The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2008, 04:05 AM   #1
mpstan

New Tikka 6.5x55, want to start reloading

Hi,

I actually have two questions...... I'm leaning towards Hornady's LocknLoad single stage kit for $300; also considered rcbs. One of the clinchers is 500 free 129grain Hornady SP bullets with the deal. That's about $150.

I need to decide in two days if I want to take advantage of the free bullets offer. For now my boy is just learning to shoot and will be doing bench shooting most of this year, so accuracy and small groups are a priority. Dead deer will come later.

Hornady seems to have a loyal following. What do you say?

Thanks
Old December 29, 2008, 09:24 AM   #2
FatWhiteMan

You can't beat the free bullet offer. Go with the Hornady. Good press too.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
James Kain

Might I say good choice of cal! My personal favorite!

No you cannot beat free bullets!
But I do know RCBS too has a huge fallowing. Myself one of them. I d say take a look at each. I always tell my friends who are intrested in getting started that RCBS and Hornady both make good products.
See what each one offers. See if one offers something the other dose not that you may or may not want.

Now I see 2 differences in the kits. One has a spray lube for shells and the other a lube pad(which I use). The spray lube will help you from getting pressure dents and lube pad lets you lube only what needs to be. I have not personally used the spray. Hornady has a didgi scale and RCBS has a Mechanical scale. I have the 5-0-5 scale and a no name brand didgi scale. So I cannot give you a fare opinion on the scales.

Just remember not to buy Lee equipment!

Now if you want some info on 6.5x55 Swedish reloading let me know. I m currently getting my Mauser getting custom work done. This gunsmith is wicked nice and is letting me make payements! also not going to charge me a arm and a leg! http://www.customguns.us/
Old December 29, 2008, 12:11 PM   #4
mpstan

Thanks James,

This is my boy's rifle and I'm going to think this over some. I had a friend work up 100 rounds of Hornady 129 gr which we haven't shot yet. So I don't think I'm going to be in a huge hurry to buy the LNL before tomorrow just to get the free bullets.

Do you know anything about Lapua's 6.5mm 144 grain bullet? I am not sure but I think it has the highest BC I've ever seen. Maybe I would be sorry to have 500 rounds of Hornady 129 if I had a chance to shoot some of these Lapuas?

Thank you. Private message me if you want to take this to email.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:31 PM   #5
James Kain

Rifling

Do you know what the rifling is in his rifle? That could help us a lot to get started on bullet weight. The faster the rifling the heaver the bullets.

My Mauser liked 140Gr sp's

Now its getting a new barrel and I will have to start all over again finding the favoret. But knowing the what I call "speed" of the rifling will help your start in this.
Old December 29, 2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
I'm leaning towards Hornady's LocknLoad single stage kit for $300; also considered rcbs.
Definitely go with the Hornady. And 500 free bullets won't hurt either.

Quote:
My Mauser liked 140Gr sp's
Many European rifles in this caliber are given really tight twists to stabilize the 160 gr bullets loaded in miitary ammo. Those rifles generally shoot well with heavy for caliber bullets.

Quote:
But knowing the what I call "speed" of the rifling will help your start in this.
That "speed" you refer to is called the rate of twist, twist rate, or simply twist. You can measure your current twist and specify a barrel with that rate of twist when you have it rebarreled.
Taylor Machine
Old December 29, 2008, 01:32 PM   #7
James Kain

Thank You for correcting me. Sometimes names slip my memory. Those are the one thing that never seem to stick. That when we ask the VA whats in that little blue pill?
Funny thing is my job in the army was to repair fire arms!

Now another thing just to add to the pondering would be to check out Lyman. They are a good co. that dose not charge a arm and a leg for there reloading equipment. There equipment also are very durable just as Hornady and RCBS.

Now are you stuck with the 129Gr bullets or can you pick from a few dif types?
Old December 29, 2008, 02:51 PM   #8
mpstan

Thanks guys,

I am NOT commited to 129gr Hornadies; that's just the one that was available and caught my eye when I ordered Lapua brass from Grafs.

Since then I've been made aware that my Tikka's one twist per 8 inches loves longer heavier bullets. Also since then I've been made aware of Berger and Lapua bullets..... Lapua makes a 144 grain that has a ballistic coefficient of .638.... better than any MatchKings.... I wonder if that translates to real practical advantage....

I'll check out Lymans.

Thanks again!
Old December 29, 2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Wildalaska

Quote:
Lapua makes a 144 grain that has a ballistic coefficient of .638.... better than any MatchKings.... I wonder if that translates to real practical advantage....
For deer hunting you may want to try Nosler 140s, Lapua 156 megas, lapua 140 Naturalis, Nosler 130ABs or Norma 156 Alaskans

WildihavesomemegadataAlaska ™