The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 26, 2008, 09:50 AM   #1
jcrim007

FIOCCHI ammo?

what do people here think about FIOCCHI ammo? i'm looking at stocking up on some ammo, and i came accross their stuff. in the past, i have mostly bought and shot remington and winchester rounds, and i never have issues. i've alos bought and shot some wolf stuff, also with know issues (that i can recall).

i was wondering if FIOCCHI is closer to Remington/Winchester quality or closer to the quality of wolf stuff. looks like FIOCCHI uses brass case, which is required at one of the indoor ranges i use.

thanks for the feedback!
Old December 26, 2008, 10:14 AM   #2
rduckwor

I shot a box of it in 45ACP. It seemed reasonably hot and no dirtier than WWB whhich I normally shoot as range ammo.

RMD
Old December 26, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3
VHinch

It's good stuff. It is a little hotter than domestic ammo, shoots reasonably clean, and the brass is good. I like it.
Old December 26, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4
gilfo

I use it in my Ket Tec P32 the ball is very hot and I feel better for SD.
Old December 26, 2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Atticus Thraxx

Buy it up brother. Like these guys said, runs a little hot in some calibers, but solid ammo otherwise.
Of course you can reload for....nevermind.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:02 PM   #6
wnycollector

I really like fiocchi ammo. I load my CZ-40B with their 165gr JHP ammo. I also use their low recoil 00 buck in my maverick 88. I really like the $$$ vs Quality of their ammo...high quality and low cost! Here is a nice review of their ammo
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

It seems like sportsmansguide and ammunitiontogo have the best prices.
Old December 26, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7
sholling

Good, slightly hot range ammo.
Old December 26, 2008, 02:09 PM   #8
sandbag

Hard primers?

I suspect Fiocchi .44 Magnum JSP may have hard primers insofar as my S&W 29-2 had quite a few no-ignition strikes in a box I used.Now the same ammo was problem free in my Ruger Vaquero and my Marlin 1894 carbine.
On the other hand,the 29-2 has never had a single glitch with any other ammo-Blazer,WWB,Georgia Arms,and Bullseye reloads.I'm not sure what to think.
Old December 26, 2008, 02:59 PM   #9
jcrim007

i may get beat down for this question... but when you say "hot" what exactly are you meaning??
Old December 26, 2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Don P

Fiocchi

Great stuff IMO. I would be buying more but down here in sunny warm FLA the price has gone to $289.00 per 1k+tax. Had to go to reloading. Burns nice and clean and a real nice crisp snap to it. To me its loaded just a touch to the hot side, BUT nothing that will damage you or your firearm. I do shoot what I have left of it BUT very sparingly. I have it in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp
Old December 26, 2008, 03:10 PM   #11
hamster

Good stuff. My favorite range ammo because it's clean and cheap. I have noticed that I sometimes get FTF because the primers are a bit hard, but just recock the hammer and bang!

"Hot": shoots faster. You'll feel a little extra kick.
Old December 26, 2008, 03:11 PM   #12
Hard Ball

Ive tried it and I like it.
Old December 26, 2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Silvanus

It's one of my favourite ammo brands. It's certainly closer to Remington/Winchester than to Wolf (:barf. Fiocchi 115 grs 9mm is the most accurate ammo in my Glock 17.

I also use a lot of .38 and .357 Fiocchi brass to reload, it's good quality as far as I can tell.

Quote:
runs a little hot in some calibers, but solid ammo otherwise.
IMO that's a good thing
Old December 26, 2008, 03:19 PM   #14
B. Lahey

It's better than Remington/Winchester.
Old December 26, 2008, 03:38 PM   #15
jcrim007

thanks hamster for filling me in
Old December 26, 2008, 03:44 PM   #16
jcrim007

also, thanks to all for your feedback. i may get me some...
Old December 26, 2008, 07:43 PM   #17
Heepstress
Registration in progress

Fiocchi

My Keltec P-32 loves Fiocchi FMJ and JHP, and I prefer it over all other brands for this gun. It's more precise (making me look more accurate) and cycles very well in the P-32. I haven't noticed any more kick, just very reliable brass ejection and chambering.
Old December 26, 2008, 08:58 PM   #18
Tom2

Hmmm. I just saw on another website that some guy bought a bunch of Fiocchi ammo and is PO'd about it. Says all the .40 cal. stuff has deformed HP bullets, and that their .32 cal. will not cycle his p-32 pistol at all. Says it fires but will not eject the cases. So he thinks F. is junk and was telling everyone to avoid it. I got some of their .32 ball and the specs make it look pretty hot, but I think he was using a HP version. As for me the stuff always seems to work in the limited usage I have had. I have confidence enough to be a repeat customer. I like their .357, that pointed FMJ load and got some of the SP to try also.
Old December 27, 2008, 06:31 PM   #19
donato

I have used Fiocchi 9mm 115 gr. XTP/JHP in my CZ P-01. I never had a malfunction; it is at least as clean as Blazer Brass; I found it to be as accurate as Hornady XTP/JHP. As far as hotter, it did seem a bit hotter than other stuff, but don't be tricked here. A factory rep stated that the published velocity data is based on testing firing with a barrel length of 200mm (almost 8 inches). It is definitely not +P ammo.

The reason I no longer use it as range ammo is cost. Locally, it was costing me $23.00/box of 50.

I now use Selliers & Bellot 9mm 115 gr. FMJ for the range - a lot cleaner than Fiocchi and Blazer Brass; it's accurate; it costs me $12.xx/box of 50.
Old December 27, 2008, 06:51 PM   #20
mygunsbigger

Fiocchi .380 jhp

I bought it because it was the cheapest hollow points and i wanted to make sure that my P3AT would be able to feed the hollow points i was going to be keeping in it. Basically, i didnt want to put 20 rds of speers through it for 20 bucks when i could put 50 rds of Fiocchi HPs through it for the same price.It cycled fine through 10 mag-fulls, limited experience with the brand but overall satisfied.

*i noticed that once a kel tec gets dirty though, it wont feed anything! I keep her clean when she's in my back pocket.
Everybody seems to want a carry gun that weighs nothing, is invisible, can't miss, hits like the hammer of Thor, and never runs out of ammo. And if your choice doesn't do all this, somebody will tell you what a bad choice it is.

-44 AMP
Old December 27, 2008, 09:08 PM   #21
BillCA

Fiocchi is good stuff. I've never had any problems getting it to ignite (hard primers). Simply testing some of it in your gun is the way to go.

Fiocchi's JHP's (with the exception of the newer XTP bullets) are about like shooting premium 1980's ammo. It works, though you may not get the constant and reliable expansion of newer JHP's. For someone who needs JHP ammo on a budget, it's a very good value.

The lower per-round price also means that you can use it in high-capacity pistol magazines if it shoots accurately in your gun. For instance, you could load your XD, Beretta 92 or similar pistol with 5-6 rounds of expensive SD ammo like Cor-Bon or Speer Gold Dot and fill out the rest of the magazine with Fiocchi JHP ammo. This gives you the best JHP rounds up front for SD. If things turn to poop and you need more than six shots, you still have 9-10 good high performance JHP rounds as follow-up.

In my experience, Fiocchi is a good value. It burns clean, is consistent from shot to shot and is decently accurate for the price. They don't appear to use much in the way of flash retardants. Recoil and muzzle blast can be more than some other brands, but nothing excessive.
Old December 27, 2008, 09:14 PM   #22
nutty ned

Good, I've used .32S&W long, .45acp, and 9mm.
Old December 28, 2008, 01:17 AM   #23
KChen986

Fio .45acp

The range here only lets me shoot their ammo, which happens to be FIOCCHI .45ACP. I *do not* like it. Too dirty. I occasionally get jams w/ FIO. I prefer Blazer which shoots cleaner and never gives my .45 a problem.
Old December 28, 2008, 09:07 PM   #24
finrot

used it a lot,had 3 from 1 box ftf and 1 hang fire(about a 3 second delay).If you never had one they are weird.I just figured a batch of bad primers
Old December 28, 2008, 11:07 PM   #25
vox rationis

I've shot boxes upon boxes of their 9mm truncated FMJ out of my G17 and I've never had a problem, pretty good stuff in my opinion