The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2009, 02:27 AM   #1
ohioguardsman88

Bore snake damaging the bore??

I bought a hoppe's bore snake for my 22lr rifle, and another one for my 40 s&w handgun since I heard a lot of good things about them and how they can save your time by make cleaning easier..etc.

However; when I am actually using it; it is very hard to pull through the bore and kinda make me worry that I am actually damaging the bore itself?!

I usually dispense some solvent into the bore and than pull the bore snake to the direction the bullet would go.

What do you think?

WRONG SECTION.

Last edited by ohioguardsman88; January 13, 2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: WRONG SECTION
Old January 13, 2009, 05:52 AM   #2
jsa3107

It wont cause any harm at all
It is better to claen then not clean
Old January 13, 2009, 08:46 AM   #3
kenjs1

that is how they work- they can feel overly tight. You can always drop down to the next lower caliber and use that sized snake but you aren't causing any damage running tight cloth over steel. What drives me nuts are the cleaning jags. The proper caliber jag will only work with the tiniest of patches and I am forever getting them stuck in the throat, having to ram a rod down the muzzle (yikes) to get it out. In the end it probably does more harm than good but bore-snake, no worries. You will find a method of holding the barrel and pulling that works and stick with it.
Old January 13, 2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

You clean your .22s?

I usually just run an oily patch down the barrel to get the carbon out. Have not had any issues with that, but then again, I don't have match grade .22s either.