy plated bullets again it will be berrys. They are cheaper to boot, and every bit as good.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:36 PM   #13
RamSlammer

Update: Range Report

As promised here are chrono results for this load . . .

Five shots through a Shooting Chrony F1 at 10 feet. 35 degrees, 720 ft. elevation; 4" barrel, Ruger P345 (my handload testing gun). . . .

1 - 781 fps
2 - 786 fps
3 - 788 fps
4 - 794 fps
5 - 790 fps

avg velocity = 788 fps

Average of 5 shots through 5" Wilson 1911 CQB = 795 fps

Overall a very mild shooting load. Was a bit surprised at the velocity numbers as felt recoil seemed tamer than WWB 230gr FMJ. Grouped well off hand, but no extensive rested accuracy testing was done. The load was somewhat sooty, but no more than UMC factory loads.