The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 12, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Gazdik

How many people listen to their inner danger alarm?

I have been in some situations where my inner voice, alarm, whatever you want to call it told me to flee or take some sort of action...sometimes I listen and sometimes I don't...I question it and take the few seconds to think about it...lucky for me I have had nothing life threatening happen when I decided to question it...But almost all of the time I say after "hey why didn't I listen to myself and get the he** out of there?"...Maybe I carry to much hope that "it" can't happen to me or that people aren't as bad as we think...But I know they are, I have seen it with my own eye's all over the world and sometime I still just don't listen...Well just thought I would throw it out there..I'm really trying to listen to myself because 9.9 times out of 10...I'm right...anyone else?
11th Sig
Old January 12, 2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Dwight55

Maybe my mother watched too many spy thriller movies during WW2 when she was carrying me, . . . but I have for the biggest part of my life, . . . been cognizant of what is going on around me.

Yeah, . . . I did some stupids, . . . we all do, . . . but just about every time, . . . I had that inner warning before, . . . and just ignored it.

Lately, though, . . . the inner guy has been watching a whole lot closer, . . . and I've just been happy to see him work. And for what it is worth, . . . some of his new tricks he learned on this forum and on 1911.com.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 12, 2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Don P

Here is a book I suggest you read.
The Gift of Fear - by - Gavin De Becker
It is an excellent read on our sixth sense ( something does not feel right ). In his words from the book, DO NOT IGNORE YOUR 6TH SENSE!
Old January 12, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
tony pasley

I usually listen.
to the first.' - Ronald Reagan
Old January 12, 2009, 09:13 PM   #5
curt.45

Quote:
How many people listen to their inner danger alarm?
I just wish it would get my name right.

I get tired of......

Danger Will Robinson!, Danger Will Robinson!

Old January 12, 2009, 09:21 PM   #6
troy_mclure

always! im very paranoid allready!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 12, 2009, 09:52 PM   #7
Wagonman

LOL Curt.

I always heed my Spidey-sense
Old January 12, 2009, 10:25 PM   #8
KUHIO

I don't need an inner alarm.

I have good judgement, awareness and attitude
Old January 12, 2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Naterstein

If I had a Spidey-sense I would defo listen, but I dont think I do. I usually just avoid bad looking neighborhoods/zones.
Old January 12, 2009, 11:58 PM   #10
Hardtarget

I need to adjust my tin foil...wait...yes! that's it. I do listen to my inner voice. Sometimes I think its snoring. No, wait, that's my wife.

Joking aside, I don't think I have a developed sixth sense. I try to keep a good eye on whats around me. I try to give myself a bit of space around building corners, parked cars, cover areas in general. If I think a BG could use it...I avoid it.

Mark.
Old January 13, 2009, 01:23 AM   #11
supergas452M

I live every waking hour in condition yellow now. Sometimes I think I may be overdoing it but I'm ok with that. Im not scared of what may happen but I am afraid. I'm afraid for my family and your family, but I'm not scared. Know what I mean? Every day when I wake up I say to myself "today may be the day" and I'm afraid but I'm not scared.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:24 AM   #12
B.N.Real

ALL THE TIME.

It's better to be wrong safe then wrong dead.
Old January 14, 2009, 08:30 AM   #13
MAGon

Quote:
Here is a book I suggest you read.
The Gift of Fear - by - Gavin De Becker
It is an excellent read on our sixth sense ( something does not feel right ). In his words from the book, DO NOT IGNORE YOUR 6TH SENSE!
Read it! In fact, the title jumped into my mind when I saw the title of the thread.
I agree, excellent read. What you get from it dovetails with this thread: It's amazing how fine tuned the "early warning system" is, and how often we 'uns ignore it 'cause we think we're being unreasonable or paranoid!
Old January 14, 2009, 09:59 AM   #14
BillCA

Many people have the ability to "sense" something is wrong and take action on it. Others have to look around and see something suspicious or out of kilter for the location. Sadly, some folks are oblivious and will walk in to the middle of a barroom brawl and be shocked that it's occurring.

This "sense" can work on a subconcious level too. A few times it's worked that way for me and I'm glad it did. The best example was when my wife and I were helping friends celebrate a promotion with another couple. Around 10:45 we're having drinks in a small bar that's about half filled up when two men entered the bar. They ordered drinks from the bar and stood there while the hair on the back of my neck stood up for no apparent reason. I suggested we all go around the corner to a quieter bar and we did. We found out the next day that the two men had robbed the bar and patrons just about 10 minutes later.

It took me a while to figure out what triggered my subconcious alarm. Two men enter a bar on a Saturday evening, get drinks and then don't talk to each other. They don't split up either. Both take small sips of their beers. Uh-oh. None of this registered in the forebrain which was thinking up clever puns for our conversation. It's almost like the air pressure changed and I looked around for the cause, spotted the two guys and it was time to go.

Other people notice something "unusual" and look further, see things that don't seem right so they leave or prepare for some kind of action.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:54 AM   #15
besafe2

Pay attention to your feelings better safe than sorry. Most always you will be right.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:10 PM   #16
ZeSpectre

Watched a great research video on "luck".
They took a group and divided them into people who considered themselves "Lucky" and another who considered themselves "unlucky".

They then put these people through a series of "events" to test what was going on.

For example, a $20 bill laying in the street.

Every one of the "Lucky" people walking along was paying enough attention to their surroundings to notice the bill and pick it up. Every one of the "unlucky" people were so busy with cellphones, ipods, reading newspapers, or just plain in "condition white" that they strolled obliviously past the money on the ground.

I've always been "lucky" and working in LE honed that "instinct" and my ability to listen to it.

(for your amusement... People just don't pay attention!)
Old January 14, 2009, 01:37 PM   #17
xsquidgator

I always listen to that sense when it goes off. I'd like to be more observant and to have a more highly honed sense of something being 'not right', but I'm grateful for what bit of this sense that I do have.
Old January 14, 2009, 01:40 PM   #18
Wagonman

The thing that keeps me SA is keeping head on swivel and looking at people. It also camoflages my girl watching in front of wife.
Old January 14, 2009, 03:34 PM   #19
Sparks2112

Quote:
(for your amusement... People just don't pay attention!)
That's great!
J.M. Johnston
Old January 15, 2009, 09:10 PM   #20
FyredUp

Sixth sense? Perhaps, but like all other extraordinary skills of that vein you have to be open to it. If you believe in a sixth sense it will work for you. If you don't you will miss the obvious signs of danger that your sixth sense shows you.

I believe in the sixth sense of awareness. But I also believe in consciously always surveying your surroundings. If you are aware of who and what is in your danger area you are already moving towards appropriate defensive actions through planning for the threat.
Old January 15, 2009, 09:50 PM   #21
scorpion_tyr

I'm glad I have my inner alarm. There's a lot of times I wonder where the heck it was at when I could have used it, but I'm glad it's there most of the time.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:13 AM   #22
KnightZero

I always listen, and it has never been wrong. When it goes off, I run screaming the other way. Noise is important, just in case trouble catches me - someone should hear my screaming.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:19 AM   #23
akr

I listen to it, and it gets much louder when I watch the A&E channel...lol

NRA Lifetime Member
Old January 16, 2009, 01:04 AM   #24
raimius

When I sense something is wrong, I tend to look for something out of the ordinary, although sometimes I just leave. It has served me well several times while playing airsoft or other competitions, but not any severe situations that I know of.
Old January 17, 2009, 03:35 AM   #25
Para Bellum

a friend of mine should have listended

A friend of mine should have listened. A customer of our firm made a very tense and (internally) agressive impression to me. I warned my business-partner about this guy. My partner ment, "Uh, he's ok, relax". The next day this customer returned to our business, dashed straight to my partners desk and repeatedly stabbed him in the head until - for pure luck - the folding knive's joint broke. My partner's face was mashed on one side but his throat was untouched. He is 95% ok now and works again. The BG is shizoid paranoic, was in the puzzle factory for 4 years and is being prepared for his release (that makes me wanna puke).

Always, ALWAYS listen to your inner voice. It's what some of us admire in wild animals: Instict. We have it to, we just have to listen.