The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 23, 2008, 01:33 AM   #1
jfrey123

National Guard and CCW

So I'm debating the idea of joining the Nat'l Guard in my state. Is there anyone who can speak from direct experience (ranking NCO, former Guard'smen) who can answer the following:

Will being a Weekend Warrior in my state's National Guard affect, regulate, remove, hinder or otherwise screw up my ability to carry a firearm on my off hours?
Old December 23, 2008, 02:41 AM   #2
#20fan

My Son is NG in NV, no problem with getting and maintaining his permit.
Old December 23, 2008, 03:12 AM   #3
armsmaster270

As a former M.P Senior Investigator and civilian police officer, as long as you don't wear it while you are at drill or Annual Training you should be good to go. As a police officer and M.P. Investigator I was not allowed to carry my civ. weapon on duty only my Military issued weapon.
Old December 23, 2008, 03:12 AM   #4
hoytinak

Just don't wear it on duty (or on base) and you'll be good.
Old December 23, 2008, 09:06 AM   #5
stevelyn

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not on a drill.

The NG doesn't own your arse like active duty does.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:04 AM   #6
vranasaurus

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, DO NOT RELY ON IT AS SUCH. IF YOU ARE A SERVICE MEMBER PLEASE CONSULT YOUR SERVICING SJA OFFICE AND IF NOT CONSULT A PRIVATE ATTORNEY.

I am a full time paralegal NCO in the Army Reserve, and here is what I know.

You can't carry a personally owned firearm while in a federal government building (I am sure the state buildings have a similar regulation), you can't carry a personally owned firearm while on duty even if outside a restricted building(I am not sure about off duty but still in uniform but I will probably ask one of our attorneys as soon as I get my CCW my thought is that the answer will be no), and CCW is not allowed on military installations.

This will have no effect on your ability to carry while off duty. Just be aware that should you go to your duty location or to a military installation to while off duty you can't carry in the building or on the installation. Illegally carrying a firearm on a military installation or in a federla building could possibly result in felony charges.

Now there are some issues I am not familiar with because the NG is a little different than the Army Reserve in that most NG duty is performed under title 32 and is regulated by state law. And state buildings have different laws that govern them.

There are issues with whether or not you can have a firearm in your car at your duty location, allowing you to carry immediately following the completion of your duty. Federal law says you can't have a firearm in a federal building but there is some case law that says the parking lot is not part of the building so the law doesn't apply. But states may have laws that forbid firearms in the parking lots of state buildings.

Also be aware that the commander can make regulations concerning firearms. He could say that no firearms are allowed in the parking lot. Being caught in violation of this order could result in disciplinary action.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore quetions let me know.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Drachenstein

Don't carry a personal weapon on duty or in uniform. Don't bring a personal weapon on any military reservation without purpose ie; hunting, transporting to and from the arms room. Check current post regulations and commanders policies concerning personally own weapons. Each Post is similar yet different so don't assume; it's the quickest way to lose your weapon.

BTW, there is no CCW on a military reservation.

Last edited by Drachenstein; December 23, 2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old December 23, 2008, 02:06 PM   #8
jfrey123

Thanks for the advice. I was mainly referring to off duty. I've been on bases before as a sales rep and, while I'm no expert at all on military law, I knew a gun on base was a big, big no-no.
Old December 23, 2008, 02:22 PM   #9
scorpion_tyr

Guns on base aren't a big no-no. Just not your guns. A lot of bases will let you store it at the armory for a few hours or days. I've done it before, not a huge deal, just a little bit of paperwork. As far as off-duty there's nothing that should hinder you from CC while off duty. Even active-duty folks have no problem getting a permit or anything. If you're ever pulled over or anything by LE, just show them your DL, military ID, and CCL. The combination of the three just might get you out of the ticket. It's worked for me before
Old December 23, 2008, 03:26 PM   #10
kraigwy

The NG gives no rights to carry, but also the NG has no control of what you legally carry OFF DUTY.

There are exceptions, as in LE, most of my career in the NG I was also a police officer. (AK ARNG 73-92, APD 74-94) Police Officers in my state (Alaska) were required to carry at all times. I carried with no problems. Also in Alaska, we had joint juriorstriction on Ft Rich and EAFB, I had no problems carrying on their bases or anywhere else in the state. But that is Alaska.

I also carried when ever I traveled (NG Pistol and Rifle teams).

The advantage I had, was I could combine the two, I carried a 1911a1 USGI, and most of the time since I went to OCS, I was issued a 1911a1. I carried my own do didnt have to deal with the arms room issues.

It was also handy when I traveled with my units Combat Pistol Team. I used my own. It was strickly stock.

But again to answer your orginal question, if you are a NG soldier, there is nothing to prevent you from excersizing your Concealed Carry, when not on NG duty, and off base.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 24, 2008, 03:28 PM   #11
armedandsafe

This brings back memories.

When I was in the Guard, I often went to drill with a pistol on my hip and a rifle or shotgun in my hands.

Of course, this was in Oregon in the mid to late 50's

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old December 24, 2008, 09:37 PM   #12
support_six

If I remember correctly, the concealed carry laws in Idaho allow "AGR" soldiers to carry concealed (off duty since the laws governing privately owned weapons on post still apply) without a CCW. I was an "M" day guy so it didn't apply to me. I had a CCW anyway so it didn't matter to me.

What did torque me though was that in Idaho, any elected public official also can carry without a CCW! My wife doesn't really like guns but as an elected school board member, she had the right to carry without a CCW and I (23 years Army service) did not!
Old December 24, 2008, 10:44 PM   #13
overkill556x45

I'm IA national guard. It won't hurt you getting it, and won't do anything to your down time. IA is a "May Issue" state, and my local sheriff likes us military guys and war vets. It certainly shouldn't hurt you if you're in a "may issue" state.

There's no carrying on post or at your local armory. Uncle Sam wants you...to use his stuff or nothing at all.