The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 16, 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
ginoe

rifle recoil pad - rh

cabela's read about my woes regarding the missing barrel wedge and sent me a $15 dollar off coupon, so i used it towards a rifle recoil pad - right hand.

hoping this will help with the 100gr charges!

cabelas hawken 50cal percussion

Last edited by ginoe; January 16, 2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: pic
Old January 17, 2009, 05:01 AM   #2
Hawg

You're kidding.........Right?
Old January 17, 2009, 06:58 AM   #3
sundance44s

I use one of those pads when I bench my Sharps ...My old torn up shoulder couldn`t take the pain without it ...and I don`t have to worry about where the butt of the rifle is , it`ll take the flinch right out of bench shooting big bores .
Old January 17, 2009, 12:20 PM   #4
shortwave

Sundance, my brother has some shoulder/back problems that has kept him from shooting any long guns the last few years. How much recoil percentage-wise would you say recoil pad takes out of your sharps. He loves to shoot 50 CAL. B/P with loads up to 100grns but can`t anymore. Would make his day to get back shooting.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
ginoe

lol, no joke! with the $15 coupon & a $20 off coupon from my last order - i got a few more bp accessories.

- - -

Hawg Haggen You're kidding.........Right?
cabelas hawken 50cal percussion
Old January 17, 2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Hawg

No. I guess I'm just recoil insensitive. To me 100 grs. with a conical doesn't have much kick. None with a round ball.
Old January 17, 2009, 01:35 PM   #7
kirpi97

Now Hawg, not all of us were born of goodly stature. While others have encountered over the years disabilities that pose an issue when discharging the higher grains. So on behalf of the smaller framed and the countless others, I accept your kind reminder that a recoil pad is for sissies. Though I shoot 100 grains in my Kentucky without a pad, I will say that that brass butt plate does get sore after a day of shooting. And my in-line came with a sissy pad. So I guess I is one of them.

But what I am more happy to hear about is that Cabela's did the right thing. I just knew that what ginoe experienced at the store was not indicative of the company as a whole. So I am glad to hear they tried to make it right.

I will say it was a much better deal than the Floridians got on their class-action lawsuit. Seems the DMV sold their private information and the lawsuit was for the compensation. They, meaning the lawyers, settled for $10M. Of which the law firms (3) each get $1M and the Floridians each get $1 off their next renewal. That is getting screwed!
Old January 17, 2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Hoss Fly

I guess I'm just recoil insensitive. To me 100 grs. with a conical doesn't have much kick. None with a round ball.

My GPR .54 wacks me purdy gud with 90grs
Old January 17, 2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
My GPR .54 wacks me purdy gud with 90grs
Well Hoss you'se is a wuss anyway. Just kiddin bro. I wasn't callin anybody a sissy and yeah I'm pretty hefty now but haven't always been. Also tore the ligaments in my right shoulder and elbow up and was a week away from having to have surgery on it to fix it when I started showing improvement. Lot of stuff I can't do anymore, like bowling or shooting a bow but recoil doesn't bother me much till you get to the really big stuff. Only reason I have recoil pads on my 30-06's is because the stocks came that way. None of my shotguns have them or anything else for that matter.

BTW Hoss that 54 would prolly work better with 115.

Last edited by Hawg; January 17, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old January 17, 2009, 03:42 PM   #10
armedandsafe

Quote:
Now Hawg, not all of us were born of goodly stature.
One thing I noticed back in the late 40s was that the bigger men actually have mor problems with recoil than us skinnys. They absorb all the recoil on muscle and bone, while we lighter built people get moved around.

I was shooting 30-06 competition at 90 lbs and was not bothered by the recoil. I had to have somebody stand behind me when shooting from the sitting position and somebody had to stand on my feet when shooting prone.

My .50 Hawkens don't bother me, even at 110 grains and 250+ gr conicals. I can still shoot 100 rounds of 30-06 or 8x57 in a day with no problems. However, the 6 lbs 16 ga double kicks the bejabbers out of me. The big Model 12 and the Browning patent pumps don't bother me as much.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old January 19, 2009, 04:49 PM   #11
sundance44s

Shortwave .....I use one like the one in the picture I bought at Sportsmanswarehouse .....they come in 3 different thicknesses ...I bought the one in the middle .....Heck I call it a sissy pad too ..guys , but I`m 6 2" and weigh 210 ...and I could wear a dress and you wouldn`t call me a sissy ....
Understand guys some of us have health problems that just won`t allow us to guff it up ....My right shoulder is torn up to , so bad it crunches when I move it ...my neck is missing 5 disks and I have some new fangled glue and bone replacements all covered over with a nice peice of steel and 6 screws ...if I take care of it and don`t beat it up too much ..this new neck is suppose to last 5 years before my next sugery ......if I take a pounding and grin and bear it , I could get a new neck every few months ...I shouldn`t even be shooting large cal. rifles and shot guns ....but what else have a got to have fun ......with some of us everything is a no no ....but we have to do something thats fun ...
ShortWave tell your brother to buy the thickest one and he should be able to do some shooting ..........
Old January 20, 2009, 08:23 PM   #12
shortwave

Thanks Sundance. Think I`ll get him one. Really miss shooting/hunting with him. Sounds like your neck/shoulder injuries compare with his and not being able to shoot drives him nuts. P.S. Don`t let these tough guys rattle your chain, they`re just funnin.
Old January 21, 2009, 08:31 AM   #13
sundance44s

Shortwave...I beleive this will get your brother back to doing what he loves .
Aw these guys here are like bros ....no one ever complains about health problems , and if you don`t have them , you just don`t know ....
I use to be one that would have done a little ribbing if one of my buds showed up with the recoil pad on .....One of my Sharps shooting buds , told me the other day .......he didn`t feel the recoil at all , and 3 days latter had a sore shoulder and a nice bruise .........