AboveNBeyond

Can I compete with a XD .45?

If so in what competitions?
Old December 21, 2008, 04:00 PM   #2
KUHIO

XD = excellent comp gun. IDPA, USPSA, IPSC. Pick your poison
Old December 21, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
AboveNBeyond

OK Great, I feel dumb for asking now. lol but it looks like so many people use 1911's. Or is that just my false impression?
Old December 21, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4
KUHIO

Lots of folks DO shoot 1911's. Don't be intimidated by that. It doesn't make your weapon inferior. And with an XD, you'd most likely be classified to compete against shooters with like-weapons (i.e. glock, M&P, sig, etc.). Let the 1911 guys worry about other 1911 guys. Do you have any league in mind that you're considering joining? They all offer divisions for competitors shooting stock/production level pistols. In other words, you won't have to shoot against that guy with $5k invested in his gear
Old December 21, 2008, 04:58 PM   #5
AboveNBeyond

No real league in mind yet, I live near this range... http://www.yavapairecreationleague.com/Default.aspx and this one ... http://www.prescottsportsmensclub.com/

The first having several types from USPSA single and 3 gun, to Cowboy.

So I figure I'll go by and see whats up, but thought I'd ask here to learn what I can first.
Old December 21, 2008, 08:45 PM   #6
NRAhab

Yes, there are several different competitive classes that you can shoot in using an XD chambered in .45 ACP. Off the top of my head, in IDPA you could shoot it in Enhanced Service Pistol or Custom Defensive Pistol; and in USPSA you could shoot it in Production, Limited, or Limited-10.

Personally, I'd avoid shooting it in Limited or Production for USPSA. In production, everyone else will be running cupcake 9mm loads, and in Limited you're looking at some pretty tricked out guns, usually in .40 S&W. Again, this is all personal preference now - but I'd run it in Limited-10, that way you're not competing against a guy with a 20 round magazine hosing bullets from his .40.

For IDPA, I'd go with Custom Defensive Pistol as your division, and avoid ESP for the same reason I'd avoid Production or Limited in USPSA. Custom Defensive Pistol in IDPA has to be a .45 or other "major" caliber, so your XD will fit in quite nicely. Plus (and again, this is all personal opinion), the XD .45 would be almost tailor fit for the short courses of fire in IDPA, which are never more than 18 rounds.

Again, your mileage may vary.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:19 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

choices

I've seen numerous users at USPSA matches, competing in Limited Ten and Limited.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:14 PM   #8
KUHIO

Quote:
For IDPA, I'd go with Custom Defensive Pistol as your division

You could go CDP (Custom Defensive Pistol). However, for IDPA I reccomend you start in SSP (stock service pistol). Any semi auto 9mm or larger can compete in SSP, which is geared towards factory stock handgubs (see IDPA rule book for allowed upgrades/modifications). CDP is strictly .45 acp and allows an inclusive list of upgrades/modifications. For a beginner Definately go SSP, you can always move on to CDP.

Good luck
Old December 23, 2008, 09:03 AM   #9
NRAhab

Yeah, but remember he's running an XD in .45, not a cupcake 9 or downloaded .40.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:33 AM   #10
MrClean

I'd check out the club(s) you'd be shooting with and see how many folks shoot in each Division (Production, Limited, Limited-10, Single Stack)..... That makes a big difference. I shoot production because we have quite a few that shoot in that and most are good friends now. I love a 1911 but there just aren't many that shoot that here.... so it wouldn't be as much fun.

I'd hang out and see who shoots what. They probably might even have a 'club gun' or two you could try out.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old December 29, 2008, 12:46 PM   #11
9mm1033

Quote:
However, for IDPA I reccomend you start in SSP (stock service pistol).
I don't think he can with a XD model in IDPA. I shoot a XD9 and it's in the ESP class. The XD in IDPA is not permitted in SSP, due to the so-called SA trigger system (Glocks of course are exempt).
Old December 29, 2008, 08:25 PM   #12
KUHIO

Quote:
I don't think he can with a XD model in IDPA. I shoot a XD9 and it's in the ESP class. The XD in IDPA is not permitted in SSP, due to the so-called SA trigger system (Glocks of course are exempt).

Ah yes, good call 9mm1033. I overlooked that. He would need to shoot ESP. Those darn Glocks!
Old December 31, 2008, 02:57 AM   #13
Wagonman

Does anyone know of competitions around Chicago?
Old December 31, 2008, 08:52 PM   #14
Ken O

Wagonman, go to USPSA's http://www.uspsa.com/ link, and on the right side of the page is "Find a Club" a place to type in your zip or state.

For IDPA go here: http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=IL .

There should be clubs not far from you.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:39 AM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...feel dumb for asking now..." If you hadn't asked you wouldn't have known one way or the other. The only stupid question really is the one not asked.
What class you shoot in, in any of the shooting games, doesn't matter either. Competitive shooting is about having fun shooting. It is too and you'll meet some truly great people.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:10 PM   #16
Tony C

Uspsa + Xd .45 (5")

Above And Beyond,

I just shot my first USPSA match. I planned on using my 1911 but as luck would have it the night before I stripped the grip-screw studs out of the grips. I fell back to my 5" Tactical XD in .45. It was fairly new to me, I only have about 300 rounds through it, so I was not as comfortable with the thought of using it as I was my 1911.

I am hooked, both on USPSA and the XD .45. I shot in the bracket "Limited 10", seemed to be the best bracket so I could use my production gun but also take advantage of the larger caliber.

Long story short, the XD works great for this. What ever you decide, have fun.
Tony C
Willamette Valley, OR
Old January 27, 2009, 10:17 PM   #17
Ken O

I really like my 5" Tactical .45 also. I had the compitiion trigger job put on it from the custom shop before I got it. I also am more used to the 1911, but I shot the XD more than the 1911 for IPSC matches this year. I shot in both the limited 10, and Limited class. The extra three rounds in Limited can come in handy, but it does throw you in with the larger capacity guns. You could also put the extenstions on the mags for a few more round. Its all fun, whatever trips your trigger...