The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Bird shot vs angry bear....

Suppose you went hunting and the only shells you had left were bird shot.

If an angry bear confronted you and you knew your only chance of survival against the bear was to shoot him with bird shot in the face hoping to hit him in the eyes and nostril.

You take steady aim with your shotgun and shoot him in the face at 8yards out.

What bird shot would insure that you hit both eyes and his nostrils and the pelets penetrate deep enough to penetrate eyelids and blind the bear while annihilating his nostrils?

At first I was thinking you would need something bigger than #6 for adequate penetration. But I also think you might need a higher number to insure both direct hit on the eyes and nostrils.

I know this is a strange scenario but which bird shot do you wish you had loaded in your shotgun if this happened to you? Remeber you only need enough penetration to go through eye lids, eyes and destroy the bear's nostrils.

George Orwell

Last edited by Super-Dave; January 12, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old January 12, 2009, 08:06 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

SD, for our florida size bears, I wouldn't think it would make matters worse...
Brent
Old January 12, 2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Super-Dave

Well if this is the only option you have you have to take it.

If you can blind him and cause significant enough pain in his nostrils that might give you enough time to "Run like hell".

George Orwell
Old January 12, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Katrina Guy

who comes up with these off the wall scanarios all the time? LOL

I'll weigh in I reckon, the obvious answer is shoot shoot shoot with whatever you have, aim for the face or the nuts I guess *LOL* Maybe the bear will think it's attack bees from the hive he recently raided and run off.
Old January 12, 2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Super-Dave

Yes but which bird shot do wish you had in the gun.

I am going to guess either #7, #6, #5 #4.

You want enough penetration to destroy the eyes and nostrils and enough spread to ensure both eyes and the nostril is hit.

Which birdshot do you recomend?

George Orwell
Old January 12, 2009, 08:13 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

KG, This is not an off the wall thought... The black bears don't leave during small game/spring turkey seasons...
Brent
Old January 12, 2009, 12:17 PM   #7
.357 mag

I live in Illinois(no bears here) but when I pheasant hunt, I always 2 rounds of birdshot and 1 3 inch 00 buck shot for yotes. So Why don't do pack some slugs with you?
Old January 12, 2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I reckon a bear with 3+ rounds of birdshot in the face at contact range would most likely have other things besides you on his mind. Besides that, what choice would you have if such a thing did happen?
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 12, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
mnshortdraw

Ever shoot a tree at close range-10 feet? Peels the bark right off, no matter the shot size. Ideal? Heck no! Effective? I'd run if someone peeled the skin off my face. The problem here would be a huge angry half blind monster of a bear running around with a really bad attitude.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Wuchak

Why this fascination with black bear attacks here? Are you aware that attacks by black bears are incredibly rare? I mean really, really, really rare. Like you have to wear a bacon suit to increase the risk level to where it should be a concern. By far the most dangerous part of the hunting trip will be driving too and from the location. You're chances of dying from a snake bite are far greater than of even being attacked by a black bear, never mind a fatal attack. You'd be better asking what the best snakebite kit is. Do you know black bear behavior well enough to determine if it's a real charge or a bluff? You'd better if you are going to justify shooting and wounding a bear that is probably going to pull up and stop 20 feet away and just click his jaws at you and them move on. If you shoot you will have to report this to the the state wildlife agency and they will probably fine you, and they will not be happy that you have very likely created a very dangerous situation by wounding the bear.

Black bears are not that tough. 12 year old girls have fought them off with frying pans. Shoot a round into the ground in front of him and you'll have a good view of his backside as he gets out of there. If you are seriously concerned your best option is to spend the $60 and get a can of bear spray.

Grab a copy of Bear Attacks: Their causes and avoidance. Good book and you'll feel better after you read it.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:56 PM   #11
deanadell

Quote:
Why this fascination with black bear attacks here?
1. Makes for good reading
2. Instigates a lot of back and forth communication between board members
3. Aside from an occasional nugget of good information, the anectdotal posts are extremely entertaing

Quote:
Are you aware that attacks by black bears are incredibly rare? I mean really, really, really rare. Like you have to wear a bacon suit to increase the risk level to where it should be a concern.
Yeah.....so are Shark attacks....statistically....but I'm not going swimming with 'em

Quote:
By far the most dangerous part of the hunting trip will be driving too and from the location.
True, but this would make a BORING internet bulletin board.....I'd much rather read about guns inbetween calls from salesmen and pages to the shipping floor.....

Quote:
You're chances of dying from a snake bite are far greater than of even being attacked by a black bear, never mind a fatal attack.
True again....but if you look around, there are LOTS of posts asking about shooting snakes too

Quote:
Black bears are not that tough. 12 year old girls have fought them off with frying pans.
This would make a great topic, but it's not firearms related:

What kind of frying pan should I buy my little girl for when we go hiking? Teflon coated aluminum? Or does it have to be cast iron? Will my Bear Frying pan also work on rabid coyotes and foxes? Or am I going to have to carry a back-up frying pan in a different color?

Bring on the Bear posts!!!!!! I love 'em!!!!
Old January 12, 2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Smallgame2100

How many shells do you have?
Only one?
A few bird shots to the head should cause fatal damage, if not then critical damage which will give you time to leave the situation.
Old January 12, 2009, 02:02 PM   #13
Super-Dave

Yes, Yes I know all about the bear spray,the 00 buck,the 3.5 inch deplted uranium sabot slugs, and always carry a .500 smith and wesson revolver, and keep a spare white phospherous grenade in your shotgun pouch. I know all these things you are supposed to do. Including keeping a raw porkloin in your pack so you can drop it and run But

I am talking about the above scenario,

Which bridshot would be best to use in the above scenario?

I am guessing #7, #6, #5, or #4.

What do you think?

George Orwell
Old January 12, 2009, 02:04 PM   #14
Smallgame2100

Correct me if I'm wrong, lower number the bigger the bb's, right?
Bigger BB's=more pentrations.

So I'd like a #000 buckshot.
Old January 12, 2009, 02:07 PM   #15
Scorch

The average black bear harvested weighs about 250 lbs. A charge of bird shot at 8 yds has well in excess of the "magical" 1,000 ft-lbs of energy. Soooooo, shoot for the face, shoot again, reload, call the game warden and tell him what you have done, wait around for a couple of hours until he shows up, fill out reports, get a court date, go to court, pay your fine.
OR
say BOOO really loud and watch the bear run away, laugh until you feel like you are going to pee your pants, pick up your cell phone and call your buddies and tell them about it, hang up, get back to the car in time for lunch, snickering from time to time.

Sheesh! What a bunch of scaredy cats! If you are that scared of a little bear, how do you face the commute every day???
Taylor Machine
Old January 12, 2009, 03:52 PM   #16
Super-Dave

yes but you see this might not be your average black bear,

This bear might have just eaten a big bag of pot that the hippys down river had in their back pack. Now he is not only hungry he is enraged with hunger. This bear is rampaging through the forest like Rosie O'donnel at a Golden Corral. He needs food. Not just any food he is looking for meet. Plus who knows he might even be infected with the T Virus

Shooting just to make noise is not going to cut it with this bear. A few hours from now when the Park Rangers shows up all he is going to find are some boots, a Benelli and a big pool of blood.(Although in his official report it will say all he found was a pair of boots and a pile of blood).

George Orwell
Old January 12, 2009, 05:55 PM   #17
crowbeaner

Carrying slugs and buckshot during bird seasons here will net you a hefty fine and gun confiscation by the DEC. I always carry a shell holder full of warp drive 1 3/8 oz. #4s or #2s with me. I can stuff my pockets with lighter loads for the birds, and I carry the big shotshells for songdogs and whatnot. If I had to shoot a bruin with birdshot, I'd aim for the spot between his eyes. 2 rounds and run like hell.
Old January 12, 2009, 06:49 PM   #18
bardesa

Wait for him to roar, pop him in the teeth with a #6, get him again in the snout/eye region when he's down and run like you really did just see Rosie O'donnel at Golden Corral.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Katrina Guy

sorry Brent, just thought this was another...

if you could only have one gun what would it be, or will rubber bullets deter a three hundred pound crack head, or etc etc kind of thread.
Old January 12, 2009, 08:12 PM   #20
Tom2

OK, OK, I got one... What kind of ammo would you like to have in .22 when you are charged by a grizzly bear?
Old January 12, 2009, 08:21 PM   #21
long rider

OK i tried birdshot once on a grizz, but my parrot
was not too keen on been launch from a slingshot
Old January 12, 2009, 09:10 PM   #22
Bunny

#5 bear killers

I watch my father walk out of his house to shoot a medium size black bear that had ruined several of his apple trees. The bear was up about seven feet off the ground, the old man went right under it with his sxs fox 12 gauge and gave it both barrels in the chest. The bear hit the ground stone dead, I then comented " I hope you used those oo buck I bought you" he replied " why the hell would I use number oo when I have a new box of #5's sitin' on the shelf " I showed him the picture of the pheasant on the box, but he didn't care, his logic," those #5 are good bear killers why would I want to use anything else"
Old January 12, 2009, 09:32 PM   #23
jmr40

I don't understand why there is even a discussion. I would never purposely hunt bears with birdshot. Not even buckshot, but if attacked you are darn right I'm going to shoot what I have. It is not like you have a lot of other options.
Old January 13, 2009, 01:13 AM   #24
olddrum1

Always take bread and mayo along when bird hunting in bear country.

I think, before shooting, you should glue two pieces of bread to your butt with mayo incase you miss.
Old January 13, 2009, 07:19 AM   #25
Jeff Mulliken

Stupid is as stupid does.