The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2009, 08:26 PM   #1
longcall911

Leupold or Trijicon on a .308?

I just bought a DPMS LR-308B which comes with a flat top, rail. I am now trying to decide which scope to put on it and wouldn't mind some feedback on which might work out better for me.

For the most part, I'l be shooting at paper no more than 300 yards. I am concerned about eye relief and am guessing that the Trijicon TA01NSN (kit with mount and backup iron sights)

would be a little more flexible with positioning than the combo of a Mark2 scope with a LaRue extended eye relief mount. (the Mark4 is a bit too expensive for me.)

Any opinions regarding one over the other are appreciated.

/*tom*/
Old February 5, 2009, 10:18 PM   #2
lipadj46

Instead of a mk2 look at the VX-III line while they are still available on clearance. You will get a much better scope. Honestly the mk2's are just VX-II's with target knobs and are very overpriced for what you get. Any trijicon ACOG would be a better choice. For a traditional target scope There are so many better scopes than a mk2 it is not even funny. Also remember Leupold will put any knobs on any scope so if you find a good deal on a VX-III and send it in to get M1 or M3 turrets put on you will have a mk4 for not much more than you would have paid for the mk2.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
flyboy14

Take a look at trijicons hunting scopes I have one in a 3x9 with the single post. The glass is as good if not better that the vx3, clear as a bell and it handles low light better. Ive got one on my ar-15, and looking for another for my panther lr-308. The only drawback to the triangle, compared to a regular crosshair for me, is when punching paper your reference is not as consistent. Depends on what you prefer. On coyotes the triangle is awesome, when you pull the rifle up you have instant target acquisition. Compared to the price of an acog, you could buy one leupold, and a triji to see which you liked. Don't have any experience with the larue mounts. On my flattop ar-15 I have a b-square, and on the 308 a set of leupold high rings, both seem to work well. Again for the price, I think the larues are at least double that of b-square. Must be better quality? Don't know, just my 2 cents.
flyboy
Old February 24, 2009, 01:42 PM   #4
James R. Burke

I believe I would go with what lipadj46 is saying. Never had any problems with any make leupold plus the have a lifetime warranty.

Tags
308 , mark2 , scope