The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 3, 2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Homerboy

REAL Cleaner for barrels?

I have tried them all. Hoppes #9, M-Pro 7, Hoppes Bore Gel, Bore Foam, CLP, FP-10, etc Nothing really gets the barrels clean. I shot 80 rounds through my Remington 700 (Wolf ammo, but it has done the same on better brands), clean the gun, go through about 20 patches, and the patches STILL come out dirty. So I pick up Remington "Bore Shine", and try that. Better, but 15 patches later, still not a clean white patch coming through. It has gotten to the point that I don't want to shoot anymore because I don't want to spend 3 hours cleaning the guns! Is there a product that actually does what it says it will? "Dissolves lead, copper and plastic fouling".
Old January 3, 2009, 04:20 PM   #2
250.ackley

try sweet`s 7.62 or barnes cr10 this is amonia based solvents and will take the copper fouling away. take a nylonbrush and skrub the barrel wait 15min then ram som patches trough it untill they come out clean. then do it all one more time. no if you dont shoot benchrest this will do the jobb.( if the rifle shoots good then you do not need a superclean barrel even some toppnotch barrels are hard to clean but shoots good) and you can use some wd40 and rubb the barrel before you apply the solvent this will clean up some burned powder and other stuff...johan
Old January 3, 2009, 05:12 PM   #3
B. Lahey

Breakfree foaming copper solvent is the bee's knees for copper fouling. Fill up the barrel, wait 5min, run a few patches through. It may take two or three repititions to totally clean a very badly fouled barrel, but it requires very little elbow grease, the foam does all the work.

For plastic fouling in shotgun barrels the Breakfree Powderblast is awesome. Just get a mop for your cleaning rod, soak it with the Powderblast and go at it, it won't take long to deplastify.

I don't think there is any one product that does everything well, unfortunately. The two above are the best I have found for copper and plastic, somebody probably has your lead solution, but that's not something I encounter much.
Old January 3, 2009, 05:38 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

in a hurry?

casn't help you.

I use RB17, but I only own handguns.

I prefer not to clean them.
Old January 3, 2009, 06:01 PM   #5
Fry1807

Remington bore scrubber is great, the gritty stuff... I find cleaning jags also help get a lot more per pass compared to the little eyed tip with a patch. Tipton brass jags rock!
Old January 3, 2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

What's your version of "clean"?

If you're trying to get every speck of copper fouling out of your barrel I think you're wasting your time.

IMHO, a little bit of copper fouling is good to have in a barrel. I think you may be taking it to extreme on your cleaning. My rifles sometime shoot worse initially after cleaning. Once I send a few down the barrel, my patterns settle in. If this happens, it tells me that I spent too much time getting it "clean".

It's one thing to have build up, but another to have your bore completely free of any copper/lead. No matter how much you clean, cleaning agents will pull fouling out of the rifling/lands in subesquent sessions.

That's my take on the issue anyway.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 3, 2009, 06:37 PM   #7
wogpotter

Heres what I do, & it works for me.
Using Hoppes #9, not the high ammonia content cleaners like sweets! Sweets is great stuff, but if you use it this way it will eat your bore

Run a clean,dry brush thru the bore 5~10 passes. Remove the brush from the rod before withdrawing.
(This gets the loose stuff off so the rest of the process gets the caked on & plated stuff out.)

Run 10 patches well wetted with Hoppes #9.

Run dry patches till they come out reasonably clean, not spotless.

Run 10 more patches well wetted with Hoppes #9.

Use a brush wetted with Hoppes, 1 stroke per round fired. (you do not need to remove the brush this time round.)
re-wet every 10 strokes.

Stand the rifle muzzle down overnight.
This lets the chemical action of the Hoppes dissolve & lift fouling, instead of scrubbing. The barrel doesn't have to be vertical, just the muzzle being the lowest point in the bore.

Next morning:

Run 10 patches well wetted with Hoppes #9.

Run 10 dry patches.

Repeat till they come out clean.

If the bore is heavily fouled from previous shooting you may need to repeat this a couple of times, untill all the earlier layers of powder & copper are completely gone, but once done the one overnight soak should be all you need to get the thing so clean it'll surprise you.
Old January 3, 2009, 06:50 PM   #8
noyes

Kroil give it a try.
Old January 3, 2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Homerboy

You're saying it will take 50 patches to clean a gun? Seems WAY excessive to me.
Old January 3, 2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Tom2

Kroil fumes will make you feel like puking. Otherwise it is good as for what it was made for.
Old January 3, 2009, 07:03 PM   #11
Jim Watson

The best cleaner is time.

1. Pick a solvent that does not warn against soaking.
2. Brush and patch a few times to get out the loose fouling.
3. Leave the barrel wet with solvent overnight. A chamber plug to let you fill it up is even better.
4. Wipe out and reapply, soak again.
5. Repeat until the barrel is clean or you are tired of fooling with it.
Old January 3, 2009, 07:12 PM   #12
noyes

Quote:
The best cleaner is time.
I agree

Ya all need to try cleaning a 50 bmg rifle. Takes days. Muzzle brake takes a few more days on top of that.
Old January 3, 2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Kroil fumes will make you feel like puking. Otherwise it is good as for what it was made for.
My wife thinks I should use it for cologne...

Then again, she loves the smell of MEK, too!

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 3, 2009, 07:36 PM   #14
hardhit

+ 1 jim watson especially the Leave the barrel wet with solvent overnight and A chamber plug to let you fill it up is even better good good
Old January 3, 2009, 08:39 PM   #15
Doyle

I'm wanting to try K12 from these guys http://www.laniganperformance.com/kg12testresults.html
Old January 3, 2009, 09:27 PM   #16
BradF

If you guys have never tried PB Blaster, you really should give it a whirl. It'll take crud and copper out of the barrel that you didn't know was there if you let it sit for 15-20 minutes.

Edit to add: After I spray the PB Blaster in the barrel, I let it sit for 10-15 minutes then I use a patch cut from a Swiffer Sweeper cloth to swab the barrel with Hoppe's #9. Those Swiffer patches hold a lot of #9, they're like a sponge. Then brush and clean as normal. The last patch run through the barrel is another Swiffer patch. You can't hide crud from one of those. The little fuzz is good for grabbing copper.

Last edited by BradF; January 4, 2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added text
Old January 4, 2009, 12:44 AM   #17
Tucker 1371

have the same problem with my SAR2 using both Rem Solvent and Hoppe's
No. 9. BUT, it's an AK so I usually just clean it until the patch is mostly white and consider it a job well done
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old January 5, 2009, 06:06 PM   #18
Alleykat

I'm using a mixture of Kroil, Butch's Bore Shine and Sweet's. I just keep at it until I no longer get green patches. I do occasionally use the Remington Bore Cleaner, which is about the same thing as JB. Beware of advice from guys who think that rifles shoot "patterns"!
Old January 5, 2009, 07:59 PM   #19
intruder

Bore Tech Eliminator all the benchrester use it will remove powder residue and copper. Run one wet patch then dry patchs until clean patch comes out
then run another wet patch until patchs stop coming out blue. Use nylon brushes and jags because it will pull the coppr out of the brass. No Ammonia smell. Check out their web site www.boretech.com.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:23 PM   #20
Stumper

Permit me my heresy. I think too many people are trying to clean too much. I occassionally use Sweets 7.62 for copper fouling .....but only occassionally. I used to uses Hoppe's #9 now I use Ed's Red. A wet patch, bore brush a few strokes, a couple of dry patches, a wet patch, a couple of dry patches, a wet patch...now put it away.
I do not care if the patch comes out gray when I run one through the next time I pull the gun out of the safe. The bores don't rust and the grooves aren't filled with bullet metal. The guns group as well as I am capable of shooting ( I plink and hunt-no competitive benchrest).

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old January 5, 2009, 10:33 PM   #21
DBotkin

My son & I used over 60 patches to get a Remington 700 in .22-250 really, really clean. We used Hoppe's #9, Butch's Bore Shine, good quality patches and a snug fitting brass jag. We got that sucker sparkling clean, patches coming out nice and white.

And I'm convinced that if I pulled that rifle from the gun safe today, the first patch full of #9 would come through black as coal.
Old January 5, 2009, 11:48 PM   #22
Gazzmann

I have even used Free All made by Federal Process Corp. It's in the same lineup as PB Blaster.
Old January 9, 2009, 09:03 AM   #23
Inspector3711

Be aware that your barrel may well be clean. Some cleaners react with metal jags and brushes... The patches will come out green because of this reaction.

I clean with alternating copper and powder solvents. I have good success with Hoppes powder solvent and Montana bore lotion. I also use shooter's choice copper remover. I go hoppes, let sit 5 minutes, Montana, 5 more minutes.. Then i alternate a few times between hoppes and shooters choice. Then I lay down a thin coat of hoppes oil.
Old January 9, 2009, 12:03 PM   #24
Scorch

I agree that some people try to clean their rifle barrels too much. I start out with Hoppes on a patch, let sit a few minutes, give 1 or 2 passes with a brush, dry patch, then punch the bore with a patch on a jag. If it is still too dirty, I repeat with Butch'e Bore Shine. When I'm doen, I wipe the bore with a bore conditioner (Tetra) to keep it from getting dirty so easily.
Taylor Machine
Old January 9, 2009, 01:21 PM   #25
FM12

Outers used to make (and may still make) an electric system to "unplate" the bore onto a metal rod inserted in the bbl along with a liquid medium. Might check on that.

Lord, how I HATE to clean rifle barrels.

Always remember to LIGHTLY coat some rust preventative in the bore after cleaning. Some of the cleaners will rust badly if not lubed afterwards. AND..

remember a clean bore may shoot to a different point of aim than a fouled bore. That's why benchrest shooters fire fouling shots before shooting again for group size.

Lord, I HATE to clean rifle barrels. HATE IT!