The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
herbie1

S&W K-22 .22 MRF q's

All,

I have a chance to get a S&W K22 M 48-4 8" barrel (in box w/accessories), in .22mag and have a few q's.

Since I would use it for target range practice, I would like to convert it to .22LR.

1. Is this convertible to to .22lR? What does it take and how much would it cost? Could I do it myself if I had the parts, or would I need a gunsmith to do it?

2. Is the price of .22 LR ammunition much different than .22 MRF?

3. The instruction manual says 'Dry-snapping ... should be discouraged unless ... performed on a regular target range...'. Does this mean that it is safe to dry-fire this gun?

4. What is the value and history of this gun?

Thanks.

H.
Old January 1, 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Gun 4 Fun

Some 48's came with an extra cylinder for .22LR. Those didn't display that great of accuracy due to the fact that .22 magnum barrels are .224" and .22 LR barrels are .222". Therefore the LR bullet is a loose fit in the 48's barrel, and accuracy is compromised.

Changing the cylinder or getting one fiited should be left to a qualified gunsmith, since the timing needs to be set and the ratchet needs to be cut correctly. Also, headspace needs to be set, and endshake needs to be set correctly (minimum).

As far as cost goes, .22LR ammo is nowhere near as expensive as .22 mag.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:48 PM   #3
James K
Staff

For fitting a .22 LR cylinder, I would contact S&W, not a local gunsmith. If they will do it, they can quote you a price and the job will be done right.

Frankly, I would try to find a Model 17/K-22 that is already .22 LR. Unless you want to use the gun on varmints, .22 WMR is simply too expensive, plus the noise and blast is significantly greater.

It is OK to dry fire any Model 17/K-22, Model 18 or Model 48. The firing pin is made so as not to contact the cylinder in dry firing.

Jim
Old January 2, 2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Hammer It

Quote:
For fitting a .22 LR cylinder, I would contact S&W, not a local gunsmith. If they will do it, they can quote you a price and the job will be done right.

Frankly, I would try to find a Model 17/K-22 that is already .22 LR. Unless you want to use the gun on varmints, .22 WMR is simply too expensive, plus the noise and blast is significantly greater.

It is OK to dry fire any Model 17/K-22, Model 18 or Model 48. The firing pin is made so as not to contact the cylinder in dry firing.

Hello
Poster Jim has given Excellent advice here. I will add that S&W will NOT fit any cylinders to the 48 anymore. They stopped that a number of year's ago, and do not have the extra cylinders in stock to do this with. In making a decission of whether or not you want to own a Model 48 it all depends on what you are going to use it for ? If Plinking is your intent, then the ammo is much more expensive in .22 W.M.R. form opposed to .22 L.R. rounds, so it is a No Brainer to buy a Model 17 chambered in .22 L.R. rather than the Model 48. I have both and enjoy Both, But if ammo cost is a concern you should not be looking at the model 48 in the first place as an average box of 50 rounds for this caliber will cost $12.00 These days.. Hammer It
Old January 2, 2009, 11:29 AM   #5
22-rimfire

I think you should leave the Model 48 as it is and get a Model 17. I echo what Hammer It said.
Old January 2, 2009, 12:21 PM   #6
herbie1

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I think I will take a pass on this one.

It is a shame that it is in .22 mag not .22lr. This is a very nice gun (except the DA trigger pull is very heavy.)

H.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:02 AM   #7
Gun 4 Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Keenan
Jim, I got the following off S&W's web today.

Can I dry fire my S&W handgun?
Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.
Old January 3, 2009, 09:28 AM   #8
22-rimfire

Where is this Model 48? I know many here might be interested since you aren't. 22WMR's aren't for everyone. Ammo cost is the main deterent to purchase and shooting. Cost is about like shooting a 38spl centerfire.

That makes me raise the following question. Why does most everyone consider the 22WMR expensive to shoot when they may take a box or two of 38spl ammo out and just blast it away like it is nothing? I feel the same way about 22WMR being expensive. Maybe I need to change my perspective.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:14 PM   #9
CraigC

Quote:
Why does most everyone consider the 22WMR expensive to shoot when they may take a box or two of 38spl ammo out and just blast it away like it is nothing?
I can't figure it out. Most people seem to unfairly compare it to the .22LR and rather than praise it for everything it can do, they cry about what it cannot. Which is how the story goes with so many things. The .22Mag is a wonderful cartridge in both rifle and pistol but suffers from misjudgement at every turn. You get a real jacketed 40gr bullet at far greater velocity that kills all out of proportion to its paper ballistics. It ain't a plinking round and was never meant to be but it gets the job done affordably. Time spent at the reloading bench can be spent shooting, or hunting.

I've had the hots for an 8 3/8" M48 for years. I had a 6" 648 that I traded off for some stupid reason. I know where two M48's are sitting at a shop in Florida that I need to grab. Don't bother asking me where, it's my little secret.

As the others have said, if what you want is a .22LR, you need to pass on the 48 and wait for a 17.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Hammer It

Quote:
I've had the hots for an 8 3/8" M48 for years. I had a 6" 648 that I traded off for some stupid reason. I know where two M48's are sitting at a shop in Florida that I need to grab. Don't bother asking me where, it's my little secret.

Hello
Here is one I watched for about Two years and drove the Poor Guy Nuts that owned it. It now resides with me to never be sold or traded. It shipped in 1961 and is a Four screw no dash model..These in a 4" tube are not seen often. Hammer It

Old January 3, 2009, 12:28 PM   #11
CraigC

I've actually seen more 4" versions than 6" or 8 3/8" models. I usually prefer a 6" but for some reason the 8 3/8" appeals to me in that particular model. I'd like to have a matching set of 8 3/8" models 17, 48 and 14. Local shop had a long 17 a couple months ago but it had been monkeyed with and they still wanted $500.
Old January 3, 2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Gun 4 Fun

Hammer It- That gun would look a lot nicer if your hand rail was freshly sealed!