The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 28, 2008, 07:58 PM   #1
rrholmes

Colt MK IV Series 80 Government model 380 Disassembly

Does anyone have a source book or video tape/ DVD of the assembly/disassembly of the great little Colt .380? It looked just like the 1911 writ small and I am very familiar with those, but there are several differences I see on looking at the receiver. The slide is just the same but the lower is different. I'd like to purchase a good armourer's course on this pistol. Any one know of one or could you tell me how to disassemble it for detail cleaning and reassemble it? Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 28, 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
postal1911

here ya go

http://www.reloadbench.com/downloads...utoPistols.pdf
Old December 28, 2008, 10:32 PM   #3
IZinterrogator

I take mine apart just like a 1911, remove the recoil spring plug, pull the slide stop, take the slide off of the frame, and take out the bushing, recoil spring, and barrel. Nothing to it. The manual suggests removing the slide stop first, but then you're fighting the recoil spring the whole time.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 28, 2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Playboypenguin

It is pretty much just like a 1911. Just remember that the safety lever actually holds the little piston in place. If you are not careful it will shoot across the room never to be seen again. Do not ask me how I learned that.