The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Wallabing

So diffucult to remove magazine cap from my 870

I have a problem that's bugging me since I've tried to diassemble my 870 express. The magazine cap/barrel nut from a 2 round extention is so difficult to remove.

While the extension magazine was easy to remove, the barrel nut wont even budge with a pair of pliers, why is it way too tight?

I dont know of any way to remove it without possibly scratching it up. Anybody know of any magiacal ways to take this thing off?
Old January 12, 2009, 08:16 AM   #2
rantingredneck

Sometimes they are tight from the factory.

Pad some vise grips with cloth or other material and give it a go. May want to give it a shot of CLP first.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 12, 2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Wallabing

I've read on some forums a strap wrench will get it off, will it work?
Old January 12, 2009, 08:23 AM   #4
rantingredneck

If you have a strap wrench that you can get around the nut only it should. Trouble is there's not much to grab onto there and not much space to work with between the barrel nut and barrel.

If you take care to use a cloth of some sort you shouldn't have any trouble with vise grips

Old January 12, 2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Scattergun Bob

Wallabing

You got good advise from rantingredneck, just be careful not to crush the nut with excessive force! I only suggest that because I have had a "stupid" moment and done so. Otherwise it will work fine.

There is a specific tool called a fore-end nut wrench available, I got one in my armorers kit and it is like a waterpump wrench with curved plastic jaws that match the radius of the nut. However I am sure these days a tool like that would be very expensive, mine is 25 years old.

The design of this part has been questioned for many years and was key in my mind when helping Scattergun Tech design their mag extension. The wide over built nut on their extension excepts a 1" strap wrench, I gar-en-tee
it!. Looking at other aftermarket mag extensions I think they liked the idea and have done some "coping".

Good Luck & Be Safe, Oh, by the way give your 870 a hug for me next time you get her out to play.
Old January 12, 2009, 11:48 AM   #6
rantingredneck

I've got a Wingmaster that is difficult to remove the standard mag cap sometimes.

I go to take it down for cleaning or to switch barrels and I think, "Holy crap who put this thing on here." Then I realize it was me.

Though I'm almost convinced that the gunsafe gnomes come in at night and give it an extra quarter turn or so.....

Old January 12, 2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Wallabing

Alright, I'm gonna find a vice grip and see how it goes. Heres my last photo of her in all her beauty before I might scratch up something

Old January 12, 2009, 05:37 PM   #8
BigJimP

I don't own an 870 / but on my pump and semi-autos I use Rig Grease on the threads under the caps - and while I put the caps on finger tight / once it bottoms out, I back off them about 1/2 to a full turn. As long as nothing is loose - and they don't rattle - why do they need to be that tight ?

Maybe Scattergun Bob can address this issue - if he sees my note ... You want them to hold the barrel on / but too tight is much worse than not tight enough in my mind - kind of like choke tubes inside the barrel / you don't want them to be loose / but too tight is way too tight.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Lee Lapin

A strap wrench should work. For some unknown reason, the factory seems to have been cranking them down extra tight for a while lately. When you put it back on after getting it loose, you shouldn't have this trouble again. IMHO it's best to get magazine caps snug when you put them on, but not as tight as the factory job 8^). Usually I go finger tight and then one more click. It matters when shooting slugs, it seems...

lpl
Old January 12, 2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Scattergun Bob

BigJim

Actually Jim I forgot to add a tech tip to my first post. I found that a single wrap of white silicone tape keeps the nut from seizing on the threads. I agree with you that there is tight and "too damm tight" the difference between the 2 is about 1/8 turn.

My best Bob
Old January 13, 2009, 12:22 AM   #11
Wallabing

A vice grip + cloth is'nt working well, the darn magazine cap/barrel nut wont budge. I give all my strength counterclockwise and it aint moving at all. I'm gonna have to head out to a sears to find a strap wrench.

Darn Remington for overtightening it.....
Old January 13, 2009, 12:35 AM   #12
nimbleVagrant

I've used the rough side of a good, worn leather belt to good effect. Loop it around the cap and rotate.
Old January 13, 2009, 01:08 AM   #13
Scattergun Bob

Wallabing

Sometimes I forget that we all don't have armorers manuals on the desk. So forgive me not taking enough time to explain all the possible problems.

One problem that may be raising it's ugly head is that the magizine cap detent ball and spring on the barrel may be frozen due to corossion behind it or a bad peen on the ball. It can put a lot of pressure against the teeth of the magizine cap. This usually never happens to me during the life of my 870's because it is part of the 870 armorers checklist for a new gun and I fix it FIRST before I shoot them.

Once you get the nut off, place the barrel ring muzzle up on a flat piece of wood, use a small flat punch and qently depress the ball, apply a drop of ATF and work the ball a couple of times to lub it up, this is usually a once in a lifetime job.

If the peen over on the ball is funky, there is a tool to fix it, I suggest not buying the tool it is expensive, do the lube thing and then take it down to the local gun fixer. With the right tool it is just a gentle tap to return to perfect.

Sorry again for not taking enough time, hope all goes well with the strap wrench, REMEMBER sometimes solvent is our friend and a good soaking will loosen that sucker!
Old January 13, 2009, 08:20 AM   #14
Wallabing

Alright, after heading out to the mall/Sears, I finally found a strap wrench. It took me 3 good tries torquing it counterclockwise before the barrel nut finally gave way. I've reinstalled it and re-tightened it back to the point where it can come off by hand (Two extra clicks from snug)

Well, the strap wrench did it's job, I'm justed peeved off Remington over tightened it like a b***h, and I had to spend the extra $9 for a tool.

Anyway thank you guys for all the help and tips!
Old January 13, 2009, 02:32 PM   #15
dgludwig

Silver lining: now you've got the proper tool for next time!