The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 13, 2009, 12:33 AM   #1
chadwick76

what is the best ar-15 m4 carbine

i earlier posted a ques. of "what is thebest ar-15 lower receiver", and got no good info. I guess i should of said "i own many ar-15's ranging from 1967-2005". so now, i am stocking up on a few little things this year, and i realize lowers and mags were what i forgot to buy before the last ban. i use to think colt was where its at, now i hear different. Rock river is the name i hear. are they all the same?,they didnt all use to be. oh yea, there weren't many other manufac. then. thanks
chadwick76
keep on shooting!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by chadwick76; January 13, 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old January 13, 2009, 01:25 AM   #2
OlympicArmsFan

If your still looking to build them go to www.essentialarms.com for lower receivers they are still cheap and great recievers. I think they still also give you a discount on the more you buy the cheaper they are.

I for one dont care what name is on the side of my AR as long as it goes bang when it needs to. I would worry more about getting the receiver and mags before any kind of ban.

If you think RRA is the best you can buy full uppers and then get the lower parts from them as well. There are a lot of good kit companies out there.

I know a lot of the guys will say Del-ton.com, Model1sales.com and I used for mine a kit from akpartskit.com and I know before anyone says anything it is Hesse/Vulcan or Black Thorn. My gun goes bang every time so like I said the name on the side means nothing to me other then I may have paid way to much.

Good luck on what way you go but building is the best way and a lot cheaper.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:20 AM   #3
The Lovemaster

+1 Del-Ton for excellent customer service, competitive prices and refusing to raise their prices during the election mania.

The only problem is they seem to be a small shop and are running 3+ months behind on orders right now.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Technosavant

There is no "best." In the AR-15 community, it seems that there are those that are built with great attention to detail and those that aren't (they're built to hit a price point). Those that aren't are not necessarily bad rifles- the real differences have more to do with reliability and function in situations the average person will NEVER find themselves in (as in end of the world scenarios where you'll be having thousand round gunfights). The differences only matter in extended periods of actual combat.

That said, there are several companies making parts that are top shelf stuff. For complete rifles, I'd look at Colt, LMT, Noveske, CMMG, and similar. Rock River/Bushmaster are good, but they aren't generally to the same standards (but then, if you can shoot a RRA or Bushy to death, my hat is off to you), but as I said, the others are truly mil-spec rifles, and the price reflects it. You are talking a rather significant price difference- at least a 25% premium, and that was before all this panic buying.

So long as you avoid Vulcan/Hesse/Whatever they call themselves now, you'll be quite happy with the results.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Chui

COLT for Direct Impingement systems. If you're asking about Gas Pistons then it's *probably* LWRC and LMT.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:59 AM   #6
BeCoole

If you can get a small pin Colt Upper and some other lower that doesn't have the stupid trigger block like Colt, I'd say you have about the best you can get.

Otherwise:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642
Old January 13, 2009, 11:50 AM   #7
bigghoss

hmmm if only someone had posted this before you went and started another thread...
Old January 13, 2009, 02:24 PM   #8
OlympicArmsFan

I used Vulcan/Hesse/Black Thorn with no problems the gun goes bang every time. If you buy from them make sure you get a bolt carrier that is shrouded if not you have jam problems.

Im not one that wants to have a big name on the side of my rifle like everyone else just to say to the guy beside me hey I like your rifle it looks just like mine.

I also I see no need to spend 900-1500 or more in an AR-15. Why spend that when you can build using any lower you want and use what ever parts you want and have way under the gunshop rack price.

Black Thorn is using Mossberg and CMG barrels and I forget what upper but its a brand name.

I have seen on this board even S&W M&P have QC problems and I would say most all companies are going to have some QC as the big demand is there right now.
Old January 13, 2009, 02:28 PM   #9
RT

Colt, LMT, Noveske, maybe Sabre.
Old January 13, 2009, 04:28 PM   #10
TheManHimself

Noveske.

And to the fellow who said Vulcan/Blackthorne/Hesse's cast garbage is "just as good" as a Colt, here's something for you to try: Do mag dumps every other minute until you've expended at least 1000 or more rounds; see how it holds up. How a rifle performs in slow fire from a bench is no measure of its reliability compared to a combat weapon like a Colt or LMT.

If you're buying a weapon your life may depend on some day, do yourself a favor and don't cheap out.
Old January 13, 2009, 04:42 PM   #11
DaveInPA

I'm in the process of building a new AR with a LaRue lower and LaRue Stealth upper. When it's done, it'll be hard to get me to believe there's anything better on the market.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:39 PM   #12
RT

Yeah, Larue is fantastic, and they give you free stuff.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:49 PM   #13
eddyb74

A buddy who is shopping around sent me this. Hope it helps.

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

Just wondering, does anybody have any experience with Superior Arms? I bought a lower with a Model One upper. Gun has worked flawlessly and was priced well to boot.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:40 PM   #14
FALPhil

Quote:
chadwick76 wrote:
i earlier posted a ques. of "what is thebest ar-15 lower receiver", and got no good info.
Actually, you got a boatload of good info in that thread. It just must not have been what you expected.

You should not insult the intelligent people that responded to your first thread. I think you owe them an apology.
Old January 27, 2009, 01:10 AM   #15
chadwick76

falphil, are you one of the intelligent ones? sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao
Old January 27, 2009, 04:52 AM   #16
RockyMtnTactical

Just for a lower reciever? Doesn't really matter so long as it is forged 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy, hard-coat anodized.
Old January 27, 2009, 06:52 AM   #17
Lloyd Smale

like was said. build one. Dont worry about mixing parts, about every manufacturer of ars mixes parts. I dont know of one of them that makes every part that goes into there ars. they buy lowers barrels ect and assemble them. the top end guns might use a better quality bolt and carrier or some other part but those are all available to the home builder and you can put one together with generic parts for less then the typical factory gun and if you spend the same as a factory gun you can upgrade parts that will compare to the customs and do it a heck of alot cheaper. I have a combination of both. out of the box guns and guns i put together and bottom line is they all go bang and as to accuacy, they all shoot exceptionaly well.
Old January 23, 2011, 02:44 PM   #18
rappini

AR-15 M4

I have on order an AR-15 LLR-15 M4 and I was wondering is it possible to put a different Caliber upper on my lower and if so how high of a caliber and still used the existing mags.
Old January 23, 2011, 03:19 PM   #19
bigghoss

Quote:
I have on order an AR-15 LLR-15 M4 and I was wondering is it possible to put a different Caliber upper on my lower and if so how high of a caliber and still used the existing mags.
yes you can and there are tons of options but only the 300 black out(300BLK) uses the same mags because the round is based on the 5.56mm, not sure if uppers are even out yet though.

also next time start a new thread instead of resurrecting one that's been dead for 2 years and not even staying with the same topic as the OP and the search feature is your friend
Old January 23, 2011, 04:33 PM   #20
riverwalker76

NEVER BUY A COLT LOWER .... I repeat ... NEVER BUY A COLT LOWER!

Colt lowers and uppers are completely out of spec with anyone else in the industry. You CANNOT interchange random AR-15 parts with a Colt Lower or Upper unless they are specifically designed for a COLT. ie: You cannot install a standard lower parts kit into a Colt Lower. The trigger retaining pin is much larger for a Colt lower, and will be too large for a standard lower receiver trigger retaining pin.

Also, Colt lowers will not match up with standard uppers! I have NEVER been able to match a Colt lower up to ANY of my uppers and have it fit correctly.

Your best bet is to buy the cheapest lower you can find. I have never had ANY issues with any of the cheap lowers I have bought. ATI, Doublestar, and quite a few other companies out there make standard lower receivers.
Old January 23, 2011, 04:38 PM   #21
10mmAuto

Quote:
yes you can and there are tons of options but only the 300 black out(300BLK) uses the same mags because the round is based on the 5.56mm, not sure if uppers are even out yet though
I realize these are not larger rounds, but 5.45 and .204 feed reliably from PMAGs.
Old January 23, 2011, 06:02 PM   #22
RT

Pretty sure Colt uses .154" FCG pins now and has for a while.
Old January 23, 2011, 08:03 PM   #23
GeorgeSr

Colt has been using the .154 tyrigger and hammer pins for a while.They also did away with the horrible sear block in the lower some time ago.