The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 11, 2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Jeffenwulf

Large objective AR scope

Hey ladies and gents. I picked up a Charles Daly Defense 24" varmint AR about a month ago and now I need to find a scope to go with it. I'll be completely honest here, I want something big and completely garish. She'll only be brought out at the range and probably won't ever see a target past 200 yards. Since I'll be a bench commando those days, weight isn't an issue.

I don't want to spend a bazillion dollars on the coolest scope with anti-fog coating made from nano-diamonds and the sweat of woodland fairies. I just need a serviceable scope for the AR. I just saw a Millett scope with a ginormous 56mm objective lens at Academy. It's pretty garish by itself, but with the 4" visor it's positively appalling. I love it! For $200 it seems like it would do just fine.

The rifle came with risers and no iron sights, so I haven't had a chance to test her out yet and I'm starting to get antsy. If you have any suggestions on an alternative to the Millett or good/bad things to say about it, I'd love to hear from you. If, however, you have a scope that costs as much as my car with crystal lenses ground flat with dust from Pluto that self adjusts for range out to 36 miles, please start your own thread. We're all jealous of it, no need to rub it in.
Old January 11, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
PDBreske

No suggestions, but I wanted to say thanks for the chuckles. This is the first honest post on scopes I've read in a long time.

EDIT: Maybe you can buy this monstrosity I saw at the gun show: It had an optical scope, a holographic scope, a laser, and a light all attached to the same quick-detach rail mount. It kinda looked like the roof of the Ghostbusters-mobile.
Old January 11, 2009, 10:49 PM   #3
sholling

You can save a bit of money and get as good or better a scope with the Simmons 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Classic. These are actually a good $230 scope for $100-130 when you catch a sale.

Mildot
Plex

Old January 11, 2009, 10:53 PM   #4
PDBreske

Don't you know that he isn't interested in a "good scope?" What he wants is something that "looks" like it could see the flag planted on the moon's surface. Functions matters not - what counts is the ability to wow his buddies at the range.
Old January 11, 2009, 11:21 PM   #5
TheManHimself

Whatever you get, make sure you get a massive sunshade to go with it. Nothing like the looks of a scope with a tube as long as the scope body hanging off the end of it
Old January 11, 2009, 11:24 PM   #6
PDBreske

Quote:
Whatever you get, make sure you get a massive sunshade to go with it. Nothing like the looks of a scope with a tube as long as the scope body hanging off the end of it
In fact, I'd say find a metal shop that can fabricate a sunshade that extends to the end of the barrel. Maybe even a few inches past it ... just to be sure. And add an additional bell cone that makes it look like it has a 75mm objective lens. Hehe.
Old January 11, 2009, 11:28 PM   #7
TheManHimself

Well, having the sunshade hang over the end of the barrel would be garish as hell, but muzzle blast might beat on the end of it and damage the scope. I'm assuming that if the goal is to grab attention at the range, having the scope come apart while shooting is going to attract the wrong kind of attention.
Old January 11, 2009, 11:35 PM   #8
PDBreske

Ah, but not if he also has an attachment that connects the scope bell to the muzzle. How 'bout an integral sunshade/muzzle break? I'm just tossing out ideas here.
Old January 12, 2009, 08:37 AM   #9
bedlamite

Quote:
I want something big and completely garish
Clicky

It's really big and has 4 knobs.
Old January 12, 2009, 09:05 AM   #10
bojack2575

I heard these are good scopes.

http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-snip...le-scopes.aspx
Old January 12, 2009, 09:07 AM   #11
bcarver

walmart

Walmart has a 65 buck 6-20X 56mm with bases,flip up covers and a neoprene cover; illuminatted reticle in two colors(green/red)and ten brightness levels with mil dots.
I can't think if the name but you could cut a shade out of some drain pipe.
A little gorilla glue, some wine corks for spacers, couple cable ties a little duct tape and some black paint....

I'm going to get one today. I'll update.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:19 AM   #12
Alleykat

I use a Simmons Whitetail Classic, the "normal" price of which is around $100. Midway advertises their "normal" price as around $249, but I think that's just more of Midway's deceptive advertising. They've NEVER sold one of those scopes for $249. It is a pretty decent scope, though.

Many scopes offer stackable sun shades, if the OP really wants to get garrish, he could stack about three on his scope.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:37 AM   #13
globemaster3

Just a word of advice after mounting a seemingly normal 40mm objective on a DPMS LR308. Ring height. I had to go with extra high rings to fit that bell as the high ones caused the front bell to contact the front edge of the picatinny rail. With a 56mm, you might need more.

Just a thought. Good luck.
Old January 12, 2009, 12:16 PM   #14
Jeffenwulf

Thanks for the ideas! I just saw a positively horrible photo of an AR with 50mm on top at
http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/sitebu...eraticator.jpg

It's almost the same gun. I'd want it to lie just over the barrel shroud, but that's the general idea. I'm not worried about clearing houses with it and I'm not a sniper. I won't be hunting mountain goats in the Alps or taking pot shots at antelope six miles away. I just want a match AR with a giant frickin' scope (and visor). I don't clamp the rifle down in 13 places and I'm lucky if I can remember to bring out a couple 4x4s for a rest.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:47 PM   #15
Lloyd Smale

ive got a 4.5x14 nikon buckmaster thats in the 300 dollar range to buy and its alot of scope for the money.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:04 PM   #16
Stevie-Ray

I bought a Leapers 4-16X50 as a "great experiment" for my FAL. The experiment being that if it's as capable as I think it is at 100 yds, I'm going to get a proper Nikon for it. So far I haven't shot it at 100 due to the range's policy of "sighting in" at minimal ranges before trying out the next, and right now, it's just too cold. It's lovely at 50 and believe it or not, I'm impressed with the Leapers, especially for 119 bucks. If it stays this good, I'll probably just leave it on til it breaks. It's a mil-dot with red or green illuminated reticle and has a 3 inch sun-shade, for the ultra-garish in you, and flip-up lens covers.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:16 PM   #17
Jeffenwulf

That sounds great! I'm not having good luck locally. The Millett is the last one they have (and they can't find the box). The Bushnells there have crosshairs that I hate. I'm not spending $900 for a Nikon with a laser rangefinder ... it looks like I'll be ordering this one online. The Leapers looks like a possibility as does the Meuller Eraticator.

Last edited by Jeffenwulf; January 12, 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:37 PM   #18
MeekAndMild

Quote:
I don't want to spend a bazillion dollars on the coolest scope with anti-fog coating made from nano-diamonds and the sweat of woodland fairies.
Maybe for $20 more get the Millet with an optional flush toilet and ooga horn?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:55 PM   #19
Jeffenwulf

Only if it plays the theme from Top Gear (Jessica). For that I'd throw in an extra $25!
Old January 12, 2009, 08:38 PM   #20
tINY

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atnrifprof12.html

It's a bit pricey, but it has an 80mm objective... yikes! It's almost 20" long too

-tINY

Old January 12, 2009, 09:26 PM   #21
Jeffenwulf

I just ordered the eraticator from the Mueller optics website. I only got one sunshade though, probably should have picked up 6-7 extras. It's the same as the photo in the link I posted earlier. I almost went with silver, but it doesn't seem as though it would match the stainless barrel. It's got good reviews in addition to being truly massive. Now I have to wait impatiently for it to arrive so that I can try to get it as close to the barrel shroud as possible.

Oh yeah - they're Michigan too, so even though parts are ordered in from overseas I think they qualify as a U.S. company, no?
Old January 16, 2009, 07:37 PM   #22
Jeffenwulf

Eraticator just showed up at the door about 30 minutes ago. I'm quite pleased with it so far. The shape is pleasing, the glass seems to be high quality, and I was able to zoom x25 and still see things clearly in low light conditions. Then I remembered the red dot and was even more happy. I'll mount it and try out the whole system this weekend. I laid it on top of the risers and it as almost resting on the barrel shroud, so I'm going to get the lowest rings that I can possibly use and mount everything on the risers. If that fails, I'll just get rings for a 50mm scope and call it a day. Wish me luck, I really want to like this scope.
Old January 16, 2009, 07:51 PM   #23
MeekAndMild

Quote:
I laid it on top of the risers and it as almost resting on the barrel shroud, so I'm going to get the lowest rings that I can possibly use and mount everything on the risers.
How high does the riser raise things?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 16, 2009, 08:11 PM   #24
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Wish me luck, I really want to like this scope.
Sweet. Keep us posted. Always ready to hear about optics choices.
Old January 16, 2009, 08:34 PM   #25
troy_mclure

be sure to post up some pics when you get it mounted.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."