The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 18, 2009, 02:23 AM   #1
rjarms

Member sees the light, but need headspace

I finally convinced my brother-in-law to take steps and protect his family and our country by purchasing a rifle. This was no easy task given he's in academia. I'm really hoping to bring a new brothers-in-arms to our elite fraternity of members

So ignoring my advice to purchase an M1 Garand he purchased a Mosin Nagant.

The rifle and accessories was $110 out the door.
But I told him about head space gauges and not to shoot unless he head spaced the rifle. Is there anybody out there with 7.62x54R head space gauges (go, no-go) that would be willing to ship them to me (I'll pay postage both ways) to gauge his rifle? I would return them in 5 days.
Regards, Joe
Old January 19, 2009, 03:55 PM   #2
kraigwy

I bet you a gun smith will check the headspace for less then the postage and insurance both ways.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 19, 2009, 03:58 PM   #3
fisherman66

I agree with Kraig. A professional "once over" is a added benefit.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Monsin Nagant?

Sir;
The Monsin is a good rifle in my opinion.
Do the serial numbers match on the bolt and barrel? If they do you Should (?) be O.K. However, these rifles are very strong and I've used many and have never heard of any problem with one.
They are a powerful rifle and have been in service for many years. The Russiand killed eight out of every German soldiers in the war with them and female snipers were greatly feared and they used the rifle you have.
However, as a choice for home defense it is greatly overpowered and will shoot through a number of home walls! For outside use it's O.K.
"Acedemia" aren't all that gun stupid; I've worked on a number of pistols for Ohio University genre.
I have one of the short Monsins with the folding bayonet and really like it.
I feel your dissapointment that he didn't walk out with a good 1911 but it is what it is!
Harry B.
Old January 20, 2009, 02:08 AM   #5
rjarms

Smith

Yes, the numbers are matching on the rifle to the bolt. That is one thing I made sure of before he purchased it. The rifle looks outstanding. I'll ask the Smith about checking the headspace, they wanted something like $70 for it if I recall which was silly.

I'll just keep my eyes peeled for one, I know not many people are checking headspace on Mosin's because they are inexpensive rifles.

He just wanted the rifle to "keep up" with his brother-in-law.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

Monsuin Nagant

Sir;
I'd get some military surplus ammo and clean all the grease out of barrel and chamber and SHOOT it! With numbers matching it's certainly O.K. and particularly if it's new looking! This rifle "headspaces" on the rim of the case and there is so little chance of it being unsafe I would personally shoot it!
Take your buddy out to a range and do some shooting. He's not going to "keep up with anyone" with the Monsin! He will, however have lots of fun because I have never fired a more pleasant rifle, even with a steel butplate! Is it the long one, or the carbine. The long rifle shoots very sweet - I truly love mine! Make sure he cleans the barrel and chambe as some ammo may be corrosive.
Good shooting.
Harry B.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:52 AM   #7
Sam Harrison

Mosins can be fine rifles. Like any "cheap" gun, sometimes you'll get a lemon but then again, they're not expensive and pretty easy to find, so you can't really mess up too much unless you live somewhere you can't shoot it much or there are many houses nearby, since it is powerful. If he's familiar with guns you may want to hold onto it for fun shooting. From what I recall, shotguns with the right shells are a safer choice for home defense, though.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:13 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

A flat point 180 grain cast bullet loaded down to around 17-1800 fps with 16 or 17 grains of Unique would be suitable for home defense unless you live in an apartment, and be an easy shooting plinking load for younger folk to learn on.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle